Diary day 2

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great. Don't let 'em grind you down Deb. Think of you. You matter and you need to cater to your needs right now :)

So my first ever diabetic cakes are in the oven and smell great! I'm making coconut cupcakes with chocolate frosting. But I may have to wait til tomorrow to try them as I've just had a slice of my low GL peanut butter cheesecake.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1400424829.742777.jpg

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so for lunch my post reading was 5.8 after ham and cream cheese salad with chickpeas.

Had peanut butter cheesecake and a coffee for snack and I'm so pleased!! 5.6 after two hours. So if I can't master sponge cakes at least I'll have cheesecake!

And it froze well too!

Reactions: 4 people

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Liz, glad to see that you and other posters in this thread are fighting to get your bgs down :)

Sorry, however, but I have to - ever so slightly - rain on your parade:

Whole wheat grains (flour) will contain the same amount of starch (= carbs) as normal flour. The only difference may be that the absorption may take slightly longer - but nevertheless the same amount of carbs. - The same goes for whole grain pasta instead of plain pasta.

Personally, I avoid both (whole grain and plain) - they will skyrocket my bg - same as with all cereals (porridge!). But your way may vary.

Annelise
Hi Annelise, thanks for your feedback. I've only been recently diagnosed, and so for the moment everything is trial and error as my Nurse told me just to eat anything only smaller portions.

I've since found that doesn't work, and so I'm still in the testing stage of seeing what affects me. I've found porridge is not too bad for my BG a and surprisingly last evening had some ravioli made with spinach and ricotta cheese, and my BG was only 7.3 ...when the last days it had been going up to 12+ .

I'm hoping I will be able to reduce that even further soon.

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok so for lunch my post reading was 5.8 after ham and cream cheese salad with chickpeas.

Had peanut butter cheesecake and a coffee for snack and I'm so pleased!! 5.6 after two hours. So if I can't master sponge cakes at least I'll have cheesecake!

And it froze well too!

Is that one of Patricks recipes ? I love cheesecake, my daughter sat and ate a gorgeous one in front of me yesterday.......I nearly caved in.
I m not really that keen on peanut butter, but thinking it may be a good source of protein and maybe I could do with introducing it into my diet.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Annelise, thanks for your feedback. I've only been recently diagnosed, and so for the moment everything is trial and error as my Nurse told me just to eat anything only smaller portions.

I've since found that doesn't work, and so I'm still in the testing stage of seeing what affects me. I've found porridge is not too bad for my BG a and surprisingly last evening had some ravioli made with spinach and ricotta cheese, and my BG was only 7.3 ...when the last days it had been going up to 12+ .

I'm hoping I will be able to reduce that even further soon.

Liza - After your pasta last night, how was your morning reading this morning? When I did my initial testing, on pasta, I found the rise was not too extreme, but my readings remained elevated, a bit, for over 24 hours. Very odd.

As the rise, but more so it's prolonged elevation was more than I was willing to tolerate, I stopped having pasta. Curiously, I can have Malaysian style noodles, without any unacceptable impact on my levels. I must get around to trying pasta again, as it's one of those potentially easy store cupboard meals we all like to call upon, from time to time.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that one of Patricks recipes ? I love cheesecake, my daughter sat and ate a gorgeous one in front of me yesterday.......I nearly caved in.
I m not really that keen on peanut butter, but thinking it may be a good source of protein and maybe I could do with introducing it into my diet.

I adapted Patrick's recipe to make peanut butter but you can make anything really if you use his base recipe for the lemon one. It's delicious with strawberries and cream, and you'd never know it was diabetic.

X

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing low GL which is similar to LCHF but looks at the relationship of food combining which should stabilise BG.

Hi, GL and LCHF are two completely different methods. In LCHF you cut down on carb rather severly, keep protein intake normal and eat fat instead of carbs. The carbs in LCHF comes mainly from nuts, dairy and vegetables (but rarely roots). It is common to keep carb intake at 5-10E% or less.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's pretty much what I'm doing. I'm aiming to keep carbs as low as possible and only having lower GL carbs in small quantities.

Carbs are the enemy.

X

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Hi, GL and LCHF are two completely different methods. In LCHF you cut down on carb rather severly, keep protein intake normal and eat fat instead of carbs. The carbs in LCHF comes mainly from nuts, dairy and vegetables (but rarely roots). It is common to keep carb intake at 5-10E% or less.

Sorry, but I need to ask what GL is - is it about glycemic index? (and I agree that root vegetables are not good - this sadly includes potatoes and any derivatives - e.g. lovely chips and French fries :()

annelise

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's an extension of gi. Basically careful carbs, good protein and healthy fats. It looks at combining combos of food to slow the process of absorption down of glucose.

It makes total sense when I read about it! It's definitely helping me to stabilise day BG but my challenge is the morning fast BG which ranges from 6.4-6.9. I'd like it to be a lot less!!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So tonight's delicious chicken korma with about 50g cooked brown basmati had no impact on my BG as I measured 5.6 two hours later. It's good to know I can still have some rice!

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Liza - After your pasta last night, how was your morning reading this morning? When I did my initial testing, on pasta, I found the rise was not too extreme, but my readings remained elevated, a bit, for over 24 hours. Very odd.

As the rise, but more so it's prolonged elevation was more than I was willing to tolerate, I stopped having pasta. Curiously, I can have Malaysian style noodles, without any unacceptable impact on my levels. I must get around to trying pasta again, as it's one of those potentially easy store cupboard meals we all like to call upon, from time to time.
My Post pasta reading was 8.0, which although high is much better than last week when I first started testing. This morning my fasting BG was 7.0, so like you said its a slow decline. But again for me that's better than it has previously been.

This evening it's worse :-( I had okra in tomato sauce and 1 brown roll, and about 5 grapes.....and after 3 hours it's 9.3. Not good. Which makes the level after the pasta yesterday even more surprising.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Liz - did you have neat with the pasta? That would slow down the spike.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So tonight's delicious chicken korma with about 50g cooked brown basmati had no impact on my BG as I measured 5.6 two hours later. It's good to know I can still have some rice!

Test that at 3 hours next time and may be even at 4.

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After yesterday's evening meal of lots of Okra in a tomato sauce, with one brown bread roll and 5 grapes which gave a post prandial reading of 9.3, my fasting is only down to 7.9. Why still so high?

Wonder if the dawn phenomenon is anything to do with it?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The cheese would've slowed down release of carbs in pasta. Try it with meat next time.

No idea about dawn thing but reckon I have it. Mine is high at mo...

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
High protein gives elevated levels for hours. So also consider this. I find beef takes the longest

Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
High protein gives elevated levels for hours. So also consider this. I find beef takes the longest

How do you know this? I am learning new stuff like this all the time!

So much stuff is contradictory, so sometimes it's hard to find a way!!

X

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Now I'm even more confused. If we are cutting down on Carbs and so increase the protein for energy, and the BG levels are elevated, then how is that helping? How will I know if that's my bodies reaction to the small amount of carb I've eaten or the meat?