diagnosed type 2, two weeks ago help

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Defiantly get a meter .I bought a SDcodefree from Amazon mainly because the test strip are cheaper than the rest on the market,then Eat to your Meter as its called,finding what food makes you spike ,after a few months you will know what to buy when shopping and what to leave on the shelf,as for myself I found Desmond's a waste of time apart from the sandwiches . and T2,s can,t eat anything they want that's why they have diabetes

Reactions: 2 people

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Yeah - as has been said - you need a meter. Definitely raise it with whoever you see at your next appointment...ask about a meter and strips and say that you really want to be in control of your diet and would feel way less stressed to be able to check your own levels and not wait on HbA1c tests (which - valuably - test the average over a three month period)..try anyway..and if not..buy one..you won't regret it. By the way - it's a really good start you are making, being so concerned and pro-active in trying to inform yourself. No need to get stressed because you seem to be someone who will get in control soon enough. For what it's worth..I didn't have clue when diagnosed in April...and where I did have levels hitting as high as 15 regularly..I now get very annoyed if its over 8.5...and usually it's much lower than that. I bet in a few months time, I'll be raging if I get above 6.5!

kerrydoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:)thank you for all the information, really is so helpful, and your an helpful lot
did you find when first diagnosed and trying to alter everything you were probe to lot of headaches

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
:)thank you for all the information, really is so helpful, and your an helpful lot
did you find when first diagnosed and trying to alter everything you were probe to lot of headaches

I have never really suffered from headaches over 53 years of grind (I mean ...life), but yeah - a little...could be coincidental...could be I'm on a lot of meds...could be the adapting to new diet...could be following Celtic football club....probably a combination of them all. I think it is quite common..for a short while. I had a transplant (then got diabetes as a consequence of the drugs), and I am on a pile of ever-altered meds to prevent rejection...and every wee change upsets the system a little till it adapts. Same with diabetic, diabetic drugs, diet, stress...stomach is usually first to notice! Check your blood pressure (if possible)..120 over 80 is ideal...if mine us up a bit, I can feel a bit light-headed. What I'm yapping on about is..can be a few causes, but generally these kind of things are about adapting to changes to our fussy little systems. I have noticed, that if my fluid intake is a bit low, I get headaches..see if you have patterns like that.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest it was several months before I bought a meter,a bit of denial I think ,if I don't stick a sharp lancet in to my finger and draw blood it,s not for real that kind of thing its other people who have diabetes,I had most of the lowcarbing going for me but still eating porrage,muesli,fruit ,brown rice all the stuff the books tell you are OK luckly I took the plunge and bought a meter to find these foods where giving my very high numbers,evenually things really started to change for me weight loss ,good low BG numbers also my cholesterol numbers came down so stopped taking statins so no drugs at all ,I must be saving the NHS lots of money

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you know what your HbAic (blood sugar levels) were on being diagnosed as Type 2? If not you need to find out from the doctor so you know where you are starting from.

JayL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
metformin will do that for a few days until ur body adjust to it. Do you remember what ur blood sugar score was when they tested you, and were u fasting? I can't imagine them not wanting you to monitor this yourself.