Did Going Low Carb Skew My Son’s Rest Results ?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

There was some concerned regarding my son’s elevated blood sugar levels. The recent test result showed his blood tests are within the normal range but I’m worried that going Low carb for a week, may have skewed my son’s test results and he may actually have slow onset Diabetes.

Going back, my son had a blood test done and showed his HBac1 level of 6.3. The GP was concerned and order another HBac1 test to be done and a fasting glucose. We did another test straight away ( about a couple of days after this HBac1 test) and his HBac1 was 6.1 and he had a fasting glucose of 6. My Gp then referred us to an endocrinologist, and this was the week we did the Low carb diet-ish, when we saw the endocrinologist, she reckons it wasn’t my son’s high use of steroids that caused the raised blood sugar level, she took many tests, but relating to diabetes; the antibodies, C-peptide, HBac1 and glucose.

His results are now, for the HBac1: 5.8, C peptide was normal, glucose was 5.5 and diabetic antibodies were pending. All these new results were non fasting.

I’m worried going Low carb for a week, may have skewed my son’s results, should I keep doing a low-carb-ish diet ?

Hi,

My reasoning to the original question in the thread title.
No, they weren't skewed in the result. The logic is; endogenous insulin would adjust to the dietary intake. (Supply & demand.) If this fell below the normal parameters (even fasting for periods.) this would cause issue...

Hope this helps!

Last edited: