Type 2 Diarrhoea Diet

Mimi's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,
First of all thanks for this wonderful forum and all the amazing people who respond so fast!
I have PCOD involved insulin resistance or vice versa, and I was on SR Metformin 500 thrice a day for past two years and last month it has been reduced to twice a day.
Three days back I had severe food poisoning with chills and fever and loosies and am on anti biotics. I have been advised by the Doc to go off Merformin for five days of the antibiotic course. Since I cannot eat any low carb or high protein food, I am having Apple stew, boiled potatoes and rice. All high starch food along with Electral. I fear I will have to be on this diet for a while. I am worried that my insulin resistance will become worse with this. But I have to have some food till my stomach becomes less sensitive to greens and other stuff! What do I do? Confused and worried. I have been having a sensitive stomach with cramps since October. Please advise diet...Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi,

what is PCOD? I goggled it, and all that came up was PCOS.

and why can't you eat low carb or protein foods?

(sorry if that looks like an interrogation, but I can't offer any suggestions until I understand the question... :)

Reactions: Mimi's

Mimi's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your interest. Since my stomach is very sensitive at the moment, I am unable to digest any food other than starchy food due to diaharrea.Anything which is fibrous or meaty makes my stomach upset and I have watery motions. In fact the diet for normal diarrhea patient is BRAT Banana, Rice, Apple and Toast. Yes, PCOD is PCOS. D is for disease when it is diagnosed. Then it doesn't remain only as S for symptoms. Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, in my neck of the hormonal woods it is PCOSyndrome. I have never considered it a disease, because the Syndrome describes it better.

I have always found that BRAT diet completely and utterly useless, and found that going back to stuff like scrambled eggs, chicken soup and easily digested cooked veg is a much better option. I would certainly avoid high starchy things because of the blood sugar impact with the knock on insulin resistance.

One thing I was told years ago - and that has always worked like a charm for me - is to avoid wheat products (i.e. the toast) for weeks after an upset stomach. Wheat and gluten are quite challenging for many of us to digest, and if the food poisoning has stripped the lining of the digestive tract, then wheat is fairly indigestible, until the lining has grown back.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I find live yoghurt usually settles stomach upsets - Greek yoghurt is low carb, but you can just buy probiotic tablets which do the job just as well.

Reactions: Mimi's

Mimi's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ah, in my neck of the hormonal woods it is PCOSyndrome. I have never considered it a disease, because the Syndrome describes it better.

I have always found that BRAT diet completely and utterly useless, and found that going back to stuff like scrambled eggs, chicken soup and easily digested cooked veg is a much better option. I would certainly avoid high starchy things because of the blood sugar impact with the knock on insulin resistance.

One thing I was told years ago - and that has always worked like a charm for me - is to avoid wheat products (i.e. the toast) for weeks after an upset stomach. Wheat and gluten are quite challenging for many of us to digest, and if the food poisoning has stripped the lining of the digestive tract, then wheat is fairly indigestible, until the lining has grown back.
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you suggest some easily digested cooked vegetables?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mimi's - How about something like a little poached fish or chicken? For me, that would be more satisfying and nutritious than a big bang of carbs.

You could also be finding if your diet had changes significantly, in order to adopt your BRAT diet, that in itself could be adding to the upset. A big swing in diet can cause a bit of, ...erm,...... instability, even when the person is healthy, as their bodies get used to digesting the new foods.

For easily digested veggies, I might try a little steamed cauliflower, maybe as cauliflower mash, with some butter or cream in it.

Please ensure you you stick to modest portions as your body recovers, to give it the best chance of recovering efficiently.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re the veg, I always seem to reach for broccoli :)
It goes very soft if overlooked, and can be mushed up with anything, even yogurt, if that takes your fancy.

My usual after-upset way of eating is to get a chicken, roast it, then make soup by dropping veg into a pan with water and a stock cube. Bring to boil until cooked (soft enough), add some chicken meat, and have as soup. If you have a hand blender you can wizz it til smooth, but that isn't necessary. You can add cream, cheese and seasonings if wanted, but I always start off very gently! :D

A single chicken can last for days of easy eating like this. Very kind on the digestive tract.