Diabetics R Us

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Afternoon all

I finished work at 3pm today and am currently sitting watching catch up TV while Alan is having a heated discussion by phone with his manager, I've closed the living room door so he stays out :mad: I'm also having a sneaky Baileys :hungry:

Hope you're all well today.

H :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Off on holiday in the morning and the weather forecast looks wonderful. Today has been and still is a busy day. I like to have the house spic and span before we go away. I call it cleaning up for the burglars, but it lovely coming home to a nice house at the end of the week and the thought that I don't need to start houseworking again for a while. I also must get the hosepipe out and water the gardens. Everything is wilting and no rain forecast for the foreseeable. I have invested too much in those garden to let things die. Then we need to deliver Tiny tortoise to daughter's and sort Whale out (the goldfish), plus my houseplants. I haven't even got the suitcase out yet either. At least the holiday food shopping is done, and we got Ness some new toys earlier, so she is a happy little girl. She loves going on holiday. We are going to Stratford-upon-Avon. Love the place, and have spent many happy times there since my teenage years.

Reactions: heh

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got home with the new glasses that finally arrived after 3 weeks, and I can't see with them. They are my first bifocals and I can't even read what I'm typing. Even with my head tilted uncomfortably back so that the computer screen is where I can try to view it through the bifocal part. The top part isn't any better for distance, and I noticed that they didn't write "astigmatism" for my right eye, only for the left, which I can't see much out of anyway.

The optician told me to wait and try them tomorrow when I first wake up, and give them a week, but I don't want to go around with half-blurred vision for a week.

Oh, well, they only cost me $58; the rest came through a voucher program. You get what you pay for! :(

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got home with the new glasses that finally arrived after 3 weeks, and I can't see with them. They are my first bifocals and I can't even read what I'm typing. Even with my head tilted uncomfortably back so that the computer screen is where I can try to view it through the bifocal part. The top part isn't any better for distance, and I noticed that they didn't write "astigmatism" for my right eye, only for the left, which I can't see much out of anyway.

The optician told me to wait and try them tomorrow when I first wake up, and give them a week, but I don't want to go around with half-blurred vision for a week.

Oh, well, they only cost me $58; the rest came through a voucher program. You get what you pay for! :(
Take them back and tell them they're no good.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Off on holiday in the morning and the weather forecast looks wonderful. Today has been and still is a busy day. I like to have the house spic and span before we go away. I call it cleaning up for the burglars, but it lovely coming home to a nice house at the end of the week and the thought that I don't need to start houseworking again for a while. I also must get the hosepipe out and water the gardens. Everything is wilting and no rain forecast for the foreseeable. I have invested too much in those garden to let things die. Then we need to deliver Tiny tortoise to daughter's and sort Whale out (the goldfish), plus my houseplants. I haven't even got the suitcase out yet either. At least the holiday food shopping is done, and we got Ness some new toys earlier, so she is a happy little girl. She loves going on holiday. We are going to Stratford-upon-Avon. Love the place, and have spent many happy times there since my teenage years.

Sounds wonderful. Will you see any plays while there? Have a great time!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take them back and tell them they're no good.

Thanks. Yes, I will. I'm just too disappointed and fed up to bother this afternoon. It has taken weeks of stress and fighting to just get them -- and now I can't even use them. :(

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
How frustrating for you. It matters not how they were paid for they still have been paid so as heh says take them back and demand they sort it out.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Sandwich Food Fayre this morning, we'll have a walk in to town to have a look but last year there was nothing there that I could eat :(. After this self inflicted torture we are heading off to Canterbury in the motorhome for the night :D

Have a good day.

H :)

Reactions: SaskiaKC
M

Member496333

@SaskiaKC I’m sure you may already know this, but vari-focal lenses in particular (I know you say bifocals but I assume you mean graduated?) can often take people a week or more to get accustomed to. When I got my first pair I had an identical reaction to you. Couldn’t see anything particularly well through any part of the lenses. Distortion around the edges was making me feel nauseous. I was convinced that either my prescription was a mess, or that I was just not suited to graduated lenses.

Didn’t believe my optician when I was told that I would most likely adapt to them. Honestly I was quite angry at the time. A fortnight later my brain had indeed adapted and they were fine. Couple of years further on and I’m happy with my glasses. Same lenses, same prescription. Granted at the time I was having other [significant] issues with my mince pies, but they were unrelated to the quality of my prescription, or the quality of the lens manufacture.

Just my story. Hope things improve for you. Certainly my advice is to give it some time, if you are able. You may be surprised just how much your eyes/brain adapt, particularly if they’ve been struggling on their own with no prescribed correction for a while. PS. Apologies for gatecrashing this discussion. I was browsing through and noticed your post, just wanted to offer some positive words of encouragement regarding your glasses. Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How frustrating for you. It matters not how they were paid for they still have been paid so as heh says take them back and demand they sort it out.

Thanks. :) I am going to take them back first thing Monday. I tried them again this morning and then gave up.

Reactions: heh

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC I’m sure you may already know this, but vari-focal lenses in particular (I know you say bifocals but I assume you mean graduated?) can often take people a week or more to get accustomed to. When I got my first pair I had an identical reaction to you. Couldn’t see anything particularly well through any part of the lenses. Distortion around the edges was making me feel nauseous. I was convinced that either my prescription was a mess, or that I was just not suited to graduated lenses.

