Diagnosed Age 3 and below?

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there anyone else who was diagnosed at 3 or less? I feel like im the only one and back to this stupid thinking process of mine :(

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sister l, daughter and I were all 3, when we were diagnosed.

My brother and 2 male cousins were in their teens

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah so im not the only one! Thanks folks and curiosity - how old are we all now that has been diagnosed under 3??

Lazell123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello bigboi. I was diagnosed at the age of 3 yrs. and 2 months way back in 1961, which makes me 58 yrs. old now!

Reactions: bigboi

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I was 3 and 1 month when diagnosed. Now 36. I remember thinking like that in my teens eg the one other person I knew was diagnosed at 8 so she'd had 5 years more normal life than me. However, once you've lived a few more years it becomes irrelevant. Obviously though when you have had type 1 for 20 years plus then whatever your age at diagnosis you are at a different stage from someone in the first 5-10 years, mentally, physically and expectation wise.

Reactions: Dodo and bigboi
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years, she is 8 now.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello bigboi. I was diagnosed at the age of 3 yrs. and 2 months way back in 1961, which makes me 58 yrs. old now!

Wow, you must of seen many changes in diabetes care, I am 58 as well.

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed at 24 year's and 10 month's but I physically don't feel good at all.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wish we were diagnosed when we were 3 or under. I was diagnosed at 31 and my daughter was 8 days shy of her 11th birthday. It would have been a lot easier to adapt to if we'd been diagnosed from a young age, I think.

I've always been curious about this as I've been really lucky because I've never known life without diabetes, so there is no knowledge of what a normal life is like - however it also means that I have minor eye complications that are commonly seen in people who have had diabetes for over 15 years and I have never been a priority for any health team / new stuff :) pros and cons!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I had symptoms at 6yr old but not diagnosed ti I was 32yr old type 2 but morbidly obese now.
Type 2 in children in 1970s was unheard of.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I wish we were diagnosed when we were 3 or under. I was diagnosed at 31 and my daughter was 8 days shy of her 11th birthday. It would have been a lot easier to adapt to if we'd been diagnosed from a young age, I think.

I was 31 as well.

Selziijayne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed aged 2 (a month or so before my 3rd birthday) and was in and out of hospital for weeks after i was diagnosed and from why my family has told me i spent my 3rd birthday in hospital. Im now 21 and finally started to get used to the routine. Took me quite a long time to take charge of doing my own Injections as i was terrified of needles. Now im doing pretty well, just trying to get my levels controlled now.