Diagnosed as Type 1 after Covid Vaccination

IainTarr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Currently my biggest dislike is monitoring my blood glucose by finger pricking, it is a source of annoyance that outweighs so many things I could list as a dislike. Generally I can accept most things but since my diagnosis last October 2021 worries about my health are constant.
I was diagnosed as Type 1 in October 2021, 6 weeks after having had my 2nd Astra-Zeneca jab. In those few weeks I reported to the Nurse that gave me the vaccinations what I presumed were possible side effects, these were mainly increased thirst and urination as well as headaches and difficulty sleeping. These were at the time dismissed as nothing to worry about until I reported some weight loss - I was unable to access scales, but a friend had noticed I appeared slimmer- only then did the Nurse pay attention and my weight loss was recorded over 5 weeks and a blood sample taken. At my 5th weigh in I asked the Nurse as to whether my blood test had revealed anything and this lead to me being admitted to hospital.
At hospital the Nurse there did a finger prick test that showed my blood glucose to be extremely high and I was asked about family history of diabetes - None- and had I ever had the first reported symptoms in the past.
I was kept in for 4 days and my blood glucose was stabilised and diagnosed as Type 1.
I am convinced that the vaccine triggered all of this, yet when I have asked Doctors and Nurses if this could have happened they have all avoided giving me an answer. Does anybody know if any research has been done in to this scenario?
Also for the past 2 weeks I have not taken any insulin and have found my blood glucose readings to be at their most stable since my diagnosis and actually feel I have more energy and am sleeping better. I really am wondering if it is possible at all that I have been misdiagnosed?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am convinced that the vaccine triggered all of this
Why are you convinced the vaccine is the cause of developing T1?
T1 often comes without a family history, and millions of people have developed T1 before those vaccines even existed.
Also for the past 2 weeks I have not taken any insulin and have found my blood glucose readings to be at their most stable since my diagnosis and actually feel I have more energy and am sleeping better. I really am wondering if it is possible at all that I have been misdiagnosed?
Unlikely, but who knows.
What diagnostic tests did you have?

Early in diagnosis it's not unusual to have a honeymoon period, where the pancreas functions unpredictably, sometimes even leading to months of not needing insulin.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
T1 often comes without a family history, and millions of people have developed T1 before those vaccines even existed.

Unlikely, but who knows.

Early in diagnosis it's not unusual to have a honeymoon period, where the pancreas functions unpredictably, sometimes even leading to months of not needing insulin.
As @IainTarr has no family history of diabetes, I think it's reasonable for him to investigate the possibilities of blaming the vaccine. There was no history of diabetes in my family and I have always blamed being stung seven times on the same occasion by wasps. Forty years ago medics would laugh at this suggestion. Now trauma and viruses are listed as possible triggers. I think the truth is that not enough research has been done.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed as Type 1 in October 2021, 6 weeks after having had my 2nd Astra-Zeneca jab. In those few weeks I reported to the Nurse that gave me the vaccinations what I presumed were possible side effects, these were mainly increased thirst and urination as well as headaches and difficulty sleeping. These were at the time dismissed as nothing to worry about until I reported some weight loss - I was unable to access scales, but a friend had noticed I appeared slimmer- only then did the Nurse pay attention and my weight loss was recorded over 5 weeks and a blood sample taken. At my 5th weigh in I asked the Nurse as to whether my blood test had revealed anything and this lead to me being admitted to hospital.
At hospital the Nurse there did a finger prick test that showed my blood glucose to be extremely high and I was asked about family history of diabetes - None- and had I ever had the first reported symptoms in the past.
I was kept in for 4 days and my blood glucose was stabilised and diagnosed as Type 1.
I am convinced that the vaccine triggered all of this, yet when I have asked Doctors and Nurses if this could have happened they have all avoided giving me an answer. Does anybody know if any research has been done in to this scenario?
Hi and I hope you are doing okay with your diabetes a few months in?
I am not aware of any research connecting vaccines for covid to automimmune conditions such as type 1 but would not expect there to be where the vaccine has been so heavily promoted as safe and effective.
It is possible that you had an infection following vaccination because covid vaccinations do take down your immune system temporarily and that if you got a virus during that time, that your body then over reacted to it and caused your beta cells to be destroyed.
Type 1 is only faintly genetic and therefore a diagnosis does make you ponder Why Me, Why Now?
I doubt you will be able to find out why you had this autoimmune reaction which could also have happened as a result of covid itself! The issue for me here is that we now know that the vaccine doesn't stop you catching covid and may even make it more likely given the immune suppressive effect post jab, so I don't thank it should have been so universally rolled out to those who weren't elderly and/or frail perhaps.

IainTarr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Currently my biggest dislike is monitoring my blood glucose by finger pricking, it is a source of annoyance that outweighs so many things I could list as a dislike. Generally I can accept most things but since my diagnosis last October 2021 worries about my health are constant.

Unlikely, but who knows.

Perhaps saying "convinced the vaccine triggered my diabetes" was the wrong way of saying it? At the time of the vaccination the list of side effects was quite extensive and with the symptoms I developed I worried a lot especially as the Nurse was dismissive? I did have some basic understanding of diabetes and was also concerned as I have had episodes of acute pancreatitis in the past and was thinking that as the vaccine worked but triggering the bodies auto-immune system it had attacked my already weakened pancreas?
I'm not sure what diagnostic test was done but was on Humulin until February 2022 when I was admitted for electrolyte imbalances and now I have Lantus and Novorapid.
I initially stopped the Novarapid as despite taking the smallest recommended dose with my meals my readings 2 hours later would be lower than before. After 2 days of that I stopped the Lantus and my readings have improved and remain stable. I feel a lot better but will consult with my Diabetic Nurse next week whilst still testing and recording my blood glucose readings. My ketone readings are all negative as well.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are the first example I have heard of having received a Type diagnosis so close to the vaccine.
Like many people, I have no history of diabetes (or any type) in my family and quickly gave up looking backwards to "why did I get it" but started looking forwards to "what can I do to minimise the impact it is going to have to my life". I have Type 1 diabetes and can't change history so why waste energy on it.

