Diagnosed yesterday

KatieW

Hi all, I was diagnosed with T2 yesterday and started on Metformin 500mg, I have to take 1 per day for 2 weeks then increase to 2 per day..

I'm just a bit confused by everything at the moment - what I can and can't eat (apart from the obvious) and am struggling to get my head around what's going on! I'm sure I'll get set straight soon but I'm just learning to cope with it.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Hi youll figure alot out qoute quickly especilly as you have come to the right place for practial help. Have a look arround the dietry advice sections as you'll no doubt be getting some shocks as to what you can tolerate and what will spike your bg'g . Good luck and welcome
James

Netty70

Hi Katie
Just get your head round being diabetic first and having to take medication every day all day :-(
Then start to look at changes you can make to help your diabetes
When I was first diagnosed it took me about a month just to get my head round it and even now I struggle
Good luck Hun

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, welcome :)

im sorry to hear your news :(

theres a lot to take in and no rush to do that, the main thing is that life isn't over, theres an awful lot to read about and you will have many questions, we have all been where you are now and anything we can help you with we will try our bests to ease the pain of this pain in the butt called diabloodybetes

for now have a look at the forum nutritional threads to pick up some eating tips, lots of folks on this forum believe that lowering carbs is the way to go, so have at look at the low carb threads and see what you think.

take a few breaths from time to time, overwhelming is what this is at first but time will make things easier

you can control this condition and live a long happy life, maybe longer and happier than without it :)

anyways for now good luck

sparkyrich

Andy12345 said:
you can control this condition and live a long happy life, maybe longer and happier than without it :)

anyways for now good luck

Every now and then a post makes me stop and think - this is one of those moments.
Having diabetes was beginning to feel like a royal pain. Now I'm starting to feel it might have been a good thing. Before diagnosis I was merrily bumbling towards a probable early grave. Exercise was a rude word, food and drink were enjoyed to the max.
I'm not saying I've now got a physique like Adonis (its more like the Dunlop blimp) or that my.diet is perfect, but I'm less of a couch potato and I'm at least trying with lower carbs and more veg.

Thanks Andy for letting me see a positive spin!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome, it's lovely to meet you :wave: Try not to worry too much, there are quite a few Type 2's on here who would help with useful advice and support.

Best wishes RRB

KatieW

Thanks for the posts guys & gals, I appreciate it.

I know I've got a long way to go before I'm comfortable with what's happened but I know that I'll get there. My boyfriend's been fab so far and supportive and is willing to change his diet to help me. I've given up drinking coke (can't stand the diet stuff) and switched to drinking more sugar-free squash and water. I have the odd glass of diet 7up as I need to feel the different texture of the bubbles!

The food thing is confusing as I said but I have an appt with the practice nurse on Monday afternoon so hopefully I'll get some advice there and I'll check out the rest of the forum after work tomorrow!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
please please please be careful with the advice the nurse gives you regarding food they have to follow certain guidelines which are under dispute so please read on after there advice

im trying hard not to ram my own theories on food down your throat as some disagree :)

I just know that the eating advice I was given by the medical profession was wrong and I know (hope) others will agree

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Katie and welcome to the forum :)

To add to all the advice/help you have already received from other members, here is the information which we give to new members which I hope you will find useful. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be along to help you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Andy ref NHS diet advice. Some professionals are up to date and have thought thru the right advice for diabetics but many follow the party line which is simply the wrong advice for diabetics. Lowering your carb intake and having low-GI will reduce your blood sugar and may help any weight loss needed. Fats are not a problem in sensible quantities. Portion sizes should be sensible as most of us have been eating too much. Eat to your meter as many will say. Come back with any questions.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Katie,

Welcome.
I have to say that this forum contains, without a doubt, the best information and resources that I have come across since being diagnosed a month ago. The NHS and your nurse will give you some guidelines (if you are lucky), but the best advice I read was on here... eat to your meter. For the first few months test your blood glucose each time you eat something new, and get a feel for what works for you and what doesn't. Some foods spike some people, some don't... it's a case of trial and error.

You will get your head around it, and as you have a supportive boyfriend, it will be even easier. (Mr Luceeloo, bless'im, has spent the last month claiming to be supportive but then filling the house and his body with chocolate, cakes, takeaways, and rubbish... I just let him get on with it!).
Diabetes is life changing, but in a couple of months you are going to be healthier than ever :)

Lucy.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Hello Katie

Welcome to the forum.

