Didn’t Sleep A Wink and Sensor FAILURE!!!

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Didn’t get a wink of sleep. Was woken TWICE in the early hours of this morning by a hypo alert!! Did finger prick both times. Finger pricks said otherwise that I wasn’t having a hypo!

Went back to sleep and turned off receiver as not to to be woken again. Got up this morning to a sensor failure message! I don’t seem to be having much LUCK with these sensors!!
IMG_3105.png

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought the recent false hypos were all with the same sensor and always overnight which clearly indicates that they are compression lows.
I know you feel you have place the latest in the same place as previous ones but I have found that 1cm difference in placement can make a huge difference in whether I lie on my sensor or not. So, I recommend taking a good look at where it was and making sure you place the next one in a slightly different place.
Personally, I find I am less likely to lie on a sensor higher up my arm and further back. My current sensor is pretty close to my armpit. I don't feel it and it has never caused a compression low.

With regard to the sensor failure, please make sure you report it to Dexcom. I know it is an extra hassle but they should replace it and the NHS should not be funded faulty equipment. It will also help you build up some supplies.

Sadly, technology does fails but it is not the end of the world. Many of us survived for decades with just finger pricking. Hey, many survived by sticking a stick in their urine.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just had another thought. @Neckarski_94 if you are finding your Dexcom is giving you more stress, would you feel more comfortable taking a break from it and just using finger pricks? The insights from CGMs are amazing but they can be a little overwhelming at first, especially when there are some technical glitches. Adding that to the stress of being diagnosed with diabetes can, understandably be too much.
Taking a CGM break is not a failure. It is another way of managing your condition which may suit you more at the moment.

Reactions: Neckarski_94

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Personally, I find I am less likely to lie on a sensor higher up my arm and further back. My current sensor is pretty close to my armpit. I don't feel it and it has never caused a compression low.
This one was higher up my arm. The first sensor I applied was closer to my armpit (had no compression lows) This latest sensor is the only one I have had problems with in regards to compression lows!
With regard to the sensor failure, please make sure you report it to Dexcom.
Already done! A replacement sensor has been shipped! My 3rd replacement! Is there a limit to how many goodwill sensors can be sent?
IMG_3108.png

Sadly, technology does fails but it is not the end of the world. Many of us survived for decades with just finger pricking. Hey, many survived by sticking a stick in their urine
Thank god I am only young and wasn’t around back then when you had to do a urine test. Finger pricking is bad enough!

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Just had another thought. @Neckarski_94 if you are finding your Dexcom is giving you more stress, would you feel more comfortable taking a break from it and just using finger pricks? The insights from CGMs are amazing but they can be a little overwhelming at first, especially when there are some technical glitches. Adding that to the stress of being diagnosed with diabetes can, understandably be too much.
Taking a CGM break is not a failure. It is another way of managing your condition which may suit you more at the moment.
I have been taking the occasional break. I don’t seem to stress as much!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Already done! A replacement sensor has been shipped! My 3rd replacement! Is there a limit to how many goodwill sensors can be sent?
They aren't really goodwill replacements. If the sensor is faulty it's faulty. I had a lot of failures when I first changed to G7 from G6 and just fill in their form when it happens now. The only annoying thing (for me) is that they often ask me to return the sensor in a prepaid envelope but because I live in a rural area (where the couriers don't deliver) I have to drop the failed sensor off at the courier depot, in business hours, and this is a lot less convenient than a post office or box.

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
I am talking about you not me.
I was diagnosed 20 years ago and been using a CGM for over 5 years so have got used to their foibles.
Oh sorry I read that as “You” were thinking of taking a break from not wearing a sensor for a week or more.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With Dexcom sensors you can install them on your abdomen as well as the back of the arm …

The Dexcom One+ (which I have) has a built in transmitter like the G7 and has a warm up time of only 30 minutes. It is a lot smaller than the Dexcom One.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neckarski_94

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
With Dexcom sensors you can install them on your abdomen as well as the back of the arm …

The Dexcom One+ (which I have) has a built in transmitter like the G7 and has a warm up time of only 30 minutes. It is a lot smaller than the Dexcom One.
I don’t really want to place my sensors on my Abdomen as that is were I inject my insulin!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
  • Useful
Reactions: EllieM

Phaid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I've been a guardian 3 sensor and now 4 for about 5 years now. And I find it's a lot better to change them in the morning. That way when it does go wrong it's not waking you up at silly o'clock.

Reactions: EllieM