Diet that works with 3c

DiabeticDean

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My health
Has anybody found any specific foods that work with a damaged pancreas.
It doesn't seem to matter what I eat its always a miserable day in the bathroom.
It has made life very sad, I cant do anything or go anywhere without constant worry
I am taking viokase and have added an over the counter vitamin still no luck
8yrs of this and counting
Thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't seem to matter what I eat its always a miserable day in the bathroom.
It has made life very sad, I cant do anything or go anywhere without constant worry
Thanks
I have no experience with needing digestive enzymes, but from what I understand a lot depends on dosing and timing.
You might want to put in a search for creon in the search bar at the top of the page, this should give you some threads on how others deal with it.

Good luck, hope things will get better for you!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
As @Antje77 has suggested it would quite possibly worth thinking about Creon capsules. If your pancreas is damaged it will probably not be producing the digestive enzymes needed to process your food. It would be well worth having a word with your medical team about this.

See:

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking creon for a few years now, and it has helped. Still have good and bad days and if I know I am travelling take imodium too.
You will have to see how many you need to take when you eat. A large meal you will need to take more. Good luck

Mark1969y

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks
Hi,
I have been taking Creon for 3 years, following Pancreatic Cancer surgery. I left hospital being told to take 3x tablets (25,000 unit dose) with each meal. I too suffered for a long time with similar symptoms, then I spoke to Pancreatic Cancer UK and they gave me LOADS more information that any of the hospital staff or dietitians. Told me to increase my Creon - I now take 6-10 per meal, depending on size and content.
I also had some of my existing meds reviewed - was taking Metformin, changed to a slow-release type, now trialling coming off it as told that can cause these problems.
Also advised to look into a FODMAP type diet, which avoids some foods that cause bloating/gas - google FODMAP and you may find something useful. The thing is these foods somewhat contradict the advice from a diabetic perspective but speaking to my diabetic nurse I was told to prioritise getting my bowels in order, then they will help keep my diabetes in check.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I use Creon and found this helped greatly. I also successfully experimented with fermented foods based on my dietitian’s advice (because the strong antibiotics prescribed in hospital probably wiped much of my body’s natural biome and the pancreatitis badly damaged my stomach and intestines). I began with shop-bought products e.g. Yakult and Activia Yoghurt, but now make my own yoghurt, sauerkraut and kimchi - easy to do, plenty of recipes/instructions on the web.

I was advised to start with very small portions, or it can make symptoms worse in the short term.

Reactions: Antje77

GillyM

Been on Creon and Colesevelam about 3 years after pancreatic surgery. Find I have to adjust my Creon because it actually causes diarrhoea sometimes. More investigations to see how much my pancreas is working. Started insulin in December 2023 plus Metformin

Mark1969y

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Been on Creon and Colesevelam about 3 years after pancreatic surgery. Find I have to adjust my Creon because it actually causes diarrhoea sometimes. More investigations to see how much my pancreas is working. Started insulin in December 2023 plus Metformin

As per my previous post (Nov2023), I am on insulin and Creon (don't know about Colesevelam), and initially kept on Metformin when I started insulin late 2022. I too suffered a lot with loose and erratic bowel movements, sometimes felt I couldn't leave the safety of home! After various tests, they simply stopped my Metformin, controlling my diabetes with insulin only. Coincidence or not, I have seen a massive improvement over the last 6-8 weeks, I cannot believe it. That was a slow-release tablet too, which was meant to improve things but didn't. Hope you get some help and feel better soon.