It was a nightmare for me at first, having a few days of no info at all from the GP to a sudden influx of information that was threatening to give me headaches for weeks, until I decided to try a diet plan for a few weeks to see if it made any difference, if not I was prepared to try something else until I found a plan that worked. I keep a food diary along with blood sugar results so that I have a good idea how that particular meal effected my blood sugars. Its a lot of work at first but now I can repeat some of those meals without having to worry as much.

There is lots of diet advice on here and also good folk to answer whatever questions you may have. For now take it one day at a time until you have a chance to process all the information you get. Its not the end of the world you will adjust just give yourself some time.

Take care

Mark

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Katie,

hopefully you live in an area where you will be offered structured education for your diabetes (either DESMOND or X-PERT). If you are offered it, take it, if not ask the practice nurse about it.

As has been said earlier, the NHS advice about diet, especially starchy carbohydrates is lagging behind recent research. It will probably take NICE a few years to even get around to starting to review it. Many now say that fresh fruit and vegetables should be at the bottom of the food pyramid because starch is very quickly digested and absorbed as glucose.

A good rule of thumb is the more refined a carbohydrate is the worse it is for a type 2 (actually for everyone). Search the internet for Glycaemic Index, that will give you an idea how fast different foods become glucose in the bloodstream. While many members of this board follow low carb diets with as little as 50g per day, that may be a little extreme, especially if your boyfriend is also following the diet. Reducing your carbs by a moderate amount may well be enough.

I did not see any mention of your weight. Many newly-diagnosed type 2s are overweight or obese - I was. Losing just 10% can help, but the closer to a 'normal' BMI you can get the better. Visceral fat around the Liver and Pancreas has an effect on insulin sensitivity and fasting glucose as does exercise. So try to have a 500 calorie deficit by reducing what you eat AND getting more exercise.

If you have stomach problems with Metformin, ask for the slow release form. It is the best drug if you can take it because many of the others can actually make you put on weight.

lifesway

Try pepsi max gives a sweet taste although hubby says it tastes like a mixture of cough medicine and brake fluid lol, still he drinks it too and seems to enjoy it. I'm type 2 taking 2x500 morn and evening. I don't think I eat perfectly even though I'm supposed too but I have made changes to my diet and exercise each day, I lost 2 stone within 3 months at first although I did slip back to eating some of the bad stuff I'm stabalised now at 11 stone. If I concentrate perhaps I could lose more and be even better but it's one step at a time for me it's hard to change the habits of a lifetime. I avoid things like chocolate, biscuits pies and pastries eat fish and chicken with plenty of veggies and eat more regularly with an apple at dinner.I'm not perfect but it seems to be working for me and I allow myself odd straying moments from time to time.At diagnosing time they told me my bs was 13, I never ask what it is now when they do the tests as I prefer to live without the stress of it but I know its ok now as they told me I've stabalised now. When they first told me I had it I thought it was a death sentence but on here there are many people who've lived with it for years life is not over yet far from it! take heart and try not to worry too much.

KatieW

Thanks for all the replies. I've been away from the forum for a few weeks but am going to have a read through as I have quite a few questions about diet in particular.

I've pretty much cut out chocolate and full-fat drinks, I prefer to drink diet 7-up and no added sugar orange squash, will drink diet Coke/Pepsi when I'm out. I do have the odd bit of chocolate every now & again.

I am classed as obese, but I don't have much to lose to get to overweight having lost quite a bit of weight over the last few years (I've lost 20 kilos since the last time I was weighed about 5 years ago!) This is my goal first, then see about losing more.

I've now upped the Metformin to 2 daily (started on Saturday) and am still suffering from stomach problems, I'm going back to see the nurse at the end of Sept (which was 4 weeks from diagnosis) and will make an appt to see the Dr as soon as I can if I haven't settled down and still feel ill.

I have been given information about a support/education group (in Nottingham it's JUGGLE) but with work being so crazy at the moment I haven't been able to phone them yet but hopefully will be able to do so this week.

I also want to thank you all for your advice and help so far, I think that I'm going to find a lot of help in the coming months/years!

Viola-2013

Hi Katie, ask your doctor for a slow release metformin (Glucophage SR). It does have less side effects and is only to be taken once a day in the the evening. When I started my journey with metformin I have been told to take it during or straight after evening meal. It didn't work for me as I felt sick and had upset stomach. Now I have dinner and about 1-2hrs later I take Glucophage SR 1000 mg and no more signs of upset stomach :)