Diabetic retinopathy questions!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes, bg readings. If fluctuating (especially from say 5.0 to 9.0 that fluctuation is 4.0 and too much).
If a steady say 7.0 to 9.0 the variation would only be 2.0.

Persons on insulin can over treat hypo's and go from 3.0's to say 10's giving a large variation...

Its these variations that need, I think, to be kept to a minimum.
Personally, I am better at levels 5-8.0 than 3.0- 10's....

Reactions: 4 people

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, bg readings. If fluctuating (especially from say 5.0 to 9.0 that fluctuation is 4.0 and too much).
If a steady say 7.0 to 9.0 the variation would only be 2.0.

Persons on insulin can over treat hypo's and go from 3.0's to say 10's giving a large variation...

Its these variations that need, I think, to be kept to a minimum.
Personally, I am better at levels 5-8.0 than 3.0- 10's....
Gotcha, thanks.

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No one can answer that, some people never develop diabetic retinopathy despite having long-term diabetes as where others can develop background retinopathy after only a few years, as DD says try and keep the bg swings from high to low to a minimum and keep your bp and cholesterol levels in check, the website I posted earlier in the thread has a wealth of information on diabetic retinopathy.
Thanks Noblehead, that's a really useful link you posted, best I have seen so far. Lot's of practical advice.

Reactions: 2 people

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, if you have had proliferative retinopathy and it has been treated by pan retinal laser plus a vitrectomy (in one eye) can it ever return? My doc refers to it as 'treated retinopathy'. Thanks

diabeticguy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your offer to answer questions. I have systematically gone from no trace of Ret: to background ret. to maculopathy to now what was suggested at last weeks test as pre-proliferative retinopathy. I have to suggest that I really cannot remember what was said as my memory is so poor after a recent stroke. I know he mentioned returning in 3 months and possibly needing laser treatment. It all seems strange as I have 20/20 vision and other than a few floaters in both eyes I do not have any disturbances in connection with my eyes at all. Could it be possible that the Dr is being very cautious or can one still have retinopathy type issues with no distinguishing symptoms/visual impairment's. I am now at the stage just under 'panic' as my fear of blindness is becoming more acute.

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
^^ it is possible to have pre prolif without noticing a difference. I went through all of this very rapidly in pregnancy and eventually it disturbed my vision a lot. Like you, I was very worried however I went through all the stages until I had the vitrectomy (what I felt like was the last option) and all is relatively ok now vision wise- I can cope anyway hopefully they can laser if needed and they must feel that it's not progressing too rapidly or they would have done it immediately (this is what they did to mine).

Reactions: 2 people