Diagnosed type 2 on Thursday

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi everyone. I’m still getting my head round the diagnosis but I am so glad I found this forum.
Just a few questions I’m hoping you’ll all be able to answer for me.

My HbA1c reading came back at 122!
My doctor said it should be below 47.

The medication he has put me on is Metformin 500mg once a day.

He also said that I don’t need to self test my blood.

Along with this he said I should contact the DVLA and my car insurance company.

Does this all sound normal ?

He’s told me to eat a low carb diet.

The diabetic nurse will be in touch. How long until she contacts me? Has anyone got an idea?

Thanks for reading this.

Jo xx
Hi Jo,
I am very pleased that you happed to have a doctor who gave the correct advice about carbs - still so rare!
Too bad he kept to that old crazy idea that you can (as jjraak put it) 'drive without a speedo'.
A meter is essential to enable you with a low carb diet. Otherwise how can you tell which meals were wrong or just slightly too much etc. We are all slightly different in our tolerance of carbs, some can eat root veg, but I can't without spiking my BG.

Don't expect too much of the DN - you have already beaten the odds with the GP!

I’m loving this site and all the info. I was diagnosed recently too after being told I am pre diabetic for a year. I’m just so shocked as my Hbac1 is 45 and my Dr has me on 1000mg metformin twice a day. I see a few people here only take 500mg. My problem is I was not active and have now been walking for and hour to 2 every day just to get me started because I don’t think I would cope at gym. Thank you everyone for being so informative and helpful

Hi NDP,
Do you have a BG meter? 45 is not really high - was that before the Metformin?
Diet as in Lifestyle (unless you are a lot overweight in which case a little more diet than lifestyle) is a bigger factor in reducing Blood Glucose levels than exercise. The standard 5 x 30min brisk walks per week is sufficient for most - no need to risk your health in a gym!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi JO71 I’m also a newly diagnosed type 2 I saw my nurse with in a week but it can take up to a month I’m told . I don’t have to do my bloods either .What really helped was a book the nurse recommended called carbs and calories it’s recommended by diabetes U.K. it fabulous it take all the guess work out of it ,it show's portion sizes carb counts and lots more

Hi Trishmum,
I feel you are confusing the motive behind the GP or DN saying don't bother to measure your own BG.

They say that in the UK because the surgery doesn't want to pay for all the test strips you will use if you were given a BG meter!

They say is isn't necessary because in conventional medicine Type 2 Diabetes is incurable and progressive. So what motivation e dose the patient have to be pro-active and try to do something about it?
But thousands in these forums have already proved that conventional medicine is wrong!
So step up and take control of your body - get a meter and choose an appropriate sustainable lifestyle for yourself - then look forward to a much healthier future!