Diet Coke - or not

Marzeater

We went out last night to celebrate my daughters 18th birthday.
I was trying to be good, no bread rolls, steak & salad, no chips, no desert and the only thing I had to drink was the post mix diet coke.

Anyway my bg this morning was 12.8 so I left breakfast and 6 hours on after a 2.5 mile walk I'm down to 4.8.

Diet coke? I don't think so. :roll:
In future unless I see it poured from the bottle, I'm not having it.

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Ouch!

Yeah, I think there's a general consensus on here that getting the mixed stuff is always a gamble. If possible, stick to bottles. At least you're back down again now though!

sandymaynard

Hi Marzeater
Thing is you need to watch for, something that says diet is not always diet! I check the label!
I drink pepsi max no carbs,no sugar! I find makes no difference to blood sugar!
I found drinking diet coke, my blood sugar went through the roof!
Sandy

Spiral

Not, I think :?

It is a job to know what do drink these days. I rarely drink and never when I'm driving. My drink of choice used to be grapefruit juice and soda when I was out. Don't do juice now, I'm not keen on fizzy water and I object to the price paid for a glass of bottled water (and all soft drinks for that matter. Can someone tell me why non-alcoholic drinks are often at least as expensive as booze? I often had a cup of tea or coffee when I'm in a bar.

I went out on Friday and I saw my diet coke being poured at the bar. Then we ordered drinks for the interval and I felt like I was taking my life in my hands with that one! Fortunately, they did get it right in my case, it was diet coke.

When I'm eating out I usually ask for a glass (well, jug actually, I drink al otof water) of tap water. I am rarely dissapointed. Although last summer (pre-diagnosis) I went out for a Sunday lunch with the family in the North East (The Causey Arch, just outside Stanley, Co Durham). We were charged 50p for each glass of tap water I had :shock: :shock: :shock: My mother was outraged. She didn't leave a tip when she paid and made it quite clear that she thought it was outrageous and that was why.

These days I tend to drink diet coke when I'm out. But it does feel like you are taking a big leap of faith. I think I read somewhere on here that some people have tested drinks with those dipsticks you can get to test urine before drinking. I am thinking of getting some.

Vikingepigen

I drink diet coke and it has absolutely no influence on my BGs at all. I have one can every day in the evening, not with dinner but around 10pm (I rarely go to sleep before midnight) and to no ill effect at all. As per usual, not one hat to fit all - trial and error all the way.

And may I just make EVERYONE aware of one thing ................ If you are going out for a meal and the restaurant/bar/pub have a (alcohol) licence, they ARE NOT ALLOWED to charge you for tap water!! It is the law and they cannot repute that - if they try the old trick of charging for the use of the glass and washing up - ask for a disposal cup - they are not allowed to charge you! It is the law which has been confirmed by court cases, just try and google it.

Alice

inwales

I find diet sodas way too sweet now, thought I would give my tummy a rest from it.

I wonder what coke tastes without any sweetner or sugar?

Spiral

Vikingepigen said:
And may I just make EVERYONE aware of one thing ................ If you are going out for a meal and the restaurant/bar/pub have a (alcohol) licence, they ARE NOT ALLOWED to charge you for tap water!! It is the law and they cannot repute that - if they try the old trick of charging for the use of the glass and washing up - ask for a disposal cup - they are not allowed to charge you! It is the law which has been confirmed by court cases, just try and google it.

I know this, and did point it out to my mother, who was paying the bill. However, she is of a generation that pays bills without question :? I would have argued this, but she gets very embarrassed about things like that. She made her point by explaining to the staff on the till why she was not leaving a tip - which I very much doubt would have reached the powers that be in that pub :? :(

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
red said:
what is mixed diet coke?

I assume they are referring to the draught coke served in most pubs nowadays were there is regular coke and diet coke being served from the same dispenser/gun.
If you ask for a diet coke after someone has just been served with a regular coke there will still be a small amount of regular coke laying in the gun and given the amount of sugar in coke that amount would be certain to raise your BG levels especially if you have 3 or 4 over the course of an evening.

It is always best to order a bottled or canned diet or zero soft drink if available, that way you know there is no contamination.

Given that most people have no idea about the consequences of being diabetic it is no wonder that pub staff are not clued up on this, if the gun was purged prior to serving a diet drink there would not be a problem but that would be considered wasteful by brewery management, probably a sacking offence. :roll: