diagnosed this week, and gave the nurse a laugh already

jfran

Hi there,
So i was diagnosed as diabetic on Tuesday by the doc, after a suite of blood tests following a severe allergic reaction, which picked it up.
This morning i went to the nurse for yet another blood test. I have veins that just dont want to give up their blood, so it took 2 nurses to get a vial out of me - rather large lump and bruise evident now.

Anyhow, i noticed that there were some leaflets on her desk about diabetes, so i asked if i could take some as the doc didnt really say much to me. So i picked up one about 'Diabetes and knowing the score', thinking it would tell me all about the condition, or give some info about the glucose levels you should aim for or similar... Nope - drugs! So ive learnt a lot more about the street names for drugs today, not much about diabetes! Doh! Hows that for sheltered life! I honestly thought it was going to be about glucose levels, and didnt get the 'score' link at all!

At least it has given me a little giggle today, as Ive been feeling really down in the dumps and crying a lot since Tuesday.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi jfran, and welcome!

Diagnosis is a shock to all of us, so don't worry about being down in the dumps - it happens to all of us at some time. Have a good read round on this site for the information you need, and don't be afraid to come back with questions. There's no such thing as a silly question on here, and usually someone around who can give you some answers.

Diabetes isn't the end of the world - promise! :D

Viv 8)

Unbeliever

I can empathise with you jfran ,as i too was diagnosed after suffering a severe allergic reacion. I think the shock of that was enough to cope with but a diagnosis of diabetes att he same time was overwhelming .

I am not surprised you have felt depressed and have been crying, After paramedics spending 40 minutes trying to stabilise me on the driveway and being whisked off to hospital in an ambulance I really think now , in retrospect, it may have been better to
have allowed me a few days to recover before anything fiurher was done. Instead they insisted I go, fasting to the GP the next day for an HBA1C. I really don't think they appreciate the role stress and trauma play in raising bg levels. Or are just anious not to be blamed if things go wrong.

However in one respect you are much more fortunate than I was . You have found this forum where you will get lots of information and support.

Just be nice and kind to yourself for a while. I know the professionals have a job to do but the occasional show of compassion and understanding would often be more effective than the things they actually do.

I find that my local hospital is very aware of this and is bringing this concept back into nursing. Maybe it will filter back down to the Practices.

You have every right to feel as you do . Take Viv's advice and read around this forum . Whe you have learnt more about it all you will begin t o feel more in control and able to cope

jfran

Im having a bad day, and bad night. I knew it would be much harder to keep up my low cal diet at the weekend (too much access to foods in the fridge, compare to being at work). Im 150 calories over my allowance today (im on 1183 cals a day - i do a weightloss website which allows me to log all my calories and shows me my nutrition info etc which is good, and tells me how many calories to eat to get a 2lb a week loss. Its really hard though. Im sure i must of regularly been eating 2500-3000 cals beforoe this week, so its probably almost 1/3 of my normal food intake which is a big change.

This evening went to the pub with husband, deliberately went out late, and ive been having diet coke. Now, i cant really cope with much caffeine, as it affects my bowels (IBS) but there is nothing else sugar free in the pub. I have left early and left husband in the pub, as I was just feeling so sad sitting there with everyone else enjoying themselves, drinking their drinks and eating their pub snacks. I feel like i never want to go out again. The fact i dont drink gets noticed in the pub anyway and commented on, but now i definitely not drinking anything i feel really self conscious about it. I dont want to tell anyone that i am diabetic. The only person who knows is my husband.

Thats the other thing, i appreciate its hard for him not being able to tell anyone else about it, as ive asked him not to. We live in a village where all his family is, and within minutes of him telling his parents it would be all round the village - im not from round here and i dont like this aspect of village life. Im getting stressed about going to the doctors so often as well, as his aunt lives at the end of the street of the GPs and spends her days leaning on her gate and previous experience has shown me within minutes husbands mother knows, then his dad/brother etc are all askiing after me. But it is already starting to grate on me, husband asking if i can eat every single thing. I know he is worried and wants to do whats best, but i am very independent person and i dont like issues being made of things, especially in public. And i know from now on, its all im going to get, from anyone who knows. Ive not told anyone else for the same reason, i dont want them to treat me differently and decide what i can and cant eat and have them talking about me.

Im so sad and angry. OK, ive written it down, lets hope i can get some sleep and tomorrows another day. Gym tomorrow so ill be able to get some exercise calories to eat. Sorry for going on.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi jfran and welcome to the forum :) It might help you to consider changing your diet from low calorie to low carbohydrate as this will enable you to keep your levels more under control. Have a look at the following information and you will probably find it is very useful. Ask as many questions as you like as we are all here to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
hi
jfran, welcome to the forum. It can be a bit of a shock when first diagnosed but i feel you would do better if you actually came out and told your friends and family you are a diabetic. Bottling it all up i think will make the whole process of coming to terms with it much worse for you.Also, your friends will find your behaviour very strange and very unlike you. Diabetes isnt a stigma, its a condition you now have and i hope you will learn through diet and or medication to control and therefore live a long and normal life. Also, within limits you can have alcohol as long as you understand this does lower your blood sugar levels which can cause hypos so it should be drunk in moderation. There's no reason at all you shouldnt got to the pub with your friends and family. There is no need to be ashamed of being a diabetic. All my friends know, probably bored by me about it too but i can see that they are impressed with my recent weight loss by reducing the carbs i eat.
Your condition cannot remain a secret for the rest of your life and if your friends and family dont know you are a diabetic and you have a hypo they wont be in a position to help you. I know its a private thing with you and your health but i dont think its neccessary for you to work yourself into an emotional state over something that is affecting more and more people these days.
I for one am saddened to have diabetes, my mum and her father have it so its in my family but i lead a perfectly normal life with no meds so far and you can too. Its certainly not getting me down. I am controlling it, its not controlling me is my philosophy.

Good luck to you and i can assure you that your friends and family wont treat you any differently, mine certainly dont.

Andy

mrawfell

jfran.
Diabetes is just another illness, which can be controlled and is not contagious. So why hide it ? If you had a self inflicted disease, such as an STD through sleeping around, I could understand. If you had a cold would you keep it a secret ? No, so why torment yourself about diabetes. all you are doing is giving yourself a lot of stress and as you have said people notice your change in behaviour. so they will talk and reach all the wrong conclusions. Just tell them there is no shame involved it's just one of those things. I like a beer and have a couple of bottles of a low calorie or light beer.
So lighten up.stop stressing yourself.