Diet for diabetics

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my main focus has to be on getting shut of some weight.Even just a stone would make a huge difference to my diabetes.Im at least 3 1/2 stones over weight thats an awful lot isnt it.I dunno how i have got that weight cos for a number of years my appetite has dwindled as with anyone else reaching middle age would probably say the same.My dad was the same when he was my age he didnt have his plate piled as high.I can only think that since i gave up work to become a full time carer that has had an impact on my life as i no longer go out 5 mornings per week etc.I think if i was pushing the wheelchair about outside more often than the twice per week that we currently do that id soon loose some weight.I think i need to work out a fitness regime a few exercises every morning maybe a walk round the block sorta thing.

I'd agree that losing weight really helps with diabetes, but I would suggest you need to focus on getting your bloods in order. I think by working what you eat, focusing on your bloods, it is highly likely you will lose weight anyway.

I didn't weigh myself for 3 months after diagnosis, for a number of currently unimportant reasons, but when I did, I couldn't quite believe what the scales read. My weight had just melted away, without even really trying for it. Weighing periodically, and seeing the scales read lower is undoubtedly reqarding, but it isn't your primary goal.

I'd urge you to focus on your bloods.

Reactions: 2 people

Rory lad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@johnboy412000 I was diagnosed in early 2013 and given an opportunity to lose weight and lower my BGLs without medication. HBA1c was 8 and I was 24 kilos overweight.

After trawling the net for information on Type 2 D I decided to try a low carb/high fat diet.

I lost 25kg in 6 months and lowered my HBA1c to 5.6

I tested my BGL religiously to ascertain which foods I could eat and those that needed to be avoided.

It's now 18 months since diagnosis and my weight has remained steady and my last HBA1c was 4.4

I now eat mainly fresh, unprocessed foods and have never felt better. I have been able to discontinue long standing meds for GERD and osteo-arthritis.

Now, I agree that a LC/HF may not be the answer for everyone but my purpose in writing is to illustrate that we can and should, take charge of our health.

Yes, we have to take a long hard look at our lifestyle but with diligence about the way we feed our bodies, and exercise it, we can ensure that we will not suffer diabetic complications in the future.

I wish you well in taking charge of your D. Take advantage of the support and wisdom offered on this forum.

Cheers

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Youve done well there Rory and can give yourself a pat on the back so to speak.Being diabetic is never easy is it but it can be fun adapting to new things and changing lifestyle etc.Its a challenge isnt it.I like a challenge always have and im slowly getting used to the idea of being diabetic and after yesterdays kick start from the diabetic nurse im getting inspired now.Keep up the good work :)

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only real way to know what you can eat without a massive spike is to test, test and teats. You might even be surprised what you can eat (I can eat pizza without a big spike but not spaghetti!) it is all a huge learning curve. Good luck.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Warning up front - this may come across as critical but it really isn't.
I'm trying to relate to how I was before diagnosis and how I made myself change.

Possibly the best thing you could do is to take a really hard look at your diet, and what you automatically want to eat.
Reading through your posts in this thread, you seem very attached to carbohydrates - which most people are as it is part of our traditional way of eating.
Your reaction to the food advice always comes back to what you should eat with your carbs:

"For instance the only veg I'll eat are Potatoes,Peas and Mushrooms."
Memo to self - drop the potatoes and try one new vegetable each week - you will eventually find another one you like :)
Even if you don't, mushrooms and peas without the potatoes work just fine.

"Hmmm that Atkins thingy looks interesting im going through it now and found a few questionable things eg

processed meat, eg sausage, burgers, ham, bacon, corned beef etc, but check for carb content on the label (eg no breadcrumbed ham, or honey roast ham);sausage and burger with maximum meat content and minimum carbohydrate; smoked and processed meats are okay but read the labels for nasty chemicals;

Does that mean that such as Bangers and mash are ok to eat?"

Ooops! where did the mash come from? I don't think that it was from the Atkins diet!
Bangers (more than 90% pork) are fine - go well with mushrooms and peas. :)
So no, not O.K.

"Burgers well id have thought they were a no no.Especially the ones at Mcd's which are usually dripping with fat."

Well, no, dripping with fat is good of you are going Low Carb High Fat.
At McDonalds the damage is done by the bun and the fries.
Also by the high sugar drinks and high carb shakes.

"Bacon i love a bacon butty on friday dinner.(cooked in the microwave and slapped between a tcake)"

Ooops! Tea cake? Why not have the bacon without the bread?
Could go well with sausages, mushrooms and peas :)

"Corned beef well yes i love that 2 usually on bread or a sub roll."

You can guess my response by now!

"Together with such as ham,pork,beef cooked meats.
On their own too small a meal,put em on bread more filling surely we are allowed some bread say 2 slices."

Now we are really at the central point of LCHF.
If you use carbohydrates to pack out your meal to make it "more filling" then you hit the whole problem of carbohydrates.
They provide bulk, but they are processed very quickly by your body and go straight through your blood stream into body fat.
This then makes you hungry again, so you want another "filling" meal with loads more carbohydrates.
So loads of glucose goes rushing into your blood, most of it goes into fat, and your body struggles to keep your blood glucose at a good level.

If you cut out the starchy carbohydrates and just eat proteins and fats and non-starchy vegetables then you should find meals much more satisfying and filling although you actually eat a lot less.

Then you should start to see the benefits - weight dropping and blood glucose numbers coming down.

So the message is - each time you look at a a meal, look for the starchy carbs and try to leave them out.

This will be very uncomfortable for you while you get your head around it.
I found it enormously difficult to give up carbs.
I love potatoes, especially mash and chips.
I love bread, pasta, all sorts of pies.
A chip butty with loads of brown sauce is heaven.
Cakes, biscuits, yum!

However once you accept that you have to change things and go through the addict's "cold turkey" (cold turkey...mmm...tasty) the cravings for carbs will leave you.

Many people manage very well by just cutting down the portion sizes of starchy carbs.
I found that I couldn't work like that - if there was bread in the house it just called to me all the time.
So - no bread in the house and no more cravings!

I know this is hard.

Hope this helps.

LGC