Diabetic friendly midnight snacks :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Before diabetes, a typical midnight snack would be half a bag of crisps or a sandwich.
The sandwich would still be possible, preferably with only 1 slice of low carb bread, but I'd still have to inject for it which I don't like before bed.
The crisps are out of the question because they tend to spike me about 5 or 6 hours later, when I'm fast asleep. No way I can inject for that :(

I have some go to midnight snacks (mainly chicory leaves with hummus) but I fancied something different tonight. Went into the kitchen to see what I could find and ended up eating leftover cold cooked Brussels sprouts with cheap cream cheese with herbs.

They were amazingly good and might do as a tasty breakfast as well, if I hadn't eaten them all!

Do you have any surprising midnight snacks?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It's how I discovered celery with a little peanut butter is nice. It was a go-to when I was still snacking.

Reactions: porl69 and Antje77

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Haha, reminds me of my childhood ! My mother made me that, should try it again :)

Also nice with a little Boursin. Oh Dear, now I need it.

D

Deleted Account

Take care with hummus. Chickpeas are a weird one - some people digest them and others don't. So for some people they have no impact on BG whereas others see a spike.
So, before midnight snacking on hummus, I would recommend doing some daytime snacking.

I am not a midnight snacker but, if I was and was looking for low carb snacks, I would probably go for some very dark chocolate.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Take care with hummus. Chickpeas are a weird one - some people digest them and others don't. So for some people they have no impact on BG whereas others see a spike.
So, before midnight snacking on hummus, I would recommend doing some daytime snacking.

I am not a midnight snacker but, if I was and was looking for low carb snacks, I would probably go for some very dark chocolate.
Hummus seems fine to me, especialy late at night. And I eat a lot of it before bed :) And I often end up eating a piece of 85 or 90% chocolate as a dessert after the midnight snack :p
Have I mentioned that I just love midnight snacking?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is something I struggle to understand. The late night snacking was the hardest habit to crack for me. One reason is, or could be, that I take a double dose of a drug with my evening meal - a drug known to be an appetite promoter and the effects are what I now call the 'Gabapentin munchies'. About an hour and a half after a filling meal I get the Gaba munchies but 99% of the time I can ignore it.

Coincidentally, a few months ago whilst clearing through old paperwork I came across a letter from the consultant anaethetist at the pain clinic I attend advising my GP that he had raised the dosage of gaba.
It wasn't until later that I realised that the date on the letter roughly corresponds to the time that I noticed that night time snacking was getting out of hand because until the dosage was raised I hadn't had a problem with it but I did snack while reading and my reading tends to be in the evening.

So what I do not understand is how gaba can make me feel mild hunger while there is still food to be digested?
I will probably never know but I am going to experiment with lowering the dosage to previous levels to see what affect it has.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
if level is low a couple of jelly baby's see me through the night, I try not to eat late but was told a little cheese might be good

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
if level is low a couple of jelly baby's see me through the night, I try not to eat late but was told a little cheese might be good
Nothing to do with low levels, luckily :)
It's only that I like to eat my breakfast before bed!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I am peckish at bedtime, I send the dogs out for their latenight widdle, and then open the fridge and stare at the contents.
Usually end up with either
cheese
cold meat
or goatsmilk yog
depending on availability, of course.

A tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter also works very well.

The dogs like the first three, not so much the last two. :D

I find choc in the evenings will keep me awake, otherwise that would be my Go To. Every day. 24/7. 2 squares of 70% or higher.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
never tried peanut butter but will buy some and see what it is like must admit some times am peckish before bed but try not to eat anything so looking at what you all eat may give me some ideas

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doubt it would help you much but my go to solution for all instances of hunger outside of my usual 2 meals is a large mug of tea.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I am peckish at bedtime, I send the dogs out for their latenight widdle, and then open the fridge and stare at the contents.
Usually end up with either
cheese
cold meat
or goatsmilk yog
depending on availability, of course.

A tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter also works very well.

The dogs like the first three, not so much the last two. :D

I find choc in the evenings will keep me awake, otherwise that would be my Go To. Every day. 24/7. 2 squares of 70% or higher.
cheese is my choice also - both my dogs love it also and they also love the meat and goats cheese options. Unfortunately the nut butters don't work for me and they are not allowed in the house because one teaspoon will end up as half the jar eaten as I don't seem to have any control once I have eaten the first teaspoon.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Cauliflower, broccoli, celery, or raspberries )) Do not think i could eat that for a snack

Reactions: lazytech

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cauliflower, broccoli, celery, or raspberries )) Do not think i could eat that for a snack
I usually use a dip when eating raw veggies. (1 C of mayonnaise, 1 C of creme fraiche, 1 T minced parsley, 1 T dried dill weed, 1 T diced onion and salt to taste. It last for several days.)