Did anyone see....

chocoholic

....the article in the health pages of the Daily Mail this week about a new gadget to measure blood sugars. It is some sort of implant that is put into the EYE :shock: . Apparently you hold up some sort of monitor to the eye and it then automatically tells you what your blood sugar is. This is supposed to be an improvement on pricking our fngers. Hmm. Not sure I'd fancy that one.
It does say it's still at the experimental stage but it made me laugh when it said this has been tested on mice. I just had visions of all these mice lined up, lifting a gadget to their eyes to check their blood sugars and then collecting their fifty quid for being a guinea-pig (probably leading to identity crisis at the very least) and then toddling off back under the floorboards.
Hmm. Perhaps I just have an over-active imagination. :lol:

stabatha

eewww I hate the thought of anything going in, or near my eyes, I think I'll stick with the finger pricking thanks.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
stabatha said:
eewww I hate the thought of anything going in, or near my eyes, I thing I'll stick with the finger pricking thanks.

I'm with you on that one.The optician has enough trouble doing my glaucoma test,no way would I go through that every day [[[[[shudder]]]]]]] It's something to do with the liquid in the eye ball showing a more accurate percentage of chemicals in the body .A bit like your core temperature being more accurate than under your oxter.

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Loving the idea of mice lining up. The thought has cheered me up as I seem to be having a bad day.

Regards Val

RPNKW

You really have to watch the daily mail,it is shot through with "Health guru" ******** in it's pages and it's various free magazines on Sunday where some psuedo new age idiot tells you how immersing their face in cow pats changed their lives. I get very fed up with shoving a pin in my finger 4 times a day but can live with it and it is pretty much tried and tested (Though you can get varying results if you do "Control " tests).Leave my eyes out of it.

As for the mice, nice image but what about "Millimoles per litre" I keep getting this image of hordes of microscopic furry things with big shovels for paws swimming around bloodstreams, who the hell in Britain dreamt up "Millimoles" as a means of measuring blood sugs. Posibly someone from the daily mails health pages.

RPNKW

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dear RPNKW
the mole is a very straightforward measurement which used to be included in chemistry courses at about year 9 level. For some reason, many pupils found it difficult. Mainly because they wouldn't believe how simple it is and like many other challenging ideas in school science, it got dropped. When I was in school, in the dark ages, it was called a gram molecule. A millimole is 1 thousandth of a mole. If you want some fun try this. a mole of an element contains Avagadro's number of atoms.
Check me diabeticgeek.
I once took a short cut through a colleague's lab, whilst he was teaching sixth form physics. As I sneaked across the back of the room, he called "what's Avagadro's number?" I replied and he told the class, " See she's a biologist and knows it. It's something every scientist has at their fingertips."
Was I glad it jumped into my mind. I hadn't thought about it for decades. Incidentally a millimole of glucose weighs 0.148grams. since we have about 4 lires of blood, we should have about 3 grams of glucose circulating in it. ( all this in rounded numbers)
Someone please check my sums!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Glucose is C6H12O6 so a mole is 180 g (12x6+12+16x6=180)

Normal blood glucose level is about 90mg/100ml, which works out to 5mM/L, as the molecular weight of glucose, C6H12O6, is about 180 g/mol.

Not to be confused with moles or mole crickets.

2248412370_2a00e6c9f6.jpg

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
YUK!!! Don't like crickets, especially the large New Zealand varieties called Wetas!! Could be there's a scientific term lurking in there somewhere?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
diabetesmum said:
YUK!!! Don't like crickets, especially the large New Zealand varieties called Wetas!! Could be there's a scientific term lurking in there somewhere?

How can you not LOVE them :?:
This pic is life size (100 mm, 8 in.) She's beautiful, & at 70 g with eggs would make a delicious low carb meal :wink:
Knights.weta.750pix.jpg

They are heavy insects with a body length of up to 10cm (4in) not inclusive of its lengthy legs and antennae, and weigh about 20-30g. A captive giant weta (Deinacrida heteracantha) filled with eggs reached a record 70g, making it one of the heaviest documented insects in the world