Diabetics R Us

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTE="SaskiaKC, English being what it is, you could have written "my dog had had spaghetti and I had had to make do ... " (with the emergency supplies). The fact that your dog had eaten the spaghetti (rather than had possessed it) would be understood. I might say, "That night I had spaghetti (I ate spaghetti), but the night before that I had had potatoes."

At least, this would be the case in American English. :)

All tense @SaskiaKC . And largely concur. However ....

"my dog had had spaghetti and I had to make do ... " The third "had" is redundant as it's in the same tense.
[/QUOTE]

What third "had" ?

The two phrases "had had" and "had eaten" agree, as I told @Antje77 earlier.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe the use of a comma to chop sense into it??
He said he had, had the that book before.. ..

Ooooooo definitely not! No comma.
We tend to abbreviate it to "He'd had that book before" , which is the more common usage, and is the same as "he had had that book before" but far more common.

Reactions: Antje77

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
We have three portable electric heaters going at the moment it's 2 degrees outside and goodness knows how much money we are going to have to pay out for the electricity being used but keeping warm is more important at the moment. And at least we are not using much gas
@JohnEGreen I can fully sympathise as I had the same problem all through December. We had chaos at the end of January when the new boiler was fitted. Likewise lots of elec heaters but the need for warmth surpasses everything. I hope yours is fixed soon and belated birthday greetings too

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@JohnEGreen I can fully sympathise as I had the same problem all through December. We had chaos at the end of January when the new boiler was fitted. Likewise lots of elec heaters but the need for warmth surpasses everything. I hope yours is fixed soon and belated birthday greetings too
Went out and bought a calor gas heater yesterday it makes a big difference and cuts down on the use of electric heaters but cost us a fair bit as we had to get a new gas bottle as well but should recoup some of the outlay in saving on electricity.

Edit to add grandson and son coming today for the weekend for a belated birthday celebration so need to be able to keep the place warm.

Reactions: SueJB

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Went out and bought a calor gas heater yesterday it makes a big difference and cuts down on the use of electric heaters but cost us a fair bit as we had to get a new gas bottle as well but should recoup some of the outlay in saving on electricity.

Edit to add grandson and son coming today for the weekend for a belated birthday celebration so need to be able to keep the place warm.
Good thinking on the fire @JohnEGreen. I grew up in a house without central heating in Chester and I don't know how we did it. The bathroom was always cold and we only had warm towels when mum put them in front of the fire.... special occasion. That's another thing I missed when the boiler went, we were lucky we still had an immersion heater for the water. I cooked lots of slow things in the oven to keep the kitchen warm.
Have a great, late party.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No immersion heater here so only hot water from kettle or boiling pans on the hob we do have an electric shower so that's a plus but I am a bit too unsteady these days for showers.

Grandson has booked us into Zizzi's Italian restaurant on Sunday though I don't think he's planning on paying the bill.:)

Reactions: SaskiaKC

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Discussion about a pub sign.
Where George had had ,had had had had the writers approval
Carol

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When my GS Keiran was returning to his student accommodation yesterday afternoon after lectures he found he couldn't gain access as he was stopped by the army as they had the area cordoned off because in a flat next to the accommodation there was a guy who had built several bombs and they had just arrested him and where in the process of disposing of the explosive devises it unnerved him a bit to think that he had been so close to the bombs.

The thought of it is quite scary I could have lost my Grand Son.

Just had a text from grandson the bomb squad are back same building and area cordoned off again mayebe they missed something last time.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
87459424_2737636152940834_2106668865843888128_o.jpg

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
How horrible! :(
It seems the person they the police arrested the other week suddenly informed them that there were other devices and materials in the building that they had not found as yet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I grew up in a house without central heating in Chester and I don't know how we did it. The bathroom was always cold and we only had warm towels when mum put them in front of the fire.... special occasion.

