Diet controlled type2 - Finally had to go to Metformin (not good.......)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

With the carbs, i would say that really, there are no rules. Everyone can cope with different amounts. I have issues with grains (best described as food intolerance, i think) where my bg shoots silly high with small amounts. So those are out. I also avoid root veg and all fruit except berries.

Better than answering what i do to stay under 50g carbs, have a look at this thread. It shows lots of us running at the lower end of low carb, and our daily diets.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-99#post-945311

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sweet pots not potatoes, brown basmati rice instead of white rice, whole wheat pasta.
o ..all of the above .. sweet pots, potatoes, brown basmati rice, whole wheat pasta, all would have greatly increase my BS .. i was on 30g of carbs a day and in 18 months have got my bs under control to the point that I can eat these again, in small amounts..
Lots of food advice in the forums here on LCHF way of eating

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High blood glucose is a symptom of diabetes. Lowering blood glucose by diet and exercise or by drugs, or both, does not in any way improve diabetes, unless it also lowers insulin and improves sensitivity to it.

Bread, cereals, rice, pasta, porridge, pork pies,root vegetables and ready meals aren't LCHF real food by the definitions given on dietdoctor.com

I'm on Metformin SR and had horrible digestive issues with standard Metformin, which kept me up all night with both ends for weeks. My husband had to intervene to get the GP to prescribe SR because I couldn't leave the house. SR is very much better.

Metformin has been around for many years. It replaces broken signalling between liver and pancreas and has been proven to be heart and cancer protective thousands of patients. It's also an appetite suppressant and reduces liver dumps of glycogen. You shouldn't put on weight and unless you exercise really hard, should never get hypos either.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
################
Interesting what people think is low/high carbs, I have never really had much guidance in all the years. The dietician I first saw was not much use, generalisms of what not to have & what is better. If I had followed their advice I would have had fruit juice & toast for breakfast and all sorts. It was only doing regular testing that I found what hit me & was OK. Our key guide has been 4% sugar a max and sort of no more than third carb. I would be interested what you do to keep as low as 50g carb a day. Main thing has been lower GI choices, sweet pots not potatoes, brown basmati rice instead of white rice, whole wheat pasta.

Most of us on here ignore the "of which sugars" element of the nutritional data. It is "total carbohydrate" that is important. Sugar is just another carb and is included in the total. The only reason to know how much sugar the food contains is to determine at which point your blood glucose will spike. The more sugar, the faster the spike is the general rule. All the carb content will spike you at some point after the meal. It is best to stick to no more than 5% carb if it is a ready meal, or you are eating a lot of it. You can go higher if you are only going to eat a small amount such as with condiments. A third carb is too much, that is 33%.

It's fine choosing low GI foods, but these should be eaten in quite small portions along with very low carb foods and fats. Otherwise, eating large portions, or even normal portions, you will still get raised levels.

I think you need to start testing your meals again, before eating, then 1 and 2 hours after first bite, and keep going until you are back where you started.