Diabetic macula edema

Helen1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just wondering… once you have treatment for diabetic macula edema, do you have to have it forever, to stop blindness occurring? Or do you just have the treatment once, and that stops it coming back? Has anyone had treatment, many years ago and now ok?
Thank you.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Helen.
Sorry I cannot answer your question. I hope someone will be along soon who can. Have you had treatment recently? Perhaps the best person to ask would be the opthalmologist who treated you?

Helen1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Helen.
Sorry I cannot answer your question. I hope someone will be along soon who can. Have you had treatment recently? Perhaps the best person to ask would be the opthalmologist who treated you?
I’ve got to go back tomorrow to see how things are since two months ago. To be honest, I have been unable to think of anything else, and I am so scared of going blind.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I was just wondering… once you have treatment for diabetic macula edema, do you have to have it forever, to stop blindness occurring? Or do you just have the treatment once, and that stops it coming back? Has anyone had treatment, many years ago and now ok?
Thank you.
I have just watched a webinar by the Macula Society, they will be putting this webinar on their website later on and it is very informative with a talk by an eye professional.

Helen1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just watched a webinar by the Macula Society, they will be putting this webinar on their website later on and it is very informative with a talk by an eye professional.
That’s great. Do you happen to have a link to this please?

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s great. Do you happen to have a link to this please?
If you improve your BG levels, it will improve your Macular Edema too. I've had it for years and used to have to go for eye scans at the hospital every 6 months or so. My last scan was in June and I've finally been discharged back to the National Screening program as the fluid has now been reabsorbed. There is hope