All those of my generation grew up without central heating, or at least most of us did. My bedroom windows always froze on the inside, as did the bathroom window. No double glazing in those days either. I had a Dimplex heater in my bedroom and we had coal fires downstairs. Duvets hadn't been invented so it was plenty of blankets and the perennial candlewick bedspread that kept us warm in bed. Mum warmed my school blouses on a maiden in front of the fire, although it had often gone out by morning.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just went shopping with @JohnEGreen s shopping list from another thread :)

"Broccoli.
Garlic.
Ginger.
Spinach.
Yogurt.
Almonds.

Put them all together in a curry or soup/stew and you have a tasty meal that's good for you."

In you next post you mentioned you use lemons in cooking so I bought one of those as well.
Has anyone actually eaten yoghurt soup before? I'm going to make it tomorrow, very curious how it will taste :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you are going to add yogurt to a stew or soup I nrmaly do it towards the end of the cooking time as it may separate else.

I use yogurt when doing a keto korma style curry.

Or there is
Syrian Shakriya that's Lamb with yogurt soup

Ingredients
For the meat
2 lbs lamb shoulder, deboned and cubed into 1-2 inch squares
2 tsp salt
2 tsp white pepper
2 onions, peeled and quartered
3 bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp cardamom pods
½ tsp cloves
6 cloves garlic cloves, crushed
For the yogurt soup
2 oz pine nuts
4 cups full-fat yogurt (room temp)
1 egg
2 tbsp cornflour
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Dried mint
¾ cup dried chickpeas

the lamb

Cut the lamb into 1-2 inch cubes and season with salt and pepper.
Heat up some oil in a pan and sear the meat until it browns on both sides.
Add the chunks of onion and sweat them on a lower heat until they start to caramelize.
Add the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, cloves, and garlic and let them roast until they become aromatic and fill your kitchen with their smells.
Add water to about halfway up the height of the meat chunks. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 2-2 ½ hours or until the lamb is tender.
Keep skimming the top of the water using a spoon to leave a clear broth for the end, and keep an eye on the water level, in case you need to add some more.
Once the lamb is ready, remove the cubes from the pot and keep them warm.
Pour the cooking liquid through a sieve and discard all of the chunky bits.
Set the strained broth aside.

The yogurt Soup

To roast the pine nuts, heat up a pan on a medium heat then add the nuts, monitoring them very carefully and keeping them moving.
Once you see them start to turn golden, and you can smell the roasting aroma, it's time to take them off. Set them aside.
In a large pot, whisk the yogurt with the egg, corn flour, salt and pepper, crushed garlic and 250ml of the strained cooking liquid. Add more liquid if you'd like your yogurt to be more soupy.
Turn on the heat and, stirring constantly to prevent coagulation, cook the yoghurt over a low heat until it comes to a simmer.
Cook it for another 2 minutes once it boils, then turn off the heat.
Stir in the chickpeas.

Place the lamb chunks into a deep bowl.
Pour over with the hot yogurt soup.
Sprinkle with pine nuts and dried mint.
Finally, finish with some fresh black pepper.

If you don't want to use corn flour I normally substitute with arrowroot.

Or you could just cook the yogurt soup and add in broccoli

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds good, John, and good to know that yoghurt soup is actually a thing :hilarious:
Tomorrow I'll concoct something of the ingredients I have, broccoli, garlic, ginger, spinach, yogurt, almonds and lemon, and have a low carb wrap with feta cheese to go with it. If I like it I'll get back to your recipe above for next time :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just found my great-grandmother on youtube! She was born in 1999 (edit: that should've read 1899 of course!) and died in 1984, and I loved her a lot although I was only around 7 when she passed away. She's the friendly old lady at 0:14 in the video :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaylee

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All those of my generation grew up without central heating, or at least most of us did. My bedroom windows always froze on the inside, as did the bathroom window. No double glazing in those days either. I had a Dimplex heater in my bedroom and we had coal fires downstairs. Duvets hadn't been invented so it was plenty of blankets and the perennial candlewick bedspread that kept us warm in bed. Mum warmed my school blouses on a maiden in front of the fire, although it had often gone out by morning.
don't forget the hot water bottle
Carol