Diagnosis 2 days ago

Bucky1211

I need help with this I have been diagnosed type 2 2 days ago and I am struggling to find information about it all online like how I know if something has too many carbs and stuff like that can anyone point me in the right direction please thanks guys

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have come to the right place for advice and support, @Bucky1211 . Welcome.
If you are looking at packaged food, check the nutritional info on the packet.
5g or less per 100g is what to aim for if you are planning to go low carb.
This might be a good place to start:
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/how-to-count-carbs/
T
here are also some links in my signature.
Have a read, come back and ask questions.

MaviesDavies2

Hey Bucky1211

Welcome to the club which none of us wanted to join!

I can recommend a book, Carbs and Cals, to help you understand which foods are low carb, nice and easy to follow.

Do some more research… take it slow… no need to make all the changes at once.

Most people recommend getting a blood glucose monitor and testing before and 1-2 hours after meals to see how your body reacts to different foods.

Best of luck! Ask lots of questions here, you will get an answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bucky1211

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also have a look at the Diet Doctor website. They have some useful infographics of different groups of food. Get a meter which has cheap testing strips, have a look at Homehealth.co.uk. Once you get the knowledge and means to tackle this you should be on the way to better BG. Good luck from me!

Reactions: Bucky1211

Bucky1211

Thanks very much guys I appreciate it I got a glucose monitor from the hospital when I got diagnosed and thanks for the nutrition info as well that’s what I have been looking for mostly x

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thanks very much guys I appreciate it I got a glucose monitor from the hospital when I got diagnosed and thanks for the nutrition info as well that’s what I have been looking for mostly x
One small detail:
If you look at info on packaging, it usually says "Carbohydrates per 100gm (or ml)" and underneath "of which sugars". All the sugars are contained in the Carbohydrates, so it is only the Carbohydrates you need to look at. All of it turns to glucose (blood sugar) ultimately. Good health!

GhummZ

Hi

Welcome to the club. I was diagnosed just over 3 months ago, please read my opening post in this section of my journey.

In essence, i managed to bring my hba1c dowm from 10.4% all the way down to 5.7% with dirt and exercise.

Like you. I went through a month of depression as i didnt know what to eat. Just remember, all of our bodies are different, some people are unable tolerate carbs where my diet for the last 3 months has been around 50-100g carbs per day.

Non activr days i manage 50, and my active days 100 and sometimes even gone higher to 150 and have been fine with this.

The biggest choice i made was to give up bread products, as that can amount to high carbs plus.i was and still am going for weight loss. but at the same time i ensured i enjoyed a slice of pizza one a month.

A typical example of my diet

Breakfast
Fage total 0% fat yoghurt. High in protien with around 6g carbs per 100. Ill add to that some strawberries and 20g of gronola for a bit of crunch.

Lunch - salad with baked chicken breast made with different spices. I.love cooking so every day is a different recipe. Ill have an apple for dessert

Evening meal. - boiled brocolli, cauliflower with chicken or fish. Sometimes i even make tortillas with lettuce leaves. For dessert ill have an apple, pear or pear.

Afternoom for a snack ill normally have a handful of almonds or cashews if i feel hungry

Get plenty of exercise, brisk walks if you dont fancy doing.something intense im the gym. Thats how i started.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What really matters is the total carbs you consume each day. Set yourself a daily limit - probably below 150gm/day. Based on your experience this can be adjusted to avoid blood sugar gain and also weight gain.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Properly understanding what type 2 is and what really makes it worse is incredibly useful so you can avoid those things. Both in terms of food and testing. These links have loads of explanations and further links to look through.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/
Has how to test been explained to you? It’s often left at testing in the mornings and that isn’t the most effective option when starting out. Before and 2 hrs after a meal shows if you coped well or not with that food. A rise of 2mmol, or even better less, is the goal. Remember meters are not as precise as some people believe so don’t get overly hung up or stress about decimal places and look for trends instead.