Did something silly

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi friends,
I have some binge eating issues, and last night I had crisps, some chocolate wafer cubes and sugary cereal before bed. I was drinking whisky with it, as that usually keeps my blood sugar low (I appreciate as I'm writing this, that it doesn't look very healthy at all). Anyway, I woke up at 4:00am feeling pretty awful and decided to do a blood test. It was 13.9, so not great. I wasn't comfortable going back to bed knowing my blood was that high, so I tried skipping rope for 15 minutes. I did another test, and my BG had gone down to 9.8. That actually seemed like an encouraging drop, so I did another 15 minutes jumping rope, then had a cold shower and waited till 5:00 to do another blood test- it had gone down to 6.7 (thank God).
What a dumb night.
All my own fault.
Now I need to try to go back to sleep for, like, an hour before I need to get up for work.
I don't even know why I'm recounting this, but hopefully I can learn something from the mistake, and maybe if anyone reading this has had a lapse or done something silly, you might feel better about it. I suppose what matters is what we do after our mistakes.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We all do daft things from time to time (although perhaps not quite as daft as that). The trick is to learn from it and not repeat. :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The way I look back on my 'wobbles' is to ask myself 'Was it worth it?' and it never was. You have learned a valuable lesson in that combining booze with high carb foods is going to mean hours of effort to bring down your levels. So you just have to get back on that waggon having put this behind you. We are human, we have wobbles sometimes. Best of luck.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
What were you doing having such carb heavy foods in the house? Stock up on different cheeses and olives for a 'binge', whisky with 90% chocolate should not do too much damage. We all make mistakes from time to time, so learn from it, do something to stop it happening the same way again, then move on.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A couple of whisky's ,cheese and some as mentioned 90% chocolate shouldn't do too much harm.
I'm trying a glass or too of dry red wine a week as a treat.
It's hard especially when you see all the sweet tubs for sale,but thinking back I didn't really eat them pre diagnoses.Just a little now and then.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wasn't comfortable going back to bed knowing my blood was that high, so I tried skipping rope for 15 minutes. I did another test, and my BG had gone down to 9.8. That actually seemed like an encouraging drop, so I did another 15 minutes jumping rope, then had a cold shower and waited till 5:00 to do another blood test- it had gone down to 6.7 (thank God).
What a dumb night.
All my own fault.
Now I need to try to go back to sleep for, like, an hour before I need to get up for work.
My sincere reaction to your post is, What an amazing effort, well done! I do sometimes drag myself out to do some gentle-ish walking when I see a number on my meter that I don't like, despite feeling tired and reluctant, but skipping rope !?! For 2 sets of 15 minutes in the middle of the night! IMO skipping at the gym in daytime as part of a planned workout is HARD! Just about the hardest aerobic workout going. With determination and stamina like that you are going to be fine.And with any luck, the memory will serve as aversion therapy next time the urge to binge strikes.

Reactions: Diakat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time I skipped with ropes I tore my Achilles tendon and was on crutches for 6 weeks. Just saying ... ;)