1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Diabetic Retinopathy?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Alex_B, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Alex_B

Alex_B Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Since yesterday morning I have had this black dot in my vision (like a floater but persistent). I haven’t had good eye sight since I changed my glasses. I don’t know if they’re too strong but everything is blurry.

I haven’t had a Diabetic Eye Screening since 2018, due to having a bad flare up with one of my illnesses and obviously 2020 they weren’t doing them because of the pandemic.
    I don’t know who to contact either the opticians or the hospital where I last had it done. I’m worried I’m getting diabetic retinopathy and also going blind because I don’t really need it due being under a lot of stress with illnesses and doctors and so many tests to find out why my bladder is not working as I have a catheter permanently at the moment. Any suggestions of who to contact? I’ve emailed my diabetic nurse/dietitian but I don’t think they are in the clinic atm due to the pandemic. Any help is appreciated

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

That sounds quite scary, I hope it's not serious. Why not call your GP first? They should be able to refer you if you need to see an eye doctor. Eye issues don't have to be diabetic related.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 35yearsofType1

35yearsofType1 · Active Member

Hi -I would contact the hospital they will be used to having people call as things can deteriorate quickly.

Good luck and I hope you get sorted

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

First check which eye is affected (by clsoing each eye in turn) then get a same-day appointment with an optician (who will be able to refer you to ophthalmology at the appropriate interval, if required). If the blackness appears like a curtain or gets bigger, go to eye casualty at the hospital as this could indicate a retinal detatchment which should be seen as soon as possible. In the mean time, avoid anything that might increase the pressure in your eye such as stooping or lifting weights.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook