did I have a hypo ?

yoda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just felt awful and wanted to sit down , wobbly , shaking faint
Tested my BG 4.3 it read is that very low?? Raided the chocolate box ..... Still feeling wobbly ... After 10 minutes ... Have I had a hypo ?

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Different people can feel that they are having a hypo at different readings. If it is a hypo you would normal feel better about 10-15 minutes of eating something sweet, but if you keep eating sweet things that will make you worse again. After the initial quick fix, you need to eat something better.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You were close to what is normally regarded as the hypo threshold of 4.0. If your meter is one of those that read high then the true BS could have been in the 3's. It is possible you had a hypo. You will know a little more if you feel better after eating the sugar.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was probably the start of a hypo. I vary and can have those symptoms when I'm just below 5 or sometimes only when I go below 4; it does vary. My symptoms are feeling a bit 'woozy' (spaced out and not quite with it) and a bit shaky. I find it can take up to an hour or so to get fully back to normal even having taken glucose tablets

Reactions: 2 people

yoda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You were close to what is normally regarded as the hypo threshold of 4.0. If your meter is one of those that read high then the true BS could have been in the 3's. It is possible you had a hypo. You will know a little more if you feel better after eating the sugar.
Thanks Squire ! Yes I was ok again after 15 minutes or so , I will have to watch this , my metformin is kicking in now I think . I take 2 tabs a day .
It has taken 4 months to work I think LOL . Thanks again !

yoda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was probably the start of a hypo. I vary and can have those symptoms when I'm just below 5 or sometimes only when I go below 4; it does vary. My symptoms are feeling a bit 'woozy' (spaced out and not quite with it) and a bit shaky. I find it can take up to an hour or so to get fully back to normal even having taken glucose tablets
Thanks , Yes Was a hypo I think ...... I will have to watch this , as I am now on meds for Diabetes 2 ...... metformin x 2 tabs a day . as my BG was uncontrollable ! Brian

yoda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahh I had a similar thing a few months ago.
Felt faint, shaky, hot flushes, etc etc…
I had experimented with porridge which caused a spike, then exercised to bring it down.
@Andrew Colvin says I dropped my BG too fast and too low, went to 3.3 or something silly by the time I tested.
I did the same as you, ate a sweet.
It's not a dangerous hypo like a type 1 gets.
Your liver kicks in and straightens it all out.
But I did feel very ill for the rest of the day.
Your body just isn't used to the lower BG yet is all … I think anyway ;)

Thanks Dibbles - that all makes sense. This diabetes disease is a big subject , with nothing being straight forward .
Thanks for all your replies !!
BTW I want that dog !! I cant work out if he or she is an Akita . or a Husky .... OR BOTH ! LOL
Thanks again ! Brian ;)