Diagnosed in September

Hello everyone I’ve been doing my BG readings 2 hours post prandial and they’re regularly 16+ abs on several occasions been mid 20s. I’m trying really hard with my diet abs understand the principles of blood glucose management so don’t understand it. Help I’m still shell shocked about it all. Tks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone I’ve been doing my BG readings 2 hours post prandial and they’re regularly 16+ abs on several occasions been mid 20s. I’m trying really hard with my diet abs understand the principles of blood glucose management so don’t understand it. Help I’m still shell shocked about it all. Tks
Hi @TillyMintinLondon , welcome to the forum!
Are you on any medication? Have you been recently diagnosed, or has something changed recently? How are your fasting numbers?
And can you tell us a bit more about what you are eating?

Reactions: TillyMintinLondon
Hi @TillyMintinLondon , welcome to the forum!
Are you on any medication? Have you been recently diagnosed, or has something changed recently? How are your fasting numbers?
And can you tell us a bit more about what you are eating?

Hello! I was diagnosed in September 2021 and have tried Metformin and Metformin SR-had horrible side effects. I was given the choice of having gliclazide and starting liragluptide (to start ozempic when I’ve had retinopathy screening). I’ve not read great things about either tbh re side effects. Fasting BG on waking is 16+
Chicken and veg and have dropped down to eat a very small amount of carbs. Breakfast-porridge or eggs-sandwich for lunch. Really trying hard with changing my diet. Nothing has changed that since can think of. Does it get any easier?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Porridge and sandwich won't do you any favours. Are you testing before and after you eat?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast-porridge or eggs-sandwich for lunch.

Both really high carb foods and porridge can lead to stratospheric blood sugar levels especially in the morning for some people . on top of your high readings anyway this could be pretty bad for you.
Have you though of skipping breakfast entirely or having something almost zero carb like scrambled eggs with butter, bacon maybe?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello! I was diagnosed in September 2021 and have tried Metformin and Metformin SR-had horrible side effects. I was given the choice of having gliclazide and starting liragluptide (to start ozempic when I’ve had retinopathy screening). I’ve not read great things about either tbh re side effects. Fasting BG on waking is 16+
Chicken and veg and have dropped down to eat a very small amount of carbs. Breakfast-porridge or eggs-sandwich for lunch. Really trying hard with changing my diet. Nothing has changed that since can think of. Does it get any easier?
You're still eating a very high carb diet, so I don't see things improving unless you make some extra changes. Ditch the porridge and bread, for starters. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help some as well.