Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well here a fine kettle of fish.
Workmen came today and erected scaffolding
tomorrow or Wednesday workmen were going to start the installation of a new boiler
today Boris has declared a virtual lock down.

Will they come to put in new boiler if they do should I let them in

A real quandary. :banghead:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I say God bless and keep Father Giuseppe Berardelli a 72 year old Catholic priest who's parishioners bought him a ventilator but he refused to use it and instead gave it to a younger patient he subsequently died.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The sun is shining and it is warm. At long last Spring seems a little bit nearer. As we are in lock down but can have outdoor exercise in the form of a walk, or a run, or a cycle, once a day for a restricted period of time (length of time not qualified in the instructions), we decided to start our walk in the car. We drove a whole mile to the river. The car park is huge, but was completely empty. From there we walked down to the river and along the path beside the river. We saw 3 other dog walkers but not a soul else. It was so beautiful. There are fabulous views from this walk, made even more magical as the sun was highlighting the colours on the hills and trees, and made the river shine. We were only there half an hour but it really lifted our spirits, and we hadn't broken any lock down rules.

Back in the car park we had been joined by a van belonging to the council chap who checks everyone has paid. Needless to say, he wasn't very busy!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@bluetit Thank you for your lovely post. I really enjoyed reading about your walk. As I read, I was picturing river walks in places were I lived and visited. It was a very nice virtual experience. :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well it seems new boiler not happening so no heating or hot water till the end of April now.:banghead:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it seems new boiler not happening so no heating or hot water till the end of April now.:banghead:

I read somewhere yesterday that boiler repairs and installations can continue. Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw it. It was on a questions and answers thing.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
landlords have rescheduled for the end of April due to lack of engineers they say they didn't contact us to tell us and I had to spend hours emailing and on the phone till I got in contact with their emergency line today and played up merry hell with them the boiler has been unworkable for over a month if they had got their skates on it could have been done by now.

And if the lock down continues after three weeks goodness knows how long it will take.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very lovely and warm day today, sat outside on work premises with a work colleague (kept our distance) and had an ice lolly :) Sadly I still have to go into work but it’s keeping me focused and I find I’m not worrying so much about the virus once I’m busy into my work. It’s very quiet out there which is a good thing and at least round here there has been a police presence with them checking why you are out of your house. Doing my best to keep myself safe and well during these testing times!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
landlords have rescheduled for the end of April due to lack of engineers they say they didn't contact us to tell us and I had to spend hours emailing and on the phone till I got in contact with their emergency line today and played up merry hell with them the boiler has been unworkable for over a month if they had got their skates on it could have been done by now.

And if the lock down continues after three weeks goodness knows how long it will take.
Now most of the Calor gas suppliers have shut down can't order online so looks like it's electric heaters or nothing, and we may be in for a cold snap.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now most of the Calor gas suppliers have shut down can't order online so looks like it's electric heaters or nothing, and we may be in for a cold snap.

John, are you able to report your landlord at all? I'm not sure who is responsible for ensuring landlords fulfill their duty of care, which covers keeping their properties safe and healthy, but there must be some one somewhere. Does he know you have a nasty illness? It seems to me he could even be breaking the law by not supplying you with suitable heating and hot water.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The landlords are actually a housing association and have been pretty good up to now we have spoken to our MP and he is trying to help but the way things are there is not much he can do.

I have told the housing association that I am going to be sending them the receipts for all the gas and extra electricity we have had to spend out on and that I will also be expecting a hefty rebate on the rent and they seem ok with that but it does not solve the immediate problem we have no hot water no central heating and all this in the midst of the covid out break and having to self isolate.

It's driving me batty.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The landlords are actually a housing association and have been pretty good up to now we have spoken to our MP and he is trying to help but the way things are there is not much he can do.

I have told the housing association that I am going to be sending them the receipts for all the gas and extra electricity we have had to spend out on and that I will also be expecting a hefty rebate on the rent and they seem ok with that but it does not solve the immediate problem we have no hot water no central heating and all this in the midst of the covid out break and having to self isolate.

It's driving me batty.

I fail to understand why the Housing Association can't provide you with a new boiler or at the very least repair the one you have. What is the problem?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Oh they are going to at the end of April but it was scheduled for last Wednesday the flue has to be replaced as well the scaffolding was put up last Monday on Wednesday no one turned up to do the job took me hours no till the next day to contact them and they just put it down to the lock down but I believe essential repairs are allowed but we will just have to soldier on.

The boiler we had was not just un-serviceable the plumber condemned it and had to disconnect it from the gas supply as it was dangerous.

D

Deleted member 308541

@JohnEGreen the tradies are still working here. I have had two electricians in and out for a couple of days replacing smoke alarms, one needed wiring in to the power supply.

Both wore face masks and kept their distance.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@JohnEGreen the tradies are still working here. I have had two electricians in and out for a couple of days replacing smoke alarms, one needed wiring in to the power supply.

Both wore face masks and kept their distance.
I'm sure they are here but the landlords just shut everything down.
In a strange way though I am annoyed I am also relieved to an extent I was not looking forward to having a load of workmen in and out of the house I would have had to lock my self away in one of the rooms till they had finished.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A reminder of better time camping with friends some years ago.

img048.jpg

And yes it was raining that day and you can see how the preds had started to push my weight up but was still happy times.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yup we had some good times camping as a group the four of us that photo did bring a little pang of sadness with it as my old mate best buddy who passed away last June was one of the four.

Just heard this morning my nephew and his family are on lock down in New York but he is able to work from home so is not doing too badly at the moment.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm glad to hear about your nephew and his family.

I'm sorry about your friend. I think I remember you posting about him last year.