Diabeties v fibre

Pamstrachan

TMI?
I tend to get constipated due to the side effects of one of the prescription painkillers I take. Eating green vegs is not enough so I aim to get enough fibre, fat and liquid to avoid this.
I have a flaxseed porridge for breakfast - with added chia seed and nuts plus a little oatbran and coconut milk. About 15g of carbs, and with a coffee this is usually my highest carb meal of the day.
As I now longer have a gallbladder I also find that extra fat in a meal goes through unprocessed so oil/butter/cream all help (I used to eat very little fat for years post op due to the issues it caused me).
On bad days, ie extra painkillers, I add 1-2 sweets or a low carb biscuit that contain maltitol later in the day!
Hi Tricia,
What is tmi?
I've never heard if flaxseed porridge, but 15 gms if fibre in one meal is ****** brilliant.

(Mod edit)

Last edited by a moderator:

Beating-My-Betes

This is an interesting study on fibre - fits with my personal experience too.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

The problem with that study, unless I completely missed it, is that they don't seem to make any distinction between soluble and insoluble fibre. Foods that are dominant insoluble fibre, such as grains, will likely bulk up the stool too much which can cause issues for many people. Fruit, which has a good mix of both types of fibre, is normally much easier to pass and many people who have been long-sufferers of issues at the back-end.

Won't help those with diabetes who are avoiding fruit, but just making a general point about fibre.

Reactions: Pamstrachan

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you're putting the cart before the horse ;)

Ok how about there is no essential dietary fibre as there are zero essential carbs.

Fruit is indeed easier to pass... just brings along a nice dose of NAFLD if eaten to excess.
And of course looses most of the fibre if juiced.

Beating-My-Betes

Fruit is indeed easier to pass... just brings along a nice dose of NAFLD if eaten to excess.
And of course looses most of the fibre if juiced.

Not sure I was talking about juice, but it does indeed lose most of its fibre when juiced.

As to whether fruit causing NAFLD, you've yet to provide any evidence that fruit in its natural state causes these issues. The only references I ever found were from isolated, high-fructose syrups or pure fructose. Moreover, the other tighter association seems to be with meat (Not that I'd necessarily trust that, either.). There are tests done on chimps, however. To induce NAFLD, they had to feed the monkeys with, if I remember correctly, was a standard Western diet. This points to the fact that our closest animal cousins were not already suffering the condition, despite their huge reliance on fruit.

Fruit may contain fructose, but whole fruit also contains vitamins, minerals, a lot of water and fibre. Even the big anti-sugar kahuna, Robert Lustig, understands the distinction that should be made between refined/processed sugars and whole fruit.

So, yeah...Some studies, perhaps (If it is deemed off-topic for this thread, then just send them to me by 'pm)

(Edited by moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with that study, unless I completely missed it, is that they don't seem to make any distinction between soluble and insoluble fibre. Foods that are dominant insoluble fibre, such as grains, will likely bulk up the stool too much which can cause issues for many people. Fruit, which has a good mix of both types of fibre, is normally much easier to pass and many people who have been long-sufferers of issues at the back-end.

Won't help those with diabetes who are avoiding fruit, but just making a general point about fibre.

the study is examining the effect of removing all fibre from the diet, therefore distinguishing between different types of fibre is unnecessary - since it was all removed.

These are direct quotes from the study addressing bloating and straining:

For symptoms of bloating, all of those on a high fiber diet continued to be symptomatic, while only 31.3% in the reduced fiber group and none of the no fiber group had symptoms (0%, P< 0.001) (Table (Table22).

With regards to straining, all those on a no fiber no longer had to strain to pass stools. Of those who reduced dietary fiber, 7 of 16 showed improvement while the symptoms remain unchanged in those who remained on a high fiber diet (P < 0.001 between groups).

Beating-My-Betes

the study is examining the effect of removing all fibre from the diet, therefore distinguishing between different types of fibre is unnecessary - since it was all removed.

These are direct quotes from the study addressing bloating and straining:

For symptoms of bloating, all of those on a high fiber diet continued to be symptomatic, while only 31.3% in the reduced fiber group and none of the no fiber group had symptoms (0%, P< 0.001) (Table (Table22).

With regards to straining, all those on a no fiber no longer had to strain to pass stools. Of those who reduced dietary fiber, 7 of 16 showed improvement while the symptoms remain unchanged in those who remained on a high fiber diet (P < 0.001 between groups).

I understand what it set out to do. I just think that in not making the distinction we end up in a situation where it's easy to demonise all fibre.

Beating-My-Betes

Ok how about there is no essential dietary fibre as there are zero essential carbs.

The issue for me is that you're starting from a premise that I don't think has a foundation either in current-day science, nor in evolutionary science. Not that I believe science is the final arbiter of everything. But rather than starting from a position that a zero-carb (Carnivore, I guess) diet is the default position, and therefor efibre 'must' be unnecessary, that perhaps it is the necessity of fibre (at least in some quantity) that undermines the position of carnivory.

Just as with vegansim, the carnivore diet is only something that can be sustained due to our current systems and affluence. We don't have to worry about running out of stored fat 'cause we can buy it everywhere. I don't believe early humans had the kind of 'luxury' to turn down whatever food they found, whether fruit, starches, meat or tree-bark ;)

Edited: for grammar and spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand what it set out to do. I just think that in not making the distinction we end up in a situation where it's easy to demonise all fibre.

I don’t think the study or anyone here is demonising fibre. Rather, it’s a challenge to accepted wisdom that it’s essential.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The issue for me is that you're starting from a premise that I don't think has a foundation either in current-day science, nor in evolutionary science. Not that I believe science is the final arbiter of everything. But rather than starting from a position that a zero-carb (Carnivore, I guess) diet is the default position, and therefor fibre 'must' be unnecessary, the perhaps it is the necessity of fibre (at least in some quantity) that undermines the position of carnivory.

Just as with vegansim, the carnivore diet is only something that can be sustained due to our current systems and affluence. We don't have to worry about running out of stored fat 'cause we can buy it everywhere. I don't believe early humans had the kind of 'luxury' to turn down whatever food they found, whether fruit, starches, meat or tree-bark ;)
Zero Carbs Required.png

Fibre really only comes from carbohydrate rich foods ergo..

Beating-My-Betes

I don’t think the study or anyone here is demonising fibre.

Perhaps not. Maybe I'm attributing something that isn't here, at least in this thread or community. But there are certainly those within the online carnivore community who do demonise fibre, not only as a distinct entity, but also within the larger position of the demonisation of all plant-matter. Again, I'm not specifically referring to those in this community.

Rather, it’s a challenge to accepted wisdom that it’s essential.

Nothing wrong with challenges. Whether fibre is essential is a question that would seem to require much greater scope than this experiment could meet, as the long-term implications of 'going' (or not) could not be neasured.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps not. Maybe I'm attributing something that isn't here, at least in this thread or community. But there are certainly those within the online carnivore community who do demonise fibre, not only as a distinct entity, but also within the larger position of the demonisation of all plant-matter. Again, I'm not specifically referring to those in this community.

Nothing wrong with challenges. Whether fibre is essential is a question that would seem to require much greater scope than this experiment could meet, as the long-term implications of 'going' (or not) could not be neasured.

This guy knows a lot more about it than me..