Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I'm a T1D and i really want to try this low carb challenge, is this advisable for a T1D like me also should i take a meal shot or i still need to take and just decrease the dosage of my meal shot

Hi, do you carb count, and are you confident adjusting your insulin to match your new, lower carb intake? (Are you on fixed doses of insulin, or do you adjust it for each meal?)

If you aren't confident about carb counting, then you will need some help adjusting insulin, whether it is from your healthcare team, or other experienced insulin users.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not much difference to yesterday despite my Sunday meal with booze. Bed 6.8 FBG 6.7 and pre breakfast was 7.3 although it was on the turn again. Is the answer to DP Prosecco and Lindt 90%? Wouldn't that be good.

Reactions: Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Mine is all over the place and I'm not sure why. Today FBG was 5.3 then up to 6.8 pre-breakfast, two hours after breakfast it was down to 5.7. I've decided not to worry about it and especially not to do that pre-breakfast test anymore. I'm trying to work out why my BG is always better on weekends.

I've got some Lidl 81% in the freezer so (If I remember) I'll experiment with that in Thursday (which is the next day I'll be eating breakfast).

I'm going to do a two days together 5:2 fast this week. No breakfast or lunch then having a 400-500 calorie low carb meal at dinner..... I might make a big pan of chicken and veg soup....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@maglil55 I won't be getting my chocolate delivery until Friday but I do have a freezer full of other types of choc. How much does your two squares of Lindt weigh? :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know this one! I know this one! (she says, bouncing in her chair with her hand in the air, waving at Teacher)

One bar of lindt 70% weighs 100 g and is 10 squares, so each square is 10g (and 3.4g of carbs of which 2.9 g is sugars)
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=259301725

Okay, okay Brunneria.... you can stop bouncing in your chair now - and stop waving that hand, its distracting! ;)

Thanks for that, so I need to weigh 20g to take to bed with me on Wednesday night. I shall go and check my wrapper against your figures.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Are any of your husbands/partners/significant others losing weight while you're on a low carb way of eating? I'm getting a bit concerned about Mr C who has gone down from a 36 inch waist trousers being too tight to 34 inch waist trousers being too big. He says he's not worried but I notice he has stopped telling me how much he weighs. I make sure he's got cheeses, nuts and fresh fruit always available and he does eat the occasional Nakd or Frusli bar but not every day. I'm not sure what to do (if anything). Any ideas??

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could lose mine behind a lamp post at the best of times. He's lost a couple of lbs ... very annoying as I've only lost about 5 lb in the same time

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never got around to making the oopsie bread as had to shout at the firm 'repairing' my son's computer.

After having it for four weeks to fix a 'not turning on' problem they are now saying it was damaged in transit and my son needs to make an insurance claim. I rang them as requested to find out the claim procedure.

They then promptly asked us to lie on the insurance and say he had tripped over a cable and damaged it! They soon changed their tune when I told them what I do for a living!

Thankfully the insurers seem above board.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Mr B has lost an astonishing amount of weight since he stopped 'supplementing' his 3 DD meals a day with extra carbage.

I (on one to two DD meals a day and the odd 70% snackette) have not lost.

I'm not jealous
Honest I'm not
Nope.
Not at all

:mad:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Same here. :( Mr C certainly doesn't need to lose any more, he's at the perfect BMI right now. I'm getting people commenting on his weight loss but he insists he doesn't want to go back to eating a carby diet because he feels healthier on low carb.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me calories are pretty irrelevant - I am sure that I must eat about 2000 some days - the ones with the roast chickens in them, but after decades of low carbing I have no fear of fats - people almost faint when I put double cream into my shopping trolley - lots of it. I eat it with berries and put it in my coffee, but I can't eat grain, most legumes and most fruits. I do have lots of energy when low carbing.

