Diagnosis confusion

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Am very confused. As I previously stated I was diagnosed by gp as type 2 diabetic at Christmas & am on 500mg of metformin. Instead of appointment for DN I received copy of ltr she sent to my gp suggesting it may be thyroid issue.

My question & biggest confusion is if I am not diabetic how can I be taking metformin with no issues as I have read if you have metformin for no reason you suffer bad effects.

Any ideas?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What readings were you given at diagnosis for Hba1c and blood glucose?
If you were in the diabetic range, the opinion of the nurse is irrelevant.
Don't worry about the Metformin, it didn't seem to do much for me when I was taking it, and it doesn't lower your levels.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Don't worry too much about the Metformin, concentrate on confirming your possible thyroid issue. As Diabetes and Thyroid issues can sometimes go hand in hand it is important to know what you are dealing with so I would suggest a visit to the GP is in order, s/he may order more tests to be done even if it is just to confirm or rule out a problem with your diagnosis. Good luck.

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
#resurgram my reading showed HBAC1 of 89 but dont think I've blood glucose test as she seems to recommend this in ltr as well as fasting test.

Both thyroid & type 2 are in family hence my confusion..

Thanks for assurance everyone I will just wait & see but continue to focus on diabetes until told otherwise.