Diabetics R Us

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

It's been a lovely day here, shame I was stuck in the office :(
Mr Tesco has just delivered our shopping and I'm about to go through my weekly torture ritual of watching GBBO :hilarious:

Reactions: Cumberland

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In Sainsbury today I found Marmite cheddar on the deli counter! It managed to fall into my trolley - I tried to stop it - and it's lovely......... Love it or hate it? I love it!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What's that? Am I right in thinking I need this in my life?
That's not funny, @heh . Anything marmitey is bloody serious. Especially living outside the UK. We need to make up our own things with marmite, as there's nothing you can buy with marmite except plain marmite.
Ideas for good stuff with marmite very welcome!

anna.chalk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What's that? Am I right in thinking I need this in my life?
Anna Chalk- Hello Antje I come from Groningen, was married to an Englishman for more than 50 years & he ate Marmite every day! I cannot stand it but my sons (brought up in the UK) love it. It is like a very, very heavy oxo cube. You either love it or do not like it. It is available in Holland I saw it there last year!
Good night everybody!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anna Chalk- Hello Antje I come from Groningen, was married to an Englishman for more than 50 years & he ate Marmite every day! I cannot stand it but my sons (brought up in the UK) love it. It is like a very, very heavy oxo cube. You either love it or do not like it. It is available in Holland I saw it there last year!
Good night everybody!
Hallo Anna, nice to meet you here!
I live in the middle of nowhere in Friesland (but grew up in Amsterdam).
Marmite is a basic in my house but I still get envious when reading about things with marmite ready-made...

No idea what an oxo-cube is though :p

Reactions: kitedoc and heh

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
That's not funny, @heh . Anything marmitey is bloody serious. Especially living outside the UK. We need to make up our own things with marmite, as there's nothing you can buy with marmite except plain marmite.
In Australia we have Vegemite. I recall someone from overseas calling it 'axle grease' because of its blackish colour.
The Aussie retort was "Yeah, mate. But it'll rust the bearings out" (referring to the high salt content).

D

Deleted member 308541

In Australia we have Vegemite. I recall someone from overseas calling it 'axle grease' because of its blackish colour.
The Aussie retort was "Yeah, mate. But it'll rust the bearings out" (referring to the high salt content).
Vegimite is a Drop Bear repellent for foreign tourists, put a bit behind your ears and you are safe, according to legend.

https://australianmuseum.net.au/drop-bear

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ah, @Tipetoo, I thought the bit went between the teeth !! Yes thank you I had forgotten this gem of wisdom.
Also the fun of putting butter/marg and Vegemite between crisps, squeezing the crisps together and watching the 'worms' coming out off the holes in the biscuits.
No, readers I am not daft, 'tis an Aussie thing!

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm afraid I'm a marmite hater

anna.chalk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hallo Anna, nice to meet you here!
I live in the middle of nowhere in Friesland (but grew up in Amsterdam).
Marmite is a basic in my house but I still get envious when reading about things with marmite ready-made...

No idea what an oxo-cube is though :p
Hi are you near Sneek? My cousin lives there. Used to sail there. My husband Patrick was a sailing fanatic. Unfortunately I am windowed now & live with my youngest son in W. Sussex. They have a 3 year old who keeps me entertained. Meals are cooked for me as I am disabled, they are very strict with my diabetes type 2 though! Miss Holland, coming back next summer, have rented a house near Apeldoorn again. Are you type 2? Haven't been much on the forum although I like to read all the comments!