Diabetic Retinopathy Screening?!

BlaiseS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my first eye screening this week (Friday) and I'm already anxious over what actually happens.

I understand that I'll be given eye drops that sting... How long does it sting for? Then they'll do all the pictures and everything that I have no problem with.
My main worry is the blurring, I know it'll be so bad I wont be able to drive but how bad is it? Will I be able to watch TV with some sunglasses on or should I just plan to sleep for 2-6 hours?
I know it's something I HAVE to do, I just like to be prepared, if you have any advice please give it me! I'll literally do anything to make it more comfortable!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Look up "First Diabetic Eye Screening" on the forum. You'll find all the answers

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't panic, it only stings for about 30 seconds, I just blink like crazy to get it to go away faster lol

Do make sure you take sunglasses, the slightest bit of light outside really makes you squint.

I've been shopping etc after I've been to my appointment before so you don't need to go to bed but maybe don't plan much for after just in case you do find your eyes to be too sensitive :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only had one, last year and got my next on Wednesday. Didn't need the drops, though it might be different in depending on where you are. My optician was fairly laid back about them, reckoned the snaps were clear enough without. I went by car and I don't think it is wise to drive too soon after having them done. I could be wrong on that.
Good luck

Mels30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I have diabetic retinopathy and have had those drops and eye tests hundreds of times over the last fifteen years. The drops sting for several seconds only but you may want to go easy on the mascara to avoid panda eyes. The drops dialate your eyes so they can take pictures of the back to look for new leaky blood vessels (retinopathy). Your eyes will be light sensitive for a few hours so you might want to wear sunglasses even on a cloudy day. There's no reason why you can't watch TV or carry on your day as usual afterwards.
It's really nothing to afraid of and it's vital to your vision. Without these tests I would be blind in my right eye by now.
Good luck.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My main worry is the blurring, I know it'll be so bad I wont be able to drive but how bad is it? Will I be able to watch TV with some sunglasses on or should I just plan to sleep for 2-6 hours?

You can't drive but you can still watch tv, don't worry about it as it only mildly stings when the dilating drops are administered. Good luck.

BlaiseS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your replies, I'd read everything online about the 'slight' stinging but wanted to make sure it really was SLIGHT. You know how these things tell porkies :)

I'll definitely be wearing my sunglasses and no make up! And I'm glad I won't be completely blurred :)

Thanks again guys!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

DrumHit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorance.
Hi BlaiseS I have just had my first diabetic eye screening and it wasn't half as bad as I was led to believe. The stinging of the drops lasted about 10 seconds and when it was all over I went for a coffee, wearing my sun glasses and it was fine. Although the day was quite dull my eyes were very sensitive to the light, so the shades really helped.
This forum and most, if not all the people using it are a valuable source of good practical information.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had one on Monday, the drops didn't sting me at all. The brightness and slight blurryness for a few hours after was strange but ok, I was back to normal after about 4 hours.

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The no mascara was the worst thing about it. Wore my huge sunglasses and pretended I was Jackie O.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The no mascara was the worst thing about it. Wore my huge sunglasses and pretended I was Jackie O.

I have a solution! Blinc Mascara is amazing - it goes onto your lashes like a normal mascara but dries into tubes, coating the lashes. It really does stay put - I've actually had a shower and washed my hair without it budging at all. To remove it, soak a flannel in warm water and apply slight pressure. The tubes just slide off.

I promise I don't work for them and I completely appreciate it's a trivial worry, but I'm a huge mascara fan and no mascara makes for a sad day!

With regard to the stinging - I agree with the above poster - it's very slight and only lasts a few seconds - you'll be fine.

Hope it goes well.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It looks from your profile picture that you have dark eyes but just in case, I have been told at my clinic that blue eyes take longer to return to normal than brown - no idea why!

I find it difficult when blurry because I keep trying to read stuff (my phone, the tv guide ...) and the extra effort to focus gives me headaches then but as others have said, you will be able to see enough for most things.

And I hardly feel a sting most times so you may be lucky too :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It looks from your profile picture that you have dark eyes but just in case, I have been told at my clinic that blue eyes take longer to return to normal than brown - no idea why!

That is bizarre @BeccyB

Had my retinopathy check-up last week, appointment was 2pm but my pupils still looked like saucers when I went to bed at 11pm (I have blue eyes).