JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm sure they are here but the landlords just shut everything down.
In a strange way though I am annoyed I am also relieved to an extent I was not looking forward to having a load of workmen in and out of the house I would have had to lock my self away in one of the rooms till they had finished.
Well I had a phone call from them this morning and they have changed their minds work will commence tomorrow morning hooray I think

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
They reckon the work will be finished end of Friday had an email from our MP detailing his conversation with the chief executive of the housing association quite illuminating.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They reckon the work will be finished end of Friday had an email from our MP detailing his conversation with the chief executive of the housing association quite illuminating.

Amazing what people will do when threatened with the press, media, or an MP. Good luck, and hope it all goes smoothly.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I wish you could post the transcript of that conversation! :)

But on a more serious note, I would love to know what was said as I have no experience of communicating with Senators or Congressmen nor have I ever known anyone who has! I was amazed and pleased that you were able to contact your MP and that he was able to help.

(So all the talk I've heard watching Prime Minister's Questions really does work for the constituents.)

Cheers for you and your MP. :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
(So all the talk I've heard watching Prime Minister's Questions really does work for the constituents.)

No not really what really galls me is that he is a Conservative and Is not my kind of person but any port in a storm I suppose.

And during this crisis with the virus he has gone up in my estimation and I know he must be worried about his wife who has had a double lung transplant in recent times.

Any way waiting for the workmen now will let you know how it goes. Judith's a bit concerned would wrap me up in a plastic bubble if she could.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many years ago, in a different life, we contacted the MP in hubby's mother's constituency over a long delay in getting an operation to help with her painful and debilitating arthritic problem. The delay was very long. It worked. She was in hospital within 2 weeks of the contact. That was in the late 70's.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well the old boiler is out but of course we have now no water I'm ensconced in the bedroom staying out of the way unable to make a coffee but the work is now under way. I may make a dash down stairs for a glass of diet pepsi.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well the old boiler is out but of course we have now no water I'm ensconced in the bedroom staying out of the way unable to make a coffee but the work is now under way. I may make a dash down stairs for a glass of diet pepsi.

BTDT when men were laying carpet. Not fun.
Hopefully your guys will do a great job in a short time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Now had that been me, I would have filled a kettle with water before it was turned off and taken it upstairs with a mug, spoon, coffee, milk, whatever, and probably a biscuit!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Boiler now installed electrician will be wiring it up and some other guys will be fitting a new flue down through the roof tomorrow then all will be finished.

@Bluetit1802 yes if I had any sense that's what I would have done only the water went off before any one told me any way that's my excuse.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@bluetit and @JohnEGreen I "might" have had the foresight to fill a kettle to have with me so I could stay hydrated ... but I certainly would have had to fill an accompanying bucket with water so that I could flush the toilet afterwards! :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
but I certainly would have had to fill an accompanying bucket with water so that I could flush the toilet afterwards! :)
Ah, the joys of having a garden to your house!
When I had my bathroom refitted (an affair that took quite a long time, say months, although most of this time I could use the toilet) I quickly learned to have a spade with a roll of tp on the handle ready at all times at the door to the garden. I never knew when I'd suddenly find my toilet bowl in the hallway or the garden when I needed it. Even when the toilet was in it's usual place I never knew when the guy who was doing my bathroom would come in while I was 'doing my thing', merrily commenting on the smell and proceeding with his work unhampered by me :wideyed::D:hilarious:
It really is remarkable what kind of stuff you can get used to!

If you ever need to resort to the garden with your spade for longer than a week or so I can advise you to have a system to remember where you have been already...

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I had my bathroom refitted (an affair that took quite a long time, say months, although most of this time I could use the toilet) I quickly learned to have a spade with a roll of tp on the handle ready at all times at the door to the garden. I never knew when I'd suddenly find my toilet bowl in the hallway or the garden when I needed it. Even when the toilet was in it's usual place I never knew when the guy who was doing my bathroom would come in while I was 'doing my thing', merrily commenting on the smell and proceeding with his work unhampered by me :wideyed::D:hilarious:

If you ever need to resort to the garden with your spade for longer than a week or so I can advise you to have a system to remember where you have been already...

I'm just glad I had my carpet installed before the days of Google Maps and drones! :D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just glad I had my carpet installed before the days of Google Maps and drones! :D
Happy I never thought of that at the time! It was hard enough to try to stay out of sight of the bathroom guy and the neighbours. Not that they would have minded, knowing my neighbours, but they would've laughed out loud, so I would have had to laugh and I'd probably have lost my balance from it at a very unlucky moment...

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

When we had our bathroom refitted we gave the house key to the plumber (a family friend), stocked up with tea, coffee, milk, sugar and biscuits and went away for a week - when we returned he was just doing the finishing touches.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Wish I could have done that.

Was told yesterday that the start this morning would be about 9 AM electrician arrived 7:45 AM tricky .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@bluetit and @JohnEGreen I "might" have had the foresight to fill a kettle to have with me so I could stay hydrated ... but I certainly would have had to fill an accompanying bucket with water so that I could flush the toilet afterwards! :)

As the saying goes. If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When we had our bathroom refitted we gave the house key to the plumber (a family friend), stocked up with tea, coffee, milk, sugar and biscuits and went away for a week - when we returned he was just doing the finishing touches.

We did that when we were having the house painted inside when I was 10. My dad turned over the house and its key to the painter (also a family friend), and we went to stay at a motel up the road -- the one with a playground that included a 4-story rocket ship! :)

upload_2020-4-3_8-43-0.jpeg