I resemble the cream remark! I buy 4 - 6 large cartons at a time and very regularly, even more when the grandchildren come to stay. I've been around 20 - 30 g of carb a day for around 10 years now.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay, okay Brunneria.... you can stop bouncing in your chair now - and stop waving that hand, its distracting! ;)

Thanks for that, so I need to weigh 20g to take to bed with me on Wednesday night. I shall go and check my wrapper against your figures.
The 90% is also 100g and 10 squares but
Calories 592 ( 59.2 per square)
Carbs 14g (1.4 per s)
Fat 55g (5.5 per s)
Sat fat 30g (3g per s)
Sugar 7g (0.7 per s)
Protein 10g (1g per s)

I love a chocolate that makes logging the info easy.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Slight accident! As I was checking the wrapper of the Lidl choc I've had in my freezer it accidentally fell in to my mouth (the choc, not the wrapper). Oops. First experiment will be on Saturday morning after my Asda delivery on Friday.

I don't know how much the choc that fell in to my mouth weighed (about two squares) but my BG 2 hours after lunch was 6.8 and before dinner it was 4.7 - the choc incident happened about half way in between. Luckily it didn't put me off my dinner phew!

I really thought I had more in the freezer than that. :(

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Slight accident! As I was checking the wrapper of the Lidl choc I've had in my freezer it accidentally fell in to my mouth (the choc, not the wrapper). Oops. First experiment will be on Saturday morning after my Asda delivery on Friday.

I don't know how much the choc that fell in to my mouth weighed (about two squares) but my BG 2 hours after lunch was 6.8 and before dinner it was 4.7 - the choc incident happened about half way in between. Luckily it didn't put me off my dinner phew!

I really thought I had more in the freezer than that. :(
See....chocolate reduced BG

Reactions: Books1 and Ultramum

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I resemble the cream remark! I buy 4 - 6 large cartons at a time and very regularly, even more when the grandchildren come to stay. I've been around 20 - 30 g of carb a day for around 10 years now.
Yes I can relate to the cream too. I usually get 4 cartons and even more when I need whipping cream for the Diet Doctor recipes.

Reactions: Ultramum and Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Much the same today 6.2 bed FBG 6.7 and pre breakfast 7.1 and breakfast became brunch as I had a bit of running about to do (and still do in 30 mins)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@maglil55 - You're doing really well just recently. Its not so long ago that you thought you'd never see these kinds of numbers. Congratulations. :)

I'm fasting today and tomorrow - except I'm going to have some soup at dinner time but only around 300 calories, very similar to the Michael Mosley Fast Diet except I'm doing the fasting days one after another.

My FBG this morning was 6.3 - that was at 8am - by 9am it was 6.8 and at 10am it was 7.1. I've been too busy (and worried) to test since.

Despite my BG going up I do always feel good on a fasting day - and I have no idea why. In the years between my being diagnosed and starting low carbing I know I couldn't have fasted because food would have been constantly on my mind but not in a good way. The only thing that has changed is cutting out nearly all carbs.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 - You're doing really well just recently. Its not so long ago that you thought you'd never see these kinds of numbers. Congratulations. :)

I'm fasting today and tomorrow - except I'm going to have some soup at dinner time but only around 300 calories, very similar to the Michael Mosley Fast Diet except I'm doing the fasting days one after another.

My FBG this morning was 6.3 - that was at 8am - by 9am it was 6.8 and at 10am it was 7.1. I've been too busy (and worried) to test since.

Despite my BG going up I do always feel good on a fasting day - and I have no idea why. In the years between my being diagnosed and starting low carbing I know I couldn't have fasted because food would have been constantly on my mind but not in a good way. The only thing that has changed is cutting out nearly all carbs.
I'm quite happy with these figures. As you say I thought I was never going to get there. It isn't that long ago as you say that the morning racing around and a breakfast delay would have sent me through the roof. Hubby very kindly boiled me another batch of eggs while I was out so there it a supply in the fridge for a grab and go breakfast again. Just back from gym monkeys so I have 2.5 hours before I pick up no 1 from out of school club.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even better this morning bed 6.2 FBG was 6.4 and pre breakfast 6.8. Back to munching my boiled egg on the go thanks to hubby boiling a load of them yesterday.

Reactions: Chook and Ultramum