Diabetic Meal Ideas-Help!

Ianuesane

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a 4 yo dcg who they found to be diabetic last summer. Such a sweetheart about it all, she handles everything so well(probably much better than I would!). I'm running out of ideas for her. The problem is mainly snacks. Seems so many of our snacks are carb-filled. I do measure out what she can have, then give her chicken or cheese sticks if she needs more of something.

All my lo-carb cookbooks don't seem to be geared towards children's tastes or they're things she's not too crazy about.
Anyone else dealing with diabetic children and have some suggestions? Thanks!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My grand children seem to like sausages - I always take Coop ones when we visit as I can eat them too - they are expensive, but you get what you pay for - hard boiled eggs, proper cheese, not processed might be better - maybe try the mozzarella in liquid, as it is very mild. I slice mozzarella and interleave it with slices of tomato - watch out for the cherry tomatoes as they are high in sugar, and being bred for even higher carb content.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/snacks

I would also question whether she needs snacks as this is a modern invention. I've got 3 kids and always felt as if snack foods were a great way to sell junk food in places where small children hang out.
Is she very hungry or does she need them to maintain a normal blood sugar and not go too low?
She can grow and thrive on low carb foods eaten 3 times daily and it will make it easier to manager her insulin regime. I do think its unfair on her if you are giving snacks to any other kids so believe it is something that should be done as a family.