Kezziej

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
26ef12f2a3a55f43459cd9de012368af.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Kezziej

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Awww thank you, I love her too. It was a friends Nan, it was a commission piece for her parents after she passed

Reactions: 2 people

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Y
Thank you! Do you find stuffing difficult? I put in little bits of stuffing one at a time and then spend some time kneading the knockers (dubious as it may sound LOL) until they've got the right shape. The receivers can also remove and add stuffing themselves because they're not closed up on the back, so they can adjust the shapes as they wish.

You can also send unstuffed knockers to the US charity, they don't mind doing the stuffing for you. :)
you are a true angel

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alright! :)

This is a pair I knit up in May. I have requests every now and then but they're usually the same. I buy a cute little bag from the dollar store with a card to personalize the gift, give care instructions and give them words of encouragement. I use the pattern from the US knitted knockers website and it's been received well by everyone I've knit for. :)

I never charge for them but do take optional donations so I can continue to knit for others in need without going broke in the process. I prefer to knit for local ladies in need, but send any excess for the US charity so they can redistribute them to women worldwide.

2016-05-30-1.jpg

That is such a good idea, and I've been looking online at them. On average how long do they take to make?

S

Sable_Jan

That is such a good idea, and I've been looking online at them. On average how long do they take to make?
Just found www.knittedknockersuk.com but the application to join the group has been suspended until October due to huge response after recent publicity. You join the group via Facebook when they're open again but you can also donate and send used postage stamps

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just found knittedknockersuk but the application to join the group has been suspended until October due to huge response after recent publicity. You join the group via Facebook when they're open again but you can also donate and send used postage stamps

I saw. However there's multiple patterns online that you don't have to was before starting to knit some (even if only for practice since the website insists you use their pattern). However there's other ways in which such items could prove popular, lol. My question on time was simply so as to work it into my schedule lol...

S

Sable_Jan

I saw. However there's multiple patterns online that you don't have to was before starting to knit some (even if only for practice since the website insists you use their pattern). However there's other ways in which such items could prove popular, lol. My question on time was simply so as to work it into my schedule lol...
Guess it depends how good you are? Not used double pointed needles for a while so would probs take me longer at first to get into the pattern and needles again. I expect once you're into it you could get them done quite quickly. DK cotton....

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Guess it depends how good you are? Not used double pointed needles for a while so would probs take me longer at first to get into the pattern and needles again. I expect once you're into it you could get them done quite quickly. DK cotton....

True.....

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

It really depends on cup size. I'm knitting up a pair of F-cups and each takes about 5-6 hours to knit up. The smaller ones run from 3-5 hours each generally.

w3wKGfv.jpg

The pattern only goes up to E, so I had to improvise on how large the F cup needed to be. As the stuffing can be adjusted I hope they're not *too* big lol.

If you go to http://www.knittedknockers.org and go to "How to" > "Make a Knocker", you get a whole bunch of options on how to knit. DPNs, crochet, flat and magic loop versions are all available in case one style of knitting doesn't suit you. :)

The UK and Dutch knitted knockers organizations work on a 'approved volunteer' basis. While I can sympathize with them wanting to maintain good quality in what they send out, I find it somewhat offensive that people get barred from making knockers for friends and family because the patterns end up restricted to approved volunteers. (The Dutch organization even went as far as to suggest that if you live in the Netherlands and want to knit knockers for Dutch ladies, you should get approval from them even if you use another pattern and don't want to participate in their program - I consider that utter madness and highly offensive in every single way, they do NOT have exclusive rights to this idea!) I don't support these versions of this charity for that reason. The US charity welcomes everyone and encourages you to start knitting knockers locally with their blessing even if you never get in touch with them beyond downloading their pattern, which is something I can get behind 100%.

I'm not saying that these places are bad, I just don't condone their methods and think that a charity like this ought to be accessible to everyone.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It really depends on cup size. I'm knitting up a pair of F-cups and each takes about 5-6 hours to knit up. The smaller ones run from 3-5 hours each generally.

w3wKGfv.jpg

The pattern only goes up to E, so I had to improvise on how large the F cup needed to be. As the stuffing can be adjusted I hope they're not *too* big lol.

If you go to http://www.knittedknockers.org and go to "How to" > "Make a Knocker", you get a whole bunch of options on how to knit. DPNs, crochet, flat and magic loop versions are all available in case one style of knitting doesn't suit you. :)

The UK and Dutch knitted knockers organizations work on a 'approved volunteer' basis. While I can sympathize with them wanting to maintain good quality in what they send out, I find it somewhat offensive that people get barred from making knockers for friends and family because the patterns end up restricted to approved volunteers. (The Dutch organization even went as far as to suggest that if you live in the Netherlands and want to knit knockers for Dutch ladies, you should get approval from them even if you use another pattern and don't want to participate in their program - I consider that utter madness and highly offensive in every single way, they do NOT have exclusive rights to this idea!) I don't support these versions of this charity for that reason. The US charity welcomes everyone and encourages you to start knitting knockers locally with their blessing even if you never get in touch with them beyond downloading their pattern, which is something I can get behind 100%.

I'm not saying that these places are bad, I just don't condone their methods and think that a charity like this ought to be accessible to everyone.

To tell the truth I was a little put off by having to apply to do it. However as I wish to sell my knitting and seeing I also like the idea of helping women who need it and doing a certain percentage for charity.

S

Sable_Jan

w3wKGfv.jpg

I didn't read that into it. I saw it said "approved" knitters but just thought of it has having a finite number of knitters "on the books" so to speak, so they wouldn't get inundated with more knockers than they know what to do with....
Having said that, I didn't go into it too deeply as I was reading it on my
phone.....

AnniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What a lovely idea. I'm sure that you would feel better about your appearance . The shape is really good.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't read that into it. I saw it said "approved" knitters but just thought of it has having a finite number of knitters "on the books" so to speak, so they wouldn't get inundated with more knockers than they know what to do with....
Having said that, I didn't go into it too deeply as I was reading it on my
phone.....

I'm sorry if I came off a little harsh! I just feel strongly about the way they manage it and if people are interested in knitting for these charities, I feel it's important to know the differences between them. Some of it is just my opinion though, and everyone is free to choose whichever charity they like. :)

What a lovely idea. I'm sure that you would feel better about your appearance . The shape is really good.

The feedback I've had has been more than positive. These don't require special bras (which can run up to €300 each easily) and they're very lightweight so they don't agitate the tender skin and scarring tissue.

S

Sable_Jan

I'm sorry if I came off a little harsh! I just feel strongly about the way they manage it and if people are interested in knitting for these charities, I feel it's important to know the differences between them. Some of it is just my opinion though, and everyone is free to choose whichever charity they like. :)

The feedback I've had has been more than positive. These don't require special bras (which can run up to €300 each easily) and they're very lightweight so they don't agitate the tender skin and scarring tissue.
Nothing to apologize for....and I get where your coming from......