Diagnosed last month 6.5 A1C (Type 2)

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, I won the lottery last month, 6.5 A1C. I've been reading this forum for awhile now and finally made an account to participate in discussions and ask a few questions of my own.

My story is simple, I was overweight and although I didn't indulge in sugary drinks and chocolate bars, it was carbs that got me in the end and my clinic called me over the phone and said my A1C was 6.5 and that I was diagnosed with type two diabetes.

I attended a 3 day seminar on how to manage my condition and prevent any complications, in the past month I've managed to drop 25 pounds through diet and exercise. I go to the gym 5 times a week now to get my 30 mins of daily cardio and strength regiment.

For the most part I've just been feeling stressed out, but I'm seeing a counselor on Thursday to talk about the process.

Also, how do you guys sleep? I've been managing about 5-6 hours of sleep a night and function normally throughout the day.

And thank you Daisy for the wonderful article for the newly diagnosed.

Reactions: ziggy_w

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, how do you guys sleep? I've been managing about 5-6 hours of sleep a night and function normally throughout the day.

the same with me: with t2d I’m able to sleep max 6 hours.

Reactions: Ragmar

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome @Ragmar . Your story is just like mine except I could not afford the gym membership so started walking. Then I found this site and realised that buying a bg meter and using it was the best thing I could do. I then discovered what foods were spiking my bg by keeping a food diary and could eliminate them. I found a lot of new delicious foods that I could eat and all is back under control. I know it is pointless telling you at the moment, but please consider what benefit will be served in 5 years time by all the stress you are putting yourself through. Stress only puts up your bg figures so is counter productive as your body goes into fight or flight mode. You are here now and sleep and relaxation are the next best things you can do after diet and exercise. You are doing the best thing you can for your health, sleep is part of that so some lavender in the bedroom, re-establishing a calming routine at the end of the day and if all else fails the most boring book in the library are all ideas for getting off to sleep. Most of all let the future take care of itself, it will look better in the morning when the sun comes up as usual.

kris.jersy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed T2 couple of month ago (7.0). This is the first time i am hearing about sleep. I don't have any problems with sleep. Sleep about 7 to 8 hours.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the same with me: with t2d I’m able to sleep max 6 hours.
Because I was recently diagnosed my doctor suggested that it might be stress related so I'm going to look into that but hopefully I'll be able to get a good nights sleep soon.

And thank you @Phoenix55 for the warm welcome. I spoke with my doctor and she suggested that I work on my stress and I'm looking forward to my appointment tomorrow with the counselor to work it out.

@kris.jersy I think it's just stress related and not t2 related

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
In some ways you did win the lottery in the best possible sense as your A1c compared to my initial is relatively low, and you have made changes to your lifestyle that should put you in better health overall. I wouldn't be surprised if between 3 to 6 months you are posting in the success thread a normal HbA1c.

I sleep like you as I stay up too late and know better. In fact I am going to take my advice and get to bed. Well done on the changes you have made.

lucysudbury95

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello there, I’m new to I’m type2 and have been for a year nearly.. I have been doing so much since and the weigh has only started to show and my sugars are getting there I work out and I do dances on my own home/back garden and walk nearly Everywhere... I haven’t been to any diabetic help thingy like diabetic management for food or understand what I should be eating but before I was diabetic I wouldn’t eat 3 meals or2meals it was always one meal and snack throughout the day till the last month I have been eating 3 meals a day if you need a chat or anything I’m only a message away :)

Topher36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, I won the lottery last month, 6.5 A1C. I've been reading this forum for awhile now and finally made an account to participate in discussions and ask a few questions of my own.

My story is simple, I was overweight and although I didn't indulge in sugary drinks and chocolate bars, it was carbs that got me in the end and my clinic called me over the phone and said my A1C was 6.5 and that I was diagnosed with type two diabetes.

I attended a 3 day seminar on how to manage my condition and prevent any complications, in the past month I've managed to drop 25 pounds through diet and exercise. I go to the gym 5 times a week now to get my 30 mins of daily cardio and strength regiment.

For the most part I've just been feeling stressed out, but I'm seeing a counselor on Thursday to talk about the process.

And thank you Daisy for the wonderful article for the newly diagnosed.
I sleep like a baby... I also have sleep apnea.. I can easily get 8hours... 9 is difficult though.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting: So my max 6h of sleep could be something other than t2d. But I have no stress, all blood parameters are in healthy limits, doing gym each day, feeling well.