Diabetic Craft Club

hornplayer

Lol, everyone likes different things. There are a lot of beautiful paintings in the exhibition. Mine are very different from the others on show. I try not to spend too much time looking at other people's work because I don't want to be too influenced by them, but it does mean I worry sometimes if they fit in.
Some of the works were very over priced. (- In my opinion, obviously. ) There aren't many people wandering into galleries in mid Wales who are going to spend thousands of pounds on a painting .

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes it's good to be a purple cow! Stand out from the crowd and be unique. X

Reactions: 4 people

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
4da62d0551c12e1e59bb736cd5765286_thumb.jpg

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Very nice. Looks quite delicate, did it take a while to make? My fingers can't cope with fine yarns now. I could still do it but the extra rows and stitches would mean resting my hands too often.

Sorry to hear about your fingers. It seems to be the fashion to do arm knitting these days, it might provide another avenue for you to unleash your pent up creative juices. Heehee.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did a pattern making course (part one) today. It was good but, OMG, you need to concentrate! Have made my first toile and it only needs a little bit of adjustment. Please, someone out there, tell me it gets easier if you do it a few times!

Reactions: 3 people
S

Sable_Jan

I did a pattern making course (part one) today. It was good but, OMG, you need to concentrate! Have made my first toile and it only needs a little bit of adjustment. Please, someone out there, tell me it gets easier if you do it a few times!
Is that dressmaking patterns?
I'm sure it must get easier as with all things new.......we master a little bit then move on to master a little more and the more we master the more the confidence grows......
I used to use the cheats method. Unpick the old worn items, press/iron them and use them as the pattern. Was chuffed to bits the first time I did it with my old faithful ski pants (you can tell how long ago it was as I mean the close fitting ones with stirrup elastic under the foot) and changed into them soon as they were done. Hubby never even noticed so felt a bit deflated......but not too much

AnniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes it does Lizzie. I think the key is really looking at your body shape because the adjustments you make will be aimed at getting similar results time on time.

AnniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is arm knitting when you tuck the needles under your arms rather than holding them in your hands? That's the way I have always knitted.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I just found this thread. I started learning to make basic jewelry last year. The cost of this hobby isn't cheap and good tools that do the proper job and last are a essential. First things I tried were making rings from old silver coins (pre 1947 coins as from 1947 onwards they are made from cupro-nickel). Took a lot of trial and error with a nylon hammer and a ring mandrel. I can also do basic silver soldering which is good for repairs and making pieces. Other things I do are get nice pebbles from the beach and cut and polish them with my Dremel power tool and hand finish. I also have diamond tipped engraving bits and want to get good at this so I can personalise pieces. This hobby is just for pleasure and makes unique gifts for friends and family and of course me and my house. Any other men on the thread ? :)

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Is that dressmaking patterns?
I'm sure it must get easier as with all things new.......we master a little bit then move on to master a little more and the more we master the more the confidence grows......
I used to use the cheats method. Unpick the old worn items, press/iron them and use them as the pattern. Was chuffed to bits the first time I did it with my old faithful ski pants (you can tell how long ago it was as I mean the close fitting ones with stirrup elastic under the foot) and changed into them soon as they were done. Hubby never even noticed so felt a bit deflated......but not too much
There you are Jan lol. Hello. ;)

S

Sable_Jan

Is arm knitting when you tuck the needles under your arms rather than holding them in your hands? That's the way I have always knitted.
Me too but we still have to use our fingers to hold the ends, put the needlepoint in the the next stitch and wrap the wool around....I really can't think of any other way very puzzling

S

Sable_Jan

I just found this thread. I started learning to make basic jewelry last year. The cost of this hobby isn't cheap and good tools that do the proper job and last are a essential. First things I tried were making rings from old silver coins (pre 1947 coins as from 1947 onwards they are made from cupro-nickel). Took a lot of trial and error with a nylon hammer and a ring mandrel. I can also do basic silver soldering which is good for repairs and making pieces. Other things I do are get nice pebbles from the beach and cut and polish them with my Dremel power tool and hand finish. I also have diamond tipped engraving bits and want to get good at this so I can personalise pieces. This hobby is just for pleasure and makes unique gifts for friends and family and of course me and my house. Any other men on the thread ? :)
Only a few of us seem to be here (of either sex)

hornplayer

Me too but we still have to use our fingers to hold the ends, put the needlepoint in the the next stitch and wrap the wool around....I really can't think of any other way very puzzling

nope. Never done it like that. Sounds really strange to me lol. I hold the needles in my hands, the way my grandmother taught me, with the wool wrapped around my index finger.

No, never seen arm knitting. - Don't your boobs get in the way??