Diabetic or Paranoid? Help!

trusty

Bit of background. my mum was type 1 insulin dependent from age 33 onwards. Diabetes was a huge part of my life growing up.
Later on both of my Grans, and my maternal uncle were diagnosed type 2. And 4 years ago my best friend was also diagnosed.

Because of my family history I have always been vigilant for the symptoms, especially as I am now in my mid 40s and overweight (I am tall, and it is in all the right places thankfully, but weight is weight!).

Anyway, about 2 years ago I started having some symptoms, I went and had a blood test but nothing showed up. Since then I have had many common symptoms, dry mouth, frequent urination, headaches, nausea, and the occasional floaty feeling, which seems to go away if I have sugar. About 3 months ago I had a particularly bad "attack" in a cafe one lunchtime (it was 2pm and I had had nothing to eat that day) and thought I was going to pass out completely. I slugged back a Coke, then a wholemeal sandwich and whilst I was still trembling for a while I felt normal again in about 30/45 mins.

So I went back to the Drs and had another (non fasting) diabetes test. Again it came back non diabetic, and the Dr said there was no need to do the fasting test. Since then we have discovered I am anaemic and he has also put me on anti-depressants for my dry mouth/rash/sleeplessness issues. I get the impression he thinks my "hypos" are actually panic attacks.

Obviously he is the Dr, and I am going by his diagnosis but I don't feel the anti depressants are working at all, in that I don't feel any different and I have been on them for 9 weeks now. I still have the odd floaty feeling and my mouth is still dry, and I am urinating more than ever (though this could be the iron I am also taking).

The main problem is I remember my gran went for the test 5 times before it came back positive. My mum had to monitor her and basically confront the Dr with the diary of evidence before they gave her the fasting test.

Hence my question, should I just accept the Drs diagnosis and continue taking anti depressant tablets which I think are of no benefit at all, or is it likely that I am diabetic? If it is the latter then I could be doing serious damage to my body/organs if it doesn't get picked up soon. Any thoughts?

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Trusty, i'm not a medical professional but the symptoms you are having sound similar to when my blood sugar drops. There is something called reactive hypoglycemia (low blood sugar which occurs within 4 hours of eating, this can be a sign of pre diabetes) Could you maybe get yourself a cheap monitor and some strips off ebay and when you do feel trembly test it, if it is less than 3.8 then that would conform low blood sugar, and if when you feel thirsty/nausea/frequent urination test and if its above 8mmol then thats a good indicator of pre diabetes or diabetes.
Sorry i can't be of any more help

Sever

Try the diabetes test from boots i think it is free , i would change drs if you are ! Your not being paranoid at all you know your body more then anyone and you know something is not right , good luck i wish you all the best x