Diabetic neuropathy

Tootsie84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello. I had gestational diabetes when pregnant with my youngest 8 years ago. It went away then I got diagnosed with type 2 back on 2018.

I am currently on ozempic, jardiance and metformin.

I have major back issues which radiated down my legs etc. I have osteoarthritis of the spine and bulging discs.
But after waiting on mri due to increased pain and weakness in my feet and legs I was basically told by the spinal surgeon that it was all in my head.

I must admit it has made my mental health spiral.

I cannot walk without aids. Have had to have bath lift installed. Need full help with all daily tasks and personal care. I am taking morphine, zapain and naproxen to manage the pain.

I recently saw a different lady for my diabetes checks. I had reduced sensations in my feet. Reduced blood flow. And she was asking me about symptoms I had. Which are:
1.Constant pain in feet and legs. Like sharp pains or burning constant. Recurrent pins and needles and numbness. Also get this in my fingers and hands.

2. Loss of balance. Poor coordination. Weakness.

Pain is constant but gets even worse at night.

3. Suffer badly with blood preassure and heart rate issues. Bloatedness. Constant constipation or diarrhoea.

The lady has done me an urgent referal for podiatry and diabetes clinic. She is saying something about diabetic neuropathy. And when I spoke to my normal diabetic nurse she says she also believes it is that.

But question is: wouldn't it have been picked up on mri or xrays?

I have been suffering last 18 months and it has gradually got worse and worse, and basically been told all in my head, so how come it's only just being brought up?

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I have no answers only to say how ignorant of the consultant! I would have really eye rolled him and a given a hard stare, usually works and then people are nicer :rolleyes:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The lady has done me an urgent referal for podiatry and diabetes clinic. She is saying something about diabetic neuropathy. And when I spoke to my normal diabetic nurse she says she also believes it is that.

Neuropathy is not visible on MRI or X-rays.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found this, which you might find interesting @Tootsie84

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I had gestational diabetes when pregnant with my youngest 8 years ago. It went away then I got diagnosed with type 2 back on 2018.

I am currently on ozempic, jardiance and metformin.

I have major back issues which radiated down my legs etc. I have osteoarthritis of the spine and bulging discs.
But after waiting on mri due to increased pain and weakness in my feet and legs I was basically told by the spinal surgeon that it was all in my head.

I must admit it has made my mental health spiral.

I cannot walk without aids. Have had to have bath lift installed. Need full help with all daily tasks and personal care. I am taking morphine, zapain and naproxen to manage the pain.

I recently saw a different lady for my diabetes checks. I had reduced sensations in my feet. Reduced blood flow. And she was asking me about symptoms I had. Which are:
1.Constant pain in feet and legs. Like sharp pains or burning constant. Recurrent pins and needles and numbness. Also get this in my fingers and hands.

2. Loss of balance. Poor coordination. Weakness.

Pain is constant but gets even worse at night.

3. Suffer badly with blood preassure and heart rate issues. Bloatedness. Constant constipation or diarrhoea.

I have been suffering last 18 months and it has gradually got worse and worse, and basically been told all in my head, so how come it's only just being brought up?
Diabetic neuropathy is a nerve condition, generally starting with the longest nerves first, and it won't show up on x rays or MRI. Mine improved no end when I reduced my blood glucose. All I get now is a very mild tingle, which is probably permanent damage, but it isn't pain.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ask for an appointment with a podiatrist so they can advise you with your feet as I’ve never seen one for over 17 years now so I couldn’t pass advice to you but for you to see one

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The article in post 4 above says that peripheral neuropathy will show up on an MRI apparently.