Or you could be going through the honeymoon period. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease where our body decides it doesn't like insulin producing cells and kills them off. This can take some time to kill off all insulin producing cells and takes longer for adults than children. I was diagnosed in my mid 30s and it took about 8 years to reach my highest insulin dose. During this honeymoon period, sometimes our cells get enough energy to produce enough insulin ... and then they fade again. Research has shown that injecting insulin prolongs the life of these cells rather than stressing them to cope when they are weak

Reactions: EllieM and ert

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As @IainTarr has no family history of diabetes, I think it's reasonable for him to investigate the possibilities of blaming the vaccine.
Of course that's reasonable, it was the difference between 'investigating and 'being convinced' I was reacting to.
Which @IainTarr has now nuanced so it looks like none of us disagree. :)
I have had episodes of acute pancreatitis in the past and was thinking that as the vaccine worked but triggering the bodies auto-immune system it had attacked my already weakened pancreas?
I'm not sure what diagnostic test was done
Not something to dismiss either, pancreatitis can lead to a type of diabetes often misdiagnosed as both T1 and T2, it's called type 3C.

If I were in your shoes I'd want to know what tests have been done to determine your type.

T1

It’s completely natural to investigate particularly after being diagnosed with a life long serious condition. There are reports in medical journals of covid patients being diagnosed with diabetes and prescribed insulin, but not needing insulin within a year as their elevated levels were due to Covid related inflammation. Not sure how this relates to the vaccine but as we know so little about both the long term effects of Covid or the vaccine it’s definitely worth consideration.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Joanne Morgan

Hello Iain Tarr,
I was diagnosed yesterday with pre diabetes. When I read your I information I felt I had to respond. I seem to have almost copy book situation as you. I had my 4th booster vaccination of Pfizer on the 30th April from the following day I felt rubbish, with a migraine I’ve never suffered with migraines and rarely get a headache I was very concerned what was happening to me. I have always had slightly low pressure around 100/ 72, which I checked regularly. At 1am in the morning I decided to check my blood pressure and it was 179/119, a huge difference. I rang 111 for advice and help, it took a while but a paramedic came and arranged for me to see a Doctor for medication to treat the high blood pressure, this triggered several blood tests, and yesterday I had the diagnosis.. I’ve read all the information regarding the triggers for Diabetes, and my situation doesn’t concur - I’m not overweight, have a healthy diet, until April played golf twice a week and walk my dog almost every day. There is no history of diabetes in my family. So like you from the day after I had the vaccine I can’t help thinking could it be the Covid vaccine? There are articles on line of studies that have been done, but no conclusions have been made. I wish you well and hope you continue without using insulin.

coz53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed Type 1 in 1973 but didn’t require insulin for about 6 months , so some beta cells were still producing insulin .Testing then was non existent except for urine and when I very rarely tested were negative . It’s a complex disease but can be managed unlike 100 years ago .

ADriskill

I have been wondering the same..if getting the covid-19 vaccines can trigger the onset of T1D. My 11 year old son was just diagnosed with T1D May 25th. There was no indication he would ever develop T1D, so much so that the 2 general practitioners I brought him to while he was in DKA didn't even test him for T1D! They said it was "the flu" and sent us home. Thankfully I didn't take the last one seriously and brought him to the emergency department. I have read that catching covid-19 can trigger T1D but nothing about getting the vaccine, thus far.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have been wondering the same..if getting the covid-19 vaccines can trigger the onset of T1D. My 11 year old son was just diagnosed with T1D May 25th. There was no indication he would ever develop T1D, so much so that the 2 general practitioners I brought him to while he was in DKA didn't even test him for T1D! They said it was "the flu" and sent us home. Thankfully I didn't take the last one seriously and brought him to the emergency department. I have read that catching covid-19 can trigger T1D but nothing about getting the vaccine, thus far.

I'm sorry your son has been diagnosed but there are lots and lots of kids diagnosed each year without any previous indication. In fact, undiagnosed T1s used to regularly die because GPs failed to check for T1. Here's an interesting article about the diagnosis of childhood diabetes (ten years old so I'd hope but not guarantee that GPs have got better at diagnosis.)
https://www.childrenwithdiabetesuk.org/diabetes-basics/could-my-child-have-diabetes/

It's natural to want to have a reason for a T1 diagnosis, but I think the jury is still out as to causes.

DT1969

Well although I am new to this life, I understand that type I is apparently more related to predisposed genetic conditions.

With respect to your concerns though -I became diabetic after a very bad bout of long covid in 2020/21. I am utterly convinced of this. On metformin at first - I tried to push it into remission and did not succeed initially. I now take several medications a day which is a major sea change

I believe I contracted covid several times between 20/21 - and had a bad reaction to a booster in November (*possible because I had already had covit again and didn't quite realise). I had been feeling unwell for several months - but was struggling through it but it came to a head in early December when I was hospitalised for hypercholesterolaemia and hyperglycaemia (* both surgery and hospital thought the tests had been inconclusive but they were rocket-high).

I'm telling you all this extra information because the covid seems to trigger and augment underlying conditions. That's why certain people suffer more than others. Maybe this is a similar point for you. You have my sincere sympathy at the diagnosis - but please don't avoid boosters.

Reactions: In Response