Diet control

faisalayaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I have diagnosed with type 2 5 months ago.
I have not use any medicine. My glucose level in morning is 111-125mg/dl
I have a question with all experts. my glucose level after 2 hr eating 80 g carbs goes to 221mg/dl and after 3 hrs eating 140-170 mg/ dl.
Did this range harmful for me.
Did I need medication or just proper dieting?

Please help me I am worried.

Sent from my QMobile A10 Noir using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi there @faisalayaz ,

This page will give you a guide as to where your blood glucose levels should be......
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Your morning levels are not too bad and I think would be classed as pre-diabetic, however you are shooting up pretty high after meals. Some people can manage their diabetes by diet but only a doctor can confirm whether that is a suitable approach for YOU.

Reducing your carb intake will probably be beneficial, (80g is more than some forum members eat in a day), and of course you will see smaller glucose spikes after eating.

So please do seek professional advice about medication. What were you told when you were given your diagnosis?

Reactions: 7 people

faisalayaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not use any medication and not go to any doctor. but I am daily analyzing my glucose level.
Mostly I eat oat meals that is why I got control on my glucose level. If I eat oatmeal then my glucose level after 2 hr eat goes 140-150 mg/dl.
and yesterday at evening my glucose level was 116 mg/dl

That is why I ask is this safe if I got control with just diet?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Raised glucose levels over protracted periods I would never class as "safe". As over time they can lead to complications as I have found out.

It is best to try and keep your levels in or as near to normal levels as possible.

It is possible to do this by diet alone but some times or in fact often medications are required.This you will need to discuss with your doctor. Also you will need to have regular eye scans this is best arranged through your doctors surgery

Best of luck John.

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not use any medication and not go to any doctor. but I am daily analyzing my glucose level.
Mostly I eat oat meals that is why I got control on my glucose level. If I eat oatmeal then my glucose level after 2 hr eat goes 140-150 mg/dl.
and yesterday at evening my glucose level was 116 mg/dl

That is why I ask is this safe if I got control with just diet?

As this is a UK website most members use the UK measurement units.
The conversion chart is here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

116mg/dl is 6.4mmol/l
140mg/dl is 7.8mmol/
150mg/dl is 8.3mmol//

Those levels aren't drastic but could be better and it may be your oat meals that are causing the problems, as would most carbohydrates. It is quite possible to lower your levels by diet only without medication, but it all depends on your diet of course.

Is there a reason you haven't seen a doctor?

Reactions: 3 people

faisalayaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not seen doctor because they just give metformin to all diabetic patients.
And found metformin has lot of side affects and other diabetes medicines also have lot of side affects

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not everyone suffers from the side effects of Metformin. Many people have taken it for years without issues. It is a good safe drug. Some people do suffer with tummy problems at first, but this usually disappears after a couple of weeks. There is a slow release version that is kinder to the tummy. However, it is up to you. I advise you to see a doctor so you can receive the proper diabetes care such as regular HbA1c tests, other essential blood tests, foot care and retinal eye screening. . If he gives you Metformin you don't have to take it. The decision is yours, not your doctor's.

Reactions: 3 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have not seen doctor because they just give metformin to all diabetic patients.
And found metformin has lot of side affects and other diabetes medicines also have lot of side affects

You need to see your doctor.
They have a lifetime of experience, and they will give you the tools you need to bring your BG down.
After that breathing space, you can decide what suits you, but initially, seek qualified advice.
I started on meds, but reduced them with the agreement of my HCP, after I regained control, and got my BG down to non diabetic levels.

faisalayaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you feel that you are not getting the care that you deserve @faisalayaz, you could send an email to this address and ask for more help.
http://www.idf.org/membership/mena/pakistan/diabetic-association-of-pakistan
According to my research 150 mg/ dl is not dangerous after 2 hr easting.
In 1979 diabetes normal value was 200 according to USA medical association. These values changed with time because this is also a big business for medical authorities.
Why medical professionals not tell that these medicine also cause pancreatic cancer ?

Along with diet control, there is a way to control diabetes which is Medication-Free Diabetes Management
Regulating diabetes doesn’t always require insulin. There are alternatives that you can speak with your Qualified Healthcare Provider about to decide if an alternative treatment is the right option for you. As a reminder, never adjust or modify current control regimens without supervision of a Qualified Provider.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Diabetes
Medication-Free Diabetes Management

Regulating diabetes doesn’t always require insulin. There are alternatives that you can speak with your Qualified Healthcare Provider about to decide if an alternative treatment is the right option for you. As a reminder, never adjust or modify current control regimens without supervision of a Qualified Provider.

http://premiermedgroup.org/services/diabetes/

I have provided" the Quotation" . and the link that you obviously forgot about @diabetic_volunteers

Regards John

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes just seems like someone else trying to sell snake oil.

add19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I have diagnosed with type 2 5 months ago.
I have not use any medicine. My glucose level in morning is 111-125mg/dl
I have a question with all experts. my glucose level after 2 hr eating 80 g carbs goes to 221mg/dl and after 3 hrs eating 140-170 mg/ dl.
Did this range harmful for me.
Did I need medication or just proper dieting?

Please help me I am worried.

I barely eat 30g of carbs(lunch, dinner). 80 is a lot