Diabetic neuropathy

Alan6240

Hi

Can diabetic neuropathy strike in your hands as well as your legs and feet?

Also, can you have diabetes neuropathy if your blood sugars are well controlled?

Many thanks

Reactions: Aj1981

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Alan

yes, people report neuropathy in hands as well as feet. The issue is damage to nerves cause by high blood glucose, and can potentially affect any nerve, but the longer ones are most at risk.

By definition diabetic neuropathy is caused by diabetes - there are other sorts of neuropathy caused by eg B12 deficiency or uraemia.

Information from Bilous and Donnelly "Handbook of Diabetes" ch 17.

I still have a small amount of residual neuropathy (it's a tingle these days) and I haven't had an out of range blood reading for over three years. It takes time for things to heal.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Also, can you have diabetes neuropathy if your blood sugars are well controlled?

Many thanks
If you have tingling and or pain in your hands, I would recommend seeing your GP. This could indicate something other than diabetic neuropathy, carpal tunnel syndrome for example.

Reactions: Aj1981 and Alan6240

Aj1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Many thanks
Hi @Alan6240,

I have had neurological issues since my Cervical Spine surgery many year back. However, since being diagnosed at Type 1, I have noticed that for the past year I am experiencing more symptoms. I get severe pain in my hands, fingers wrists, but for the passed few months my lower spine, waist, legs, chins, and feet have become worse.

At present my feet and toes are in so much pain that it is difficult to walk or put pressure on my feet. I find that when I am trying to sleep at night I feel it even more, hence unable to get any decent night sleep.

I did have a MRI Scan and saw a Neurologist privately as the NHS wait was so long, and they did confirm that there is issues with my nerves and spinal discs, and that the diabetes may be contributing to the symptoms that I am experiencing.

Currently, I am waiting for the pain clinic to get in touch with me, before I get referred to a Neurologist on the NHS, as I am not working now so therefore cannot afford to pay for private healthcare.

My BG levels fluctuate every day, however my average HBA1c results are around 64 mmol/mol.

I would recommend if you see your GP or Diabetes Nurse, then have a an appointment with the Neurologist who can request for a Nerve Conduction assessment, this will determine which specific nerves and muscles are being effected.

Reactions: Smarty_pants