Diagnosed This Week

David66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been diagnosed with type 2 this week

To be honest i still dont really understand quite what is going on but going to treat this as a positive rather than a negative and a catalyst to change my life for the better, regardless of my diabetic status i probably was not going to see much beyond the next 5 years with my lifestyle so if this is what it takes then so be it to sort myself out!!!!

Been given the diet sheet which i am trying to follow reduce carbs seems to be important but struggling with everything else as it seems so complicated. I work away often so getting diabetic friendly food is going to be a challenge, for example the healthiest thing on the menu tonight was monkfish wrapped in ham so i removed the ham but there was potatoes and some tapanade

Need to some to understand what i can and cant have but i will get there

Reactions: 2 people

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Hi, I have worked away from home for about 3 years... Was diagnosed type2 recently when working locally. Also , recently offered a good contract but working away from home again. Turned it down as I knew it would be extremely difficult to control my glucose levels when dependant on pup grub, take aways, or supermarket stuff. Limiting yourself to just supermarket ready made salads would be torture. By the wAy... I would have eaten the ham and ditched the potatoes. Good luck .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Welcome David, you will soon receive a list of extremely good information from Daisy the moderator. Your monkfish would have been fine with the ham as the ham has little or no carbs. It is important that you obtain a testing kit, and check your blood sugars before and two hours after eating. This will guide you to foods that won't effect your blood sugars.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, do get a meter and you will be able to measure what foods affect you. You can certainly eat some carbs, but just keep them down and use the meter to guide you. Controlling the carbs is key. I don't know what else is on your diet sheet? I expect it will be the usual low-fat, low-salt stuff? Just think about the carbs and have proteins, fats, veg and whatever else grabs you.

David66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have worked away from home for about 3 years... Was diagnosed type2 recently when working locally. Also , recently offered a good contract but working away from home again. Turned it down as I knew it would be extremely difficult to control my glucose levels when dependant on pup grub, take aways, or supermarket stuff. Limiting yourself to just supermarket ready made salads would be torture. By the wAy... I would have eaten the ham and ditched the potatoes. Good luck .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Arrrggghhhh - i left the ham and most of the potatoes

David66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. Yes, do get a meter and you will be able to measure what foods affect you. You can certainly eat some carbs, but just keep them down and use the meter to guide you. Controlling the carbs is key. I don't know what else is on your diet sheet? I expect it will be the usual low-fat, low-salt stuff? Just think about the carbs and have proteins, fats, veg and whatever else grabs you.

Its a low GI list my food intake today has been

bowl of all bran with some dried apricots and half a peach
low fat yoghurt
1 piece of toast
2 cups of tea

two small pieces of chicken
small pot of assorted fruit
cottage cheese

sea bass - skin was crispy so assumed it had salf to left that
monk fish - had a few spuds monkfish and there was some green stuff on the plate - vegetables i am reliably informed (yuk but gotta get my head around it)

Got a meter but never understood when to use it but i do now ty

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me a small amount of roast potatoes in fat, preferably duck fat is ok with half a bottle of wine. No wine, no potatoes as alcohol lowers bg.

So I stay off spuds. And bread, cereal, rice or any kind of grain.

My DSN gave me a meter after I had threatened never to eat a single carb ever aging and I was right, most carbs are bad for me. I do eat some roots like turnip and celeriac but very little carrots and even less beet root. Cauliflower, cabbage, kohlrabi, spinach, leeks and a lot mre are ok for me.

I do however eat meat, fish, eggs and fat. A lot of fat. Fat will never raise bg so it is safe, regardless of what you are told. Olive oil, coconut oil, butter ,duck fat, goose fat, lard. These are my favourites.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi David
welcome, brilliant advice given so far:)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi David and welcome to the forum:)

Here is the information we give new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will be able to reply to you in addition to the useful replies other members have already given you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 70,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, Welcome

Use your meter before you eat and 2 hours afterwards, the idea being the before reading gives you a baseline number and the after reading shows you what effect that meal has had on your blood sugars, the idea being to avoid the meals/foods that spike your bg, you will read lots of stuff on the forum about carbohydrates, this is because they basically turn into sugar once digested and should therefore be restricted, personally i would never recommend using alcohol to reduce bg, rice potatoes, bread and pasta are the main culprits that are high in carbs but thats just the tip of the iceberg you will have to become a label reading loony in the shops and will struggle when eating out, this will take some researching, to find out just what you can eat, my method is blood glucose means everything so if its pre packaged salads that keep it down, so be it, pre packaged salads it is, daises post above should help, meantime have a good read of the forum, its not all bad :) best of luck

David66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your help - missing carbs already but i will get over this - i think the biggest problem i have is understanding portion control and what are free foods (foods that dont turn to glucose) - today for my lunch i had some smoked salmon, blue berries and some peppers in olive oil - normally this would have been a Ginsters sandwich and other similar type stuff

I like most fruit but are there any free fruits?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as fruit is concerned, the general thinking is to avoid tropical fruits such as bananas, oranges, grapes, and anything that grows in southern Europe etc. Stick to British native fruits, especially berries. Raspberries, blackberries, strawberries are good. Apples and pears are OK. Cherries and plums aren't too bad in moderation. Avoid fruit juices. However, all fruits contain a lot of sugar, but do contain so many other things that are good for you, so it's down to moderation again.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your help - missing carbs already but i will get over this - i think the biggest problem i have is understanding portion control and what are free foods (foods that dont turn to glucose) - today for my lunch i had some smoked salmon, blue berries and some peppers in olive oil - normally this would have been a Ginsters sandwich and other similar type stuff

I like most fruit but are there any free fruits?
The only way to really know is to test. I find it useful to test before food and at one and two hours after to understand what different foods and different combinations do to my bg. And I see no reason to ever go above 7, on a low carb high fat diet that is easy.

David66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Struggling at the moment and getting a little down - really really cutting out carbs yes its hard but i am getting but thats not the problem - just cant seem to get my bg level down - on diagnosis i scored 23 and that was pretty much over a week ago and have been testing every day pretty much since then - currently seem to be stuck at 9 - 11 regardless

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a good few days where I was just 'grazing' all day on (mainly) bits of protein (slice of ham, a boiled egg etc) Didnt actually sit down to a 'big' meal and BG stayed between 4.5 and 5.5 the whole time. Thinking this may be an option for me, I could quite happily 'nibble' all day long, although I do sometimes yearn to nibble on a slice of white bread toast with real butter :/

K

Kat100

Hello David welcome,
You will be finding out lots of information and doing a lot of thinking, don't forget to take a breath this is all so new and stressful, you have to work at finding out what eating pattern is the best for you as an individual .....
It is really early days....
I am 14 months into type 2 and still get really baffled....
Not an easy challenge this but you can do lots to improve things for yourself, take your time and set short goals to meet your needs.
Let us know how you get on....lots of Info on this site.....but choose what is right for you....
Best wishes and let us know how you are going ....Kat