Diary day 2

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
it elevate it up a small amount but does not spike you. For example I recently had a huge banquet of different types of steak and in the morning my BG levels where at 5.6 and stayed at that level until just before 12 from the night before. This is what happens when you body metabolises protein into glucose. Now you know why it is LCHFat and not LCHProtein

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I am still trying to work out why my BG should be considerably higher without two potatoes. Sameish meal...difference was that the second had the famous cauli mash in place of the potatoes! I need to try wholewheat pasta and see what happens. For some reason the full fat Greek yoghurt and berries makes my BG quite high too.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
try the yoghurt seperately from the berries. Your body cannot regulate the fructose in the berries so you will just spike until you liver processes it into glycogen

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Thanks Andrew. Think I will leave it out then because I am not that keen on plain yoghurt on it's own.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
ok been thinking about your meal which was higher without the starch. It could be that without the carbs your liver decided to give you some glucose as your pancreas may have been expecting some and dosed you up with insulin and thereby driving your numbers down first. Remember fat takes a while to be metabolised just like protein. Just a conjecture but you could test this out with 15 minute tests if you really want to prove it.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Thanks. I just might try that :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still trying to work out why my BG should be considerably higher without two potatoes. Sameish meal...difference was that the second had the famous cauli mash in place of the potatoes! I need to try wholewheat pasta and see what happens. For some reason the full fat Greek yoghurt and berries makes my BG quite high too.

It may have had less to do with food and more to do with stress, tiredness, exercise during the day, adrenalin... They all play a part. That's why it is best to test the same meal several times, and get a rough average. You'll never know every factor, but you'll develop an instinctively accurate guesstimate. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
It may have had less to do with food and more to do with stress, tiredness, exercise during the day, adrenalin... They all play a part. That's why it is best to test the same meal several times, and get a rough average. You'll never know every factor, but you'll develop an instinctively accurate guesstimate. ;)

Hi
Now stress I can accept because I have been going through quite a lot lately :(
I am testing the same meal at least three times though. Thanks for your input.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning fast was 6.2 - was happy with that...

After brekkie - usual one - my reading was 6.7! Weird. I walked kids to school and back but nothing different to normal.

Funny this BG malarkey!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Morning fast was 6.2 - was happy with that...

After brekkie - usual one - my reading was 6.7! Weird. I walked kids to school and back but nothing different to normal.

Funny this BG malarkey!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014.

Did you take your kids to school straight after breakfast? In that case whatever benefit you would have gotten from the walk may have been diminished by the slow coming down in BS levels from having eaten.

I checked 1 1/2 hours after breakfast this morning (6.5), then went for a 30 minute walk and checked again - 4.7. If I had gone straight after breakfast I don't think my reading would have been that low.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm I think it would've been within thirty mins so that's probably why then! Clever you!!

I've since tested after an hour to sadly discover it spikes at 9! So doesn't agree with me. I'm now trying to eat more fat/protein and cut out carbs.

Had cooked breakfasts last couple of days. May try yoghurt tomorrow.

Xxx

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmm I think it would've been within thirty mins so that's probably why then! Clever you!!

I've since tested after an hour to sadly discover it spikes at 9! So doesn't agree with me. I'm now trying to eat more fat/protein and cut out carbs.

Had cooked breakfasts last couple of days. May try yoghurt tomorrow.

Xxx

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

It is a nuisance, isn't it, Deb. We just need to figure out what we can have and what we can't. I'm still learning as well.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a nuisance, isn't it, Deb. We just need to figure out what we can have and what we can't. I'm still learning as well.

Today was a really bad day today for me and I really felt like giving up...I won't though xxx

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Sorry about that Deb, but we're all in this together so stay strong. I know you will.

Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry about that Deb, but we're all in this together so stay strong. I know you will.

Thanks guys xxxx

I hate feeling so stupid and lost. I'm not daft usually and can grasp a new concept pretty quickly but not this egg!

I think going to see what diet doc does for me.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Today was a really bad day today for me and I really felt like giving up...I won't though xxx

No, don't give up, Deb. We all have good days and bad days. I find that if I have a bad day I keep reading the forum, that usually keeps me on the straight and narrow.