Diabetic clinic

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
Hi all, in a few weeks I have clinic with our practice nurse for fasting bloods and then I have an appointment with the diabetic GP a week later. This will be my first diabetic clininc, I have however had several visits to the diabetic GP over the past 5 months sorting out medication etc.

Apart from bloods what am I to expect. I quiver at the thought of Dr's, hospitals etc so it would really help to know.

Thanks

Al

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Ideally you may want to suggest to the nurse that you have an Hba1c test immediately after the appointment at the local hosptila pathology clinic so that the results can be back with the GP within a week; this is not a fasting test. The nurse may want to postpone the Hba1c test for 3 months but it is a lot more useful than the fasting test

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
Daibell said:
Hi. Ideally you may want to suggest to the nurse that you have an Hba1c test immediately after the appointment at the local hosptila pathology clinic so that the results can be back with the GP within a week; this is not a fasting test. The nurse may want to postpone the Hba1c test for 3 months but it is a lot more useful than the fasting test

Hi thanks, our doctors surgery does all our bloods. They took fasting bloods plus a Hba1c to diagnois me (and various others to check liver , kidney etc). Gp did say they would do another at diabetic clinic and after reading on here that you dont have to fast for this test, I did ask him if I had to fast for the day of the tests and he said yes and had a letter confirming this.

Fair play they are pretty quick with results. I had the test midday on the monday and by 10am on the following day had a phone call off the nurse telling me I was def diabetic and I waas to see the diabetic Gp that morning. Had other tests to rule out causes of my tiredness and they were on the system withing 48 hrs. So think we are very lucky in this respect.

Im worried about foot test and if they are going to do any other tests that I should be prepared for :shifty:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sounds like you have a well-organised surgery. The doc probably wants to do a fasting test, cholesterol etc as well as Hba1c and these are fasting tests so they dictate the start of day test. I have a mid-term 6 monthly Hba1c and that is any time during the day but the annual multiple tests are fasting. The foot test for me and others tends to be a tickle test or a timing fork test to check that your nerves can detect the vibration (test for neuropathy). The only other test is to take a urine sample to check kidney & liver function. Eye-sight is normally done annually at the local hospital retinopathy clinic. They will weigh you as well.

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
Daibell said:
Hi. Sounds like you have a well-organised surgery. The doc probably wants to do a fasting test, cholesterol etc as well as Hba1c and these are fasting tests so they dictate the start of day test. I have a mid-term 6 monthly Hba1c and that is any time during the day but the annual multiple tests are fasting. The foot test for me and others tends to be a tickle test or a timing fork test to check that your nerves can detect the vibration (test for neuropathy). The only other test is to take a urine sample to check kidney & liver function. Eye-sight is normally done annually at the local hospital retinopathy clinic. They will weigh you as well.

Phew, thanks will stop worrying now.
They are pretty good at our surgery apart from ''some'' of the receptionist - some are lovely but some are just out not to listen or help(got a few stories) . Some are really fantastic up there and go out of their way and I always make sure I thank them. :D

Will be glad to get my feet tested as had a lot of pain before I was diagnosed but thankfully it is getting easier, so hopefully they can now keep an eye. GP does know about it.

I will be honest I think I have been lucky with the care I have recieved since we found out I was diabetic, just a shame it wasnt picked up considering for the past 4 years or so I have had to go every 3 months for reviews - but thats another story :(