Didn’t believe my optician when I was told that I would most likely adapt to them. Honestly I was quite angry at the time. A fortnight later my brain had indeed adapted and they were fine. Couple of years further on and I’m happy with my glasses. Same lenses, same prescription. Granted at the time I was having other [significant] issues with my mince pies, but they were unrelated to the quality of my prescription, or the quality of the lens manufacture.

Just my story. Hope things improve for you. Certainly my advice is to give it some time, if you are able. You may be surprised just how much your eyes/brain adapt, particularly if they’ve been struggling on their own with no prescribed correction for a while. PS. Apologies for gatecrashing this discussion. I was browsing through and noticed your post, just wanted to offer some positive words of encouragement regarding your glasses. Best of luck!

Thanks. :) I read some similar advice online last night on various websites. I just don't know that I want to give myself headaches as well as nausea for a week. I need my eyes too much, for reading, for computer, for TV, and this morning when I tried the new ones again I realized I was closing my eyes every moment that I did not actually need to see something, like the stove controls (for boiling water) and stabbing my finger and reading the number on the meter. It was like my eyes weren't able to deal with what they were seeing so they just closed.

The optician also said to give the new glasses a week, but they also took three weeks to even make them. Never before had I known glasses to take so long to be made or been told to give them a week. It's almost like their attitude is "Don't bite the gift horse."

All I have on my schedule for today is watching the Preakness this afternoon, so maybe I will give them another try -- if I can keep my eyes open 'til then!

How on earth did you ever manage feeling nauseated and unable to see for two whole weeks?

And yes, these are bifocals, just as I said. Lines and all.

M

Member496333

How on earth did you ever manage feeling nauseated and unable to see for two whole weeks?

It’s all a blur to be honest :hilarious:

In all seriousness though I can’t really recall. I think I just had so much going on at that time, that my glasses were the least of my worries.

Apologies regarding the bi/vari focal lens assumption on my part. Didn’t think bifocals were widely used these days so just assumed you’d erroneously described your specs. I have no experience of bi-focals, so I guess my comments don’t hold much water really :rolleyes:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. :) I read some similar advice online last night on various websites. I just don't know that I want to give myself headaches as well as nausea for a week. I need my eyes too much, for reading, for computer, for TV, and this morning when I tried the new ones again I realized I was closing my eyes every moment that I did not actually need to see something, like the stove controls (for boiling water) and stabbing my finger and reading the number on the meter. It was like my eyes weren't able to deal with what they were seeing so they just closed.

The optician also said to give the new glasses a week, but they also took three weeks to even make them. Never before had I known glasses to take so long to be made or been told to give them a week. It's almost like their attitude is "Don't bite the gift horse."

All I have on my schedule for today is watching the Preakness this afternoon, so maybe I will give them another try -- if I can keep my eyes open 'til then!

And yes, these are bifocals, just as I said. Lines and all.
A few years ago I had a similar problem .I have worn glasses since I was 18 months old when I got the new glasses they were not right .The assistant twiddled them about a bit but I insisted that they were not right ,so they agreed to another test ,the optician said that I had given him the wrong information at the end of my first test!!! I received my new glasses and they were ok The next time I needed an eye test I went to a new optician I took the last prescription that I had been given (the one for the first set (dodgy) ) And was told that the prescription was nothing like the glasses that I had eventually been given !
Carol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds wonderful. Will you see any plays while there? Have a great time!

No plays on this occasion. They won't let the dog in :hilarious: I have seen most of the Shakespeare plays at the Stratford theatre over the years. As youngsters we used to sleep outside as the first 50 people got free entry but had to stand at the back. Then we got more sensible as our brains developed (in humans this normally happens from around age 30) and bought proper tickets, and stayed in a hotel. The theatre has changed beyond recognition since those days. The plays take place all round the audience but everyone can see and hear it all. There are no normal wings. Actors come and go along the aisles. Brilliant.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few years ago I had a similar problem .I have worn glasses since I was 18 months old when I got the new glasses they were not right .The assistant twiddled them about a bit but I insisted that they were not right ,so they agreed to another test ,the optician said that I had given him the wrong information at the end of my first test!!! I received my new glasses and they were ok The next time I needed an eye test I went to a new optician I took the last prescription that I had been given (the one for the first set (dodgy) ) And was told that the prescription was nothing like the glasses that I had eventually been given !
Carol

You get it, then. :) Thank you for posting. I have worn glasses since I was 7 years old. I am near-sighted and have astigmatism.

These new glasses came through a voucher program that only a few optometrists and opticians participate in. It seems great in theory but in practice -- in my case -- it has been nothing but a headache. Four months to even get the voucher, then another few weeks to get a voucher that would actually cover an eye exam and glasses; then three more weeks to wait while the glasses got made (they failed the first lab test so had to be redone -- at least that's the story I was told). And they charged me $58 for anti-glare coating that didn't even exist for the first 40 decades of my glasses-wearing experience.

You did great to take your prescription to a different optician. I have been saving up for a few years now for an eye exam and new glasses but every time I start saving something else comes up that I have to pay for that wipes out the savings. So I was so glad to hear of this voucher program. it worked great for the neighbor who told me about it but for me it has just been a mess and now to have glasses I can't wear ...

The optometrist who prescribed these told me I need to have cataract surgery right away and turns out the surgeon she recommended is somehow connected to her opticians' clinic so maybe collusion of some sort? Like I am really going to trust my only pair of eyes to a strange surgeon and maybe lose my sight altogether!

Don't think so. Hopefully my old frames will continue to hold together .... :)

Hugs.