Diabetics R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a steampunk owl neat isn't it. Got fed up with looking at my daft face all the time on here.
I like the owl but must admit I'll miss my daily chuckle whenever I unexpectedly encountered a post of yours.

(Yup, as you likely foresaw when reading my post, @JohnEGreen , edited for a missing e :D.)

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a steampunk owl neat isn't it. Got fed up with looking at my daft face all the time on here.

My nephew has CF my wife's cousin's lad died at 24 years of age because of it the gene is carried in my wife's family so that drug no matter the price I see as good news even though the company may be evil in what it charges for it.

I agree it is wonderful to have the drug available. About 60 years ago I knew a little boy who had CF, the younger brother of one of my classmates.

I have heard the term "steampunk" before, I think, but never knew what it meant 'til now.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just had a phone call from my best friend. Looks like I'll be an aunt tomorrow!
I just threw away my drink in the garden and am now hoping the baby will wait for at least another couple of hours so I can drive to her place in my own car instead of calling, waiting for and paying a taxi. Those 80 euros would be much better spent on diapers and stuff.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could be a false alarm too of course. Who knows, we might have another 2 weeks of thinking it's starting....

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations to you and your best friend and your new little best friend! I like your idea about the euros and a really great use for them would be to get you there safely and back home.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'll have a shower. Can't welcome a new person being stinky. And if nothing happens, at least I'll be clean and the snails outside my window will have agood party tonight :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations to you and your best friend and your new little best friend! I like your idea about the euros and a really great use for them would be to get you there safely and back home.
Thank you! Keep the congratulations for a bit, she has to be born first!
Agree with the money well spent on safely getting there :) Back home will be much cheaper, as I'll find someone to bring me when it's not the middle of the night :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I'll have a shower. Can't welcome a new person being stinky. And if nothing happens, at least I'll be clean and the snails outside my window will have agood party tonight :)

latest

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thank you! Keep the congratulations for a bit, she has to be born first!
Agree with the money well spent on safely getting there :) Back home will be much cheaper, as I'll find someone to bring me when it's not the middle of the night :)

Well it may be a bit on the early side but congrats any way.

Speaking of party's Keiran was asked by some fellow students to throw a Diwali party for them which he did and a great time was had by all. If you want a party he is it seems the man. He provided all the lighting and arranged the sound system and music.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it may be a bit on the early side but congrats any way.
Thanks!
Still waiting. Things got quiet again in the early morning and have been until 2 hours ago, now it looks like something may be happening again. But I'm better prepared than yesterday, my choice of drink tonight is tea :)

Keirans party sounds like a great success!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am an aunt!
My best friend delivered a perfect little baby girl named Famke at 9 pm!

It wasn't an easy one and took a long time. With a grand total of 8 hours sleep since sunday morning and having had quite a short night on saturday too, I haven't followed much on the forum and don't plan to until I've had a good bit of catching up on sleep.

Picture will follow :)

Famke means 'girl' in Frisian but it's also a traditional Frisian name.

Reactions: karen8967

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations to you and to your friend and welcome to Famke! I'm glad you gave some info about the name, as I have had only one acquaintance with that name, and I thought it was lovely then. I still do. I had not heard the name before that time.
Can't wait to see pics! :)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am an aunt!

It wasn't an easy one and took a long time. With a grand total of 8 hours sleep since sunday morning and having had quite a short night on saturday too, I haven't followed much on the forum and don't plan to until I've had a good bit of catching up on sleep.

Congratulations x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am an aunt!

Congratulations! Have fun with the whole aunt thing. I took it as an excuse for excessive shopping around birthdays, Sinterklaas and Christmas. :) I am completely useless with children, but shopping I can do! Enjoy, and again, congrats!
Jo

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if the word Plantage (as an area near Amsterdam) is in any way related to Plantagenet (the English ruling line). I've read the theory about the Latin "planta genista" (broom) being the source for Plantagenet, and I haven't looked for the source of the name "Plantage" yet ... Plantagie? Plantaadje?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if the word Plantage (as an area near Amsterdam) is in any way related to Plantagenet (the English ruling line). I've read the theory about the Latin "planta genista" (broom) being the source for Plantagenet, and I haven't looked for the source of the name "Plantage" yet ... Plantagie? Plantaadje?
A plantage is simply a place where things are planted :) (to plant is planten in Dutch: ik plant, jij plant, hij plant, wij planten).
Plantage is usually used to refer to big farms in the tropics, especially the former colonies where our slave trade made for good business from a financial point of view. Coffee, banana's, that kind of stuff.

The Plantagebuurt (plantage neighbourhood) is a district near the center of Amsterdam (I've actually lived there for a couple of years). According to Wikipedia it consisted of rented gardens during the second part of the 17th century. Which may explain the name, as those were the golden days of the Dutch colonies, and trade was largely centered in Amsterdam (VOC and WIC), so 'plantage' was likely a very cool word in that time and age.
Not sure if Wikipedia will translate but here's the link anyway. You can always puzzle it out with the dictionary :)
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantage_(Amsterdam)