Type 2 Dietary advice please!

Melmaille

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been following a low carb diet for about a year and have got the hba1c level down. However on my last blood test the triglycerides had gone up to +3.3 and I have been told that they need to come down too. I would like to reduce these by diet and supplements too - I now take fish oil capsules to help - but I would appreciate any advice on what I could eat for a dessert now cheese is out as well as puddings.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cream doesn't increase my trigs (they were 0.9 last test)
But that was on a fasting test.
Was your test fasting?

some people find that saturated fat is less beneficial for them than seems to work for me. In that case several people report that moving over to less sat fat with more fish oil, avocado oil and olive oil helps.

Oh - just had a thought - how low carb are you?
The reason I ask is that trigs are affected by a lot more that fat consumption. The usual suspects are carbs and alcohol...

Melmaille

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My test wasn't fasting. My last carbs were 6.3, the highest they have been was 6.9 on Hba1c. I dont eat bread, potatoes (sweet potatoes instead on occasion), pasta, rice (cauliflower rice is quite nice), sugar or processed food. I drink about 3 glasses of wine a week. My other change was to stop statins when I was diagnosed- I am certain this was the cause of the diabetes - and I don't want to go back on them. My next test is in January and I have to get the trigs down by then or go back on statins. I might fast for the next test!

I will try following a more fish and vegetable diet. The diabetes nurse I last saw said only cold pressed olive oil is ok but I am struggling to identify which fall into this category.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that info :)

I can't believe that amount of alcohol is going to be doing you much harm! :D

So yes, next time, I would turn up to the blood tests having fasted for 10 hours (a morning appt makes this MUCH easier), and your trigs will probably look a lot better. Trigs do rise after a fatty meal, because that fat is digested and transported round the bloodstream as Trigs.

The NHS recently decided not to insist on Fasting tests, because it feels that we don't live in a fasted state, so why have a blood test that doesn't represent how we are, most of the time.

My view is that since I skip breakfast and lunch a lot of the time (I intermittently fast) so I AM in a fasted state most of the time, and anyway, I want to know what my BACKGROUND trigs are, not the temporarily raised ones after a meal.

I agree with you on the statins. No one has ever offered them to me, but I will politely decline if they ever do.