Type 2 Didn't feel hungry...

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm.newly diagnosed as T2, but not on meds. Doc is just seeing how I got before another HB1A7 test early may.

So, I've been following LCHF for a month and going well (over a stone and a half off so far). My goal for the next 2 months is to lost a ton of weight. I've got loads to lose around belly.

Anyway, usual worries ie, am I fat adapted? Am I in ketosis? If I eat too much protein, will I ruin and fat adapted/ketosis I may have achieved?

However, yesterday, I managed to get to 9.30PM on only.....2 boiled eggs and I was not hungry at all. Not a thought of food and no rumbling either. Is that a good sign?

I do have a Careens Dual, but I need to read it all properly before doing any tests as I don't really know what I'm testing and what to look for. Ie, fasting BG test, or after a meal?

If I inadvertently eat too much protein, is it back to square one, or just a temporary set back?

Just a general off load, as you can see, so any comments ta welcome.

Thanks

Kam

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I wouldn't worry too much about protein, ketosis or fat adaptation at this stage.
Start testing and you will see which foods your bg likes and which you should cut down or cut out.
Take a fasting reading on waking. Take a reading before the first bite of food then two hours later. The difference between the pre meal and post meal readings should be no more than 2mmol preferably lower than that. Keep a diary of what you have eaten and the corresponding readings so you can build up a picture of what is happening.

Great work on your weight loss but slow and steady wins the race. Two eggs is imo means a lack of food which in turn can actually slow your metabolism and may lead to a stall in weight loss. Fill up on above ground veggies and fats.

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this. I am easily limiting my carbs to under 30g each day. Luckily, I don't find that hard.

Also, don't get me wrong, yesterday was just the result of a busy day. Normally, im enjoying my food and eating as much as I need. I've never eaten as much salad in my life as I've stated eating each day, loving it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks for this. I am easily limiting my carbs to under 30g each day. Luckily, I don't find that hard.

Also, don't get me wrong, yesterday was just the result of a busy day. Normally, im enjoying my food and eating as much as I need. I've never eaten as much salad in my life as I've stated eating each day, loving it.

Well done! If you test you may find that even more of an incentive to carry on. There are loads of hidden carbs, pesky little blighters that they are, in lots of seemingly inocuous foods.

Here is a handy guide for those wishing to find out more.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/20-50-how-much

Reactions: kamsamji

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm.newly diagnosed as T2, but not on meds. Doc is just seeing how I got before another HB1A7 test early may.

So, I've been following LCHF for a month and going well (over a stone and a half off so far). My goal for the next 2 months is to lost a ton of weight. I've got loads to lose around belly.

Anyway, usual worries ie, am I fat adapted? Am I in ketosis? If I eat too much protein, will I ruin and fat adapted/ketosis I may have achieved?

However, yesterday, I managed to get to 9.30PM on only.....2 boiled eggs and I was not hungry at all. Not a thought of food and no rumbling either. Is that a good sign?

I do have a Careens Dual, but I need to read it all properly before doing any tests as I don't really know what I'm testing and what to look for. Ie, fasting BG test, or after a meal?

If I inadvertently eat too much protein, is it back to square one, or just a temporary set back?

Thanks

Kam
Hi as you’ve got a caresens dual you should have ketone testing strips or you could buy some. They are a bit pricy but I tend to use about one a week just to see how I’m going. That should reassure you too about the protein. I hav3nt found protein an issue in terms of putting me out of ketosis.its the carb control that’s important keeping under 30g of carb. I usually eat less than 20 and never more th@n 30 and have been steadily in ketosis now for about five months. I go up and down a bit and sometimes a bit high but hav3n5 yet gone out of ketosis. Good luck sure you’ll get there just focus on carb count rest will follow.

Reactions: kamsamji

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I always thought ketosis was a cliff edge, but I beginning to realise it's a gradual in and out. Very reassuring. I'll stick to what I'm doing. I'm religiously tracking every thing I eat, so all is good.

Reactions: Guzzler

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi as you’ve got a caresens dual you should have ketone testing strips or you could buy some. They are a bit pricy but I tend to use about one a week just to see how I’m going. That should reassure you too about the protein. I hav3nt found protein an issue in terms of putting me out of ketosis.its the carb control that’s important keeping under 30g of carb. I usually eat less than 20 and never more th@n 30 and have been steadily in ketosis now for about five months. I go up and down a bit and sometimes a bit high but hav3n5 yet gone out of ketosis. Good luck sure you’ll get there just focus on carb count rest will follow.
I did buy the keto sticks, but i didn't want to start using them until I ask around on here so I know what I'm testing, why and how. Having only got the machine yesterday, I was tempted to test my BG though. 2 hours after eating fish, cauliflower rice and broccoli rice, my reading was 4.9. I feel that is an ok reading?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

Thanks

Kam
Magic weight loss. I've got T1 and I only eat when my stomach growls.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did buy the keto sticks, but i didn't want to start using them until I ask around on here so I know what I'm testing, why and how. Having only got the machine yesterday, I was tempted to test my BG though. 2 hours after eating fish, cauliflower rice and broccoli rice, my reading was 4.9. I feel that is an ok reading?
Its excellent well done

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps I test on waking, just before my main meal and 2 hours after. Important thing is to look at difference between the two readings which should never be more than a difference of 2 above the pre dinner. I find now most of my Post meal readings are usually 0.5 greater than pre meal. But with a Post meal in the fours that’s excellent.
Re ketone testing its best to test mid afternoon - you are aiming for ketones ideally between 1.5 to 3 to be in optimal ketosis. I average at 2 but do go up if don’t eat much now I’m thin. So for example left it late to eat yesterday and went up to 4.9 ketones which isn’t so good and can push your sugars up a bit. Getting balance right is important. Dietdoctor.com site has loads of information about optimal ketosis. Good luck.

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I just did a pre dinner test at 8pm. The last time image anything was at 12 (midday). So, BG was 4.2, and ketone was 0.6. Im just getting my head around the numbers, so not overly concerned, but was hoping the Ketones were higher. My carbs are never more than 30g religiously. Any comments guys?

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps, I will test BG again at 10pm as I've just eaten some eggs.

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, my 10pm BG reading was 4.9. I ate a 3 egg omelette with cheese cooked in coconut oil at 8pm.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I just did a pre dinner test at 8pm. The last time image anything was at 12 (midday). So, BG was 4.2, and ketone was 0.6. Im just getting my head around the numbers, so not overly concerned, but was hoping the Ketones were higher. My carbs are never more than 30g religiously. Any comments guys?
ketones of 0.6 means you are comfortably in ketosis (anywhere from 0.5 up) and your blood sugar is excellent. Well done you are getting exactly the results you want.

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this reassurance. Just out of curiosity, what would the Ketone level be, for example for someone not following LCHF, or my own levels before I started 5 weeks ago? Would they be 0?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this reassurance. Just out of curiosity, what would the Ketone level be, for example for someone not following LCHF, or my own levels before I started 5 weeks ago? Would they be 0?
Yes probably if they were a carb eater.I have never tested anyone for ketones apart from myself as the strips are too **** expensive to waste.. One day I'll stab hubby while he isn't looking and try him out.

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, a bit of an update and advice really please. Been doing low/no carbs since start of feb. Lost 2.5 stone. Not touched any obvious carbs in that time, but maybe eaten more meat than I should, but I'm getting better. Have limited carbs to less than 20g. Last night I at a 3 egg omelette with cheese and (for the first time since Feb) had some fruit...a thin slice of mango with the skin. 2 hours later, I measured and BG was 6.4 and ketones were 0.3. Again, not overly worried as weight loss is my short term goal, but would prefer higher ketones. Any help would be appreciated please.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, a bit of an update and advice really please. Been doing low/no carbs since start of feb. Lost 2.5 stone. Not touched any obvious carbs in that time, but maybe eaten more meat than I should, but I'm getting better. Have limited carbs to less than 20g. Last night I at a 3 egg omelette with cheese and (for the first time since Feb) had some fruit...a thin slice of mango with the skin. 2 hours later, I measured and BG was 6.4 and ketones were 0.3. Again, not overly worried as weight loss is my short term goal, but would prefer higher ketones. Any help would be appreciated please.
Well the carbs in the fruit won't have helped but you managed to remain in ketosis just.. I think your bloods have been in the 4's while eating keto right? so obviously the spike to 6.4 is indicative that mango is not a great idea!
Edit to add I have never found meat a problem and haven't limited my protein intake.

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange, it was just a thin slice! Would have thought within 2 hours that would have been sorted. Haven't been testing that regularly as I didn't want to get hung up with numbers, but I would like the ketosis to go up. What else can I do as I don't think I can improve the diet much more. I'm loving what I'm eating and have never eaten as much salad ever in my life. The only other thing is exercise. My knee has meant that since I've started, I've not been able to do any activity, so will try and incorporate some.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange, it was just a thin slice! Would have thought within 2 hours that would have been sorted. Haven't been testing that regularly as I didn't want to get hung up with numbers, but I would like the ketosis to go up. What else can I do as I don't think I can improve the diet much more. I'm loving what I'm eating and have never eaten as much salad ever in my life. The only other thing is exercise. My knee has meant that since I've started, I've not been able to do any activity, so will try and incorporate some.
You also have to remember that if you haven't been eating carb very much then a sweet shock like mango may well cause an overreaction by your body.