Diabetic hypochondria & going barefoot

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed, and I wonder if this is something that everyone goes through.

Every little ache, pain, twinge or tingle that I'd previously have ignored, I'm now questioning whether it's a complication of diabetes. Riding my bike (and only riding my bike) I get some numbness in my hands. I think it's because my posture is wrong, with the seat post at the (calculated and measured) correct height, but the handlebars a little too low for comfort, even on full extension. I suspect I'm just putting too much of my body weight on my hands for long periods. Then the last couple of nights, I've had a light tingling in the smaller toes on my left foot.

Instantly, my brain starts screaming 'diabetic neuropathy.' It probably isn't (though the toes thing might be. I'm not sure how long I've gone undiagnosed: it could be up to a decade.) Do others suffer from this? And is it a 'newly diagnosed' thing, or does it continue?

Also, I keep reading that diabetics should never go barefoot. I'm almost always barefoot around my house, and even nip outdoors (to the car or into the back garden) without putting anything on my feet. I presume this is also neuropathy related, and if you begin to lose sensation in your feet, you might not notice injuries. Or do I have this wrong, and there's a good reason I should be investing in slippers right now?

Hi,

The bike thing? From what you are saying regarding posture.. Could (at a guess.) be road vibration comming up through the handlebars?
It can happen with prolonged use off power tools. (like an angle grinder?) which can leave the hands a little "spangly." The wrist on the load bearing arm too? Lol, especially after an 8 hour stint with it.
Before anyone suggests neuropathy, the non Ds I worked with felt it too.

The barefoot "thing," I've been hearing it for 44 years. Visual checks were Recomended too..? (Back in the day.)
To date I've never failed a prod check (They also check the pulse too.) with a DSN.

Last edited: