Diabetic Contraception

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I've been warned that going on the combined pill isn't adivasble for diabetics because of the increased risks of blood clots and so on. I decided to go on the mini-pill and have been using Cerazette for a month or so now. I'm not entirely happy with this particular method though and was wondering if any diabetic women can recommend a diabetic friendly contraceptive method? (aside from condoms obv)

Thanks,

Baby_Angel

lilibet

Ive never heard the combined pill being indicated as being dangerous for diabetic woman- any more than general population. It has some protective factors ie ovarian cancer, and as long as you dont have pre existing complications, it should be ok as people with existing micro and other vascular damage are at risk generally. So if thats not you, shouldnt be an issue

I know the older you get the less keen on it they are, but doesnt mean they wont prescribe it

However, if the mini pill doesnt suit, other types of contraception include implants and of course intra uterine devices (Mirena coil is cited as being most modern). I personally wouldnt touch an implant with a barge pole. I dont like the idea of it and anecdotal suggestions are that its problematic

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
The implant has been fab for me.... Absolutely wonderful.

Can't take the coil, the idea creeps me out, plus friend had a problem with the strings and her partners piercing :roll:
It goes in, stays in. Had no problems with it, and i really suffered on the pills.

The pills are okay for diabetics, as log as you don't have any other risks for heart disease, i/e family history, smoker etc.
What exactly about the mini-pill is it that you don't like?

Coil's are okay, copper ones especially if you don't like hormones.
Implant is great, the injections are okay, but i woudn't reccomend them if you've had problems with hormonal based BC before, as once they're in, they're there for 3 months.

diabetic_tigs

Hey
I got told the same thing when i first saw my gp about this, i too got put on cerezette, and oh my gosh, it was awful!!! it made me feel ******, depressed and messed my periods up completely :evil:
I stuck with cerezette for about a year as i thought it was the only option available, but then i told the doc just how dissatisfied i was...
cut a long story short, he said (this was a dif doc from the first one) that as long as my blood pressure remained good, and i exercised and tried to keep sugars under control then id be fine on the combined pill, so he prescribed me microgynon 30.. been on that for 2 years and have not had any problems, and all the previous problems from cerezette are now non existant :)
my advice would be to talk about it again with your doc, explaining that you're not happy with cerezette
hope this helps
tigs x