Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well - kitchen looks like a bomb site - the pastry was ok but very 'peanut buttery' in consistency. Not sure I fancy making it again to be honest.

I had to yank it out of the oven during its first bake as it had a huge air bubble under it (I've now written on recipe to prick it all over like the fathead pizza base next time)

Wasn't sure that I wasn't going to have a soggy bottom but it came out of the springform tin and off the base in one piece. Wouldn't do it in anything other than a springform tin as the pastry was very crumbly.

Tasted alright but not very 'curry' so would increase the amount of curry powder and add a bit of cumin and coriander as well. The pastry was a bit coconutty so would perhaps swap the coconut flour out for almond flour. I also used half coconut oil and half olive oil so that could be altered too.

Very very filling - could have easily served 6 rather than four.

Taste and eating 8/10
Pastry and faffing 3/10
Filling assembly 9/10
I loath peanut butter so here's one that uses almond flour. The recipe ingredients are for the sweet crust for savory leave out the sweetener and add salt and garlic salt. I also add a teaspoon of physillium husk. It is also easier to work with if you wrap it in greaseproof and chill in the fridge. There are loads of coconut flour recipes but I prefer this one for savory.
There's also one in the 24 best ever Fathead recipes that they use for the chicken pot pie which is nice - it's not pastry but it's nice.

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2016/05/easy-low-carb-press-in-pie-crust.html

Reactions: pms543 and Ultramum

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks - saved them into my recipes folder for the next time ... :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how's it going @pms543 and @Ultramum ?

I've just had a few weeks of alternative eating (lowish carb, with a few more gluten free options), but I am back on DD now, with a fridge bursting with DD menu ingredients.

First stop with be the smoked salmon with cream cheese on courgetti, which is making me salivate as I type! lol.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for asking! Completely fell off and stayed off the wagon - to my horror and shame
So, struggling to jump back on and be consistent

Haha! Worry not! Happens to us all sooner or later. I have lost count of the times I've done it. :)
When i get back on the wagon, I find it easier to de-carb gradually over several days - fewer cravings that way. :D

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for asking! Completely fell off and stayed off the wagon - to my horror and shame
So, struggling to jump back on and be consistent
Yes, I think we've all been there and got the t shirt. Must admit I'm more diligent this time. Lost track of the number of times I've looked at the nutritional information in recent months of things that seem ok only to mutter "bloody hell" and put it back! Diet Doctor really suits me.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I agree with @maglil55 - when I was attempting the Diet Doctor Two Week Challenge I ordered in a huge amount of above ground green vegetables each week.

(Maybe I should have waited to do it until my veg. garden started producing like it is now!)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to have a plate with 25% protein, 75% veg.
Some of the DD menus are photographed to look like little veg, but when they hit the plate, especially with the additional salad I put alongside, there is plenty.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
how's it going @pms543 and @Ultramum ?

I've just had a few weeks of alternative eating (lowish carb, with a few more gluten free options), but I am back on DD now, with a fridge bursting with DD menu ingredients.

First stop with be the smoked salmon with cream cheese on courgetti, which is making me salivate as I type! lol.
Been AWOL due to hectic work schedule and got a new tablet and been struggling to get to grips with it!

Still on track - now lost 12lb in total and had bloods taken for my Hba1c this morning.

Diet doctor chicken curry pie is my latest weekly cook - we're having it without the pepper and double the amount of curry powder - great cold for a picnic/packup.

Just about 6 weeks until we jet off to the Antipodes so fitting in as much work as possible as I only get paid for the days I work!

Sent from my Bush Spira B2 10 tablet using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @maglil55 - when I was attempting the Diet Doctor Two Week Challenge I ordered in a huge amount of above ground green vegetables each week.

(Maybe I should have waited to do it until my veg. garden started producing like it is now!)
Are you still no carbing except on Sunday?

Sent from my Bush Spira B2 10 tablet using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello - welcome back :) No, I didn't like the side effects. How about you? x

Still trying to stick to less than 20 carbs per day - pretty successfully. Not tried too many new recipes recently but sticking to tried and tested.

Managed to survive a visit from parents for a few days without too many untoward comments on my slightly different plate of food (IE stew without the potatoes or carrots but lots of broccoli)

Turned to psyllium husk after discovering that my sugar free "opening medicine" (as my Gran used to delicately term it) for my painkillers' side effects affected my BG.

A little goes a long way!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Well done on the 12lbs!! (I'm jealous :) ):(

I think people don't seem to notice what you eat - only the amount that you eat. Which is okay as long as you don't mind eating loads of broccoli.

Oh yes - a little psyllium husk definitely goes a long way - one teaspoon in a glass of water is usually enough. My husband found that out after eating some Diet Doctor garlic bread rolls - maybe I should have told him in advance that one of the main ingredients was psyllium husk. :rolleyes::angelic:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-garlic-bread

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diet Doctor have made another improvement to the meal plans in the member area. As well as now being able to substitute other recipes as well as remove some AND have the shopping list update, on the revised meal plan for the week you can now see the carbs in each meal so you can manage your carb intake. Still need to print it though. Still can't see a way to save your personalised week.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet Doctor have made another improvement to the meal plans in the member area. As well as now being able to substitute other recipes as well as remove some AND have the shopping list update, on the revised meal plan for the week you can now see the carbs in each meal so you can manage your carb intake. Still need to print it though. Still can't see a way to save your personalised week.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Is it the recipes or the week itself (x on y day, followed by z on a day)? If it is the recipes, have you tried "CopyMeThat"? I luuuuurve CopyMeThat (CMT) as a means to save recipes from all sorts of places in one account, and to be able to tag them for ingredients, way of cooking or whatever.

I'm not on commission for CMT, honestly!