Diet advice needed - newbie

chuckles1066

Hello all,

Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I am a 54 year old male, 11st 4lbs and exercise 7 days a week.

However, I try to eat healthily but my dietary routine is rubbish.........I have a protein drink after my workout in the morning (8a.m) and then don't eat again until approximately 7.30p.m. So 400 calories in the morning and then 1500 calories before going to bed.

Rubbish technique, eh?

Recently, I've developed the hands shaking. I had a check for diabetes at Asda (they were doing them free) and the girl said my blood sugars were low and that I shouldn't be effectively starving myself for 11 hours a day.

So I intend trying to nibble regularly during the day.

Someone help me.......my initial plan is a banana at lunchtime straddled by a couple of Soreen Malt Loaf Bars (bite size) either side.

I'll happily take any pointers from those of you who know more about keeping blood sugars constant throughout the day (rather than my current regime of spiking them).

Don't be scared to tell me what I'm planning is feeble, I'm from a generation where it takes a lot more than an aggressive post on an internet forum to mentally scar me :)

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First thing is what was your blood sugar reading?
Second are you really going to take health advice from someone working at Asda?

Reactions: chuckles1066

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Have you been diagnosed with Diabetes by your GP? Non Diabetics can have 'low' blood glucose and the lass at ASDA should have recommended a visit to your GP with a possible view to investigate. If it was (and I am sure it was) a finger prick test taken at random then it is pretty useless unless it was very low or very high. I agree with @bulkbiker do not take dietary advice from from someone whose only skills may be that she can take a bg reading and work the till.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Make an appointment with your GP and discuss your symptoms and lifestyle and ask for a proper blood test - not just a finger prick test. All the finger prick test indicates is your blood glucose at one moment in time and it can vary considerably depending on what you've eaten and how long since you last ate.. A proper HbA1c test will show your average over the previous several weeks.
Your diet as you say does appear to be 'rubbish' and very unbalanced both in carbohydrate intake and probably in protein and fat too.
A full blood and urine test will screen for a range of things and once you've had this done and your GP has the results you'll be given advice on how to move forward.

chuckles1066

First thing is what was your blood sugar reading?
Second are you really going to take health advice from someone working at Asda?

It was 4.7 (which will mean more to you than me).

In fairness, I'd assume the shop workers doing the test have had some basic training in how to interpret a reading vs what the donor tells them about their diet.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

chuckles1066

Have you been diagnosed with Diabetes by your GP? Non Diabetics can have 'low' blood glucose and the lass at ASDA should have recommended a visit to your GP with a possible view to investigate. If it was (and I am sure it was) a finger prick test taken at random then it is pretty useless unless it was very low or very high. I agree with @bulkbiker do not take dietary advice from from someone whose only skills may be that she can take a bg reading and work the till.

Thanks for the response.

I had one-off boils on my thighs a few years ago and my GP asked me if I was diabetic.......I said no so he prescribed me with antibiotics and told me if they didn't work then he'd do tests for diabetes.

The boils went away so it didn't go any further.

And, yes, it was a finger prick test.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In fairness, I'd assume the shop workers doing the test have had some basic training in how to interpret a reading vs what the donor tells them about their diet.

4.7 is completely normal.
To have diabetes you would have to have high blood sugar. - hyperglycemia which you don't.
Please don't use Asda for health checks...try a doctor maybe? Just a suggestion (although I do hold them in fairly low esteem) I think they know a bit more than someone in a supermarket.

chuckles1066

Make an appointment with your GP and discuss your symptoms and lifestyle and ask for a proper blood test - not just a finger prick test. All the finger prick test indicates is your blood glucose at one moment in time and it can vary considerably depending on what you've eaten and how long since you last ate.. A proper HbA1c test will show your average over the previous several weeks.
Your diet as you say does appear to be 'rubbish' and very unbalanced both in carbohydrate intake and probably in protein and fat too.
A full blood and urine test will screen for a range of things and once you've had this done and your GP has the results you'll be given advice on how to move forward.

Thank you for your thoughts, I have an appointment in the New Year for something unrelated so will raise it then.

Any opinions on the banana / malt loaf snacks during the day? Has to be better than my current regime, right?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the response.

I had one-off boils on my thighs a few years ago and my GP asked me if I was diabetic.......I said no so he prescribed me with antibiotics and told me if they didn't work then he'd do tests for diabetes.

The boils went away so it didn't go any further.

And, yes, it was a finger prick test.
I got the same thing (boils) which my GP said that in my case were caused by stress but this was decades ago before I was T2D. Have a look around this forum for some of the symptoms of T2 and if you are still worried then see your GP, s/he may be able to aleviate your concerns. Really, one finger prick test of a 'low' reading tells you nothing either way. Good luck.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bananas and malt loaf are high carb but are acceptable within a good mixed diet. I would not have chosen to eat them every day even before I was diagnosed as T2 but for non Diabetics showing normal blood glucose results they are ok ish. If you would like my personal opinion then I would suggest a lower carb snack but this is just opinion not advice. Something like pork scratchings or chorizo or berries would be my choice.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Bananas and malt loaf are high carb but are acceptable within a good mixed diet. I would not have chosen to eat them every day even before I was diagnosed as T2 but for non Diabetics showing normal blood glucose results they are ok ish. If you would like my personal opinion then I would suggest a lower carb snack but this is just opinion not advice. Something like pork scratchings or chorizo or berries would be my choice.

No one here has suggested nuts. I use them all the time. Walnuts Brazil's and almonds are my choice as they are fairly low in carbs and packed with omega 3 and of course fibre. They are my go to snack and often a meal substitute. I used to buy them on line but find lidyl ( is that how it's spelt?) sell 250 gram bags for £2-3 ... Not cheap but worth every penny...I also go for boiled eggs / salami sticks if I'm away from home. Hope this helps. Oh yea hope yr drinking plenty of water - stay well ...

Reactions: Guzzler

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Pork scratchings?

Love it but what about raising cholesterol level?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Pork scratchings?

Love it but what about raising cholesterol level?

Cholesterol is only a problem if you are worried about it, I am not. Perhaps view Ivor Cummins' lectures on youtube, one titled 'The Cholesterol Conundrum' is an eye opener. Prof. Ken Sikaris also has lectures about it on youtube.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cholesterol is only a problem if you are worried about it, I am not. Perhaps view Ivor Cummins' lectures on youtube, one titled 'The Cholesterol Conundrum' is an eye opener. Prof. Ken Sikaris also has lectures about it on youtube.

Love pork scratchings but I was advised by my GP to avoid it as I have high cholesterol levels at present unfortunately!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Love pork scratchings but I was advised by my GP to avoid it as I have high cholesterol levels at present unfortunately!

I know the cholesterol question is controversial but I would advise that you study up on it. I am not trying to influence you, just pointing you in a direction that gives you knowledge that perhaps you (and very possibly your GP) are unaware of. If you prefer books then Malcolm Kendrick has a great one called 'The Great Cholesterol Con'.
My last TC level was through the roof but this was because I had had a drastic weight loss (in terms of time not in volume) and the change in diet. These things alone can skew levels but even if the levels are high at my next review I shall ignore it as I have learned enough about the disinformation and hype surrounding the whole sorry mess. Read up, you will be amazed.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know the cholesterol question is controversial but I would advise that you study up on it. I am not trying to influence you, just pointing you in a direction that gives you knowledge that perhaps you (and very possibly your GP) are unaware of. If you prefer books then Malcolm Kendrick has a great one called 'The Great Cholesterol Con'.
My last TC level was through the roof but this was because I had had a drastic weight loss (in terms of time not in volume) and the change in diet. These things alone can skew levels but even if the levels are high at my next review I shall ignore it as I have learned enough about the disinformation and hype surrounding the whole sorry mess. Read up, you will be amazed.

Thank you!

Mark_1

4.7 is perfect not a problem at all and it would depend on when and what you last ate so it means nothing. I don’t think eating twice a day is an issue either, fasting can be good for you, look it up. I would make an appointment to see the doctor about the shakes. A variety of foods would be a better option than the same thing every day for a snack if that’s what you want to do.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

A friend of mine supplies pork scratchings in the Philippines. Fresh, crunchy and very fatty!

It was absolutely delicious!

Reactions: Guzzler

JonM1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A friend of mine supplies pork scratchings in the Philippines. Fresh, crunchy and very fatty!

It was absolutely delicious!

I've used them as a maybe fortnightly treat over my first four months with type 2.

Homemade ones are best if you have the time. Recipe: https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/homemade-chicharrones-pork-rinds-low-carb-and-gluten-free/

Over this time my cholesterol is down, weight is down 17kg and HbA1c down from 85 to 40. So in moderation within a balanced low carb diet they seem ok